Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Are DVD's just so 2000 now? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523178)

RealLifeMama 06-27-2017 02:08 PM

Are DVD's just so 2000 now?

I have some workout DVD's for pregnancy/postpartum that I am trying to rehome, preferably for some cash.
I listed 7 of them on a few different local for sale sites for $8 for all 7. One is brand new and currently sells for $19 on Amazon. That is better than Goodwill prices, but no one is wanting to purchase them.
I was like "Why not!? I would have jumped on this when I was pregnant!"
Then, it hit me- no one that is currently pregnant age has a DVD player anymore!! :doh

So, what do you think? Is it hopeless?
I am trying to sell as much stuff as I can. Not just baby items, but even things I can only sell for a few dollars. I even sold the unopened Bedazzler for $5. (I have another if anyone is interested.;) We are always short at the end of the month and every little bit helps, especially since it is summer and the kids want to go do stuff. But, at the same time, I really want to get unused items out of the house, and don't want to hold onto stuff that no one is going to buy if I could just cart it all to the thrift store.

AngelaVA 06-27-2017 02:19 PM

Re: Are DVD's just so 2000 now?

There's so many workout apps and YouTube videos i doubt a used DVD sounds very appealing. $8 is more than I have seen dvd's for at any of my local yard sale sites also, usually $5 or less. Favorite movies I think people still buy on DVD as a thing to collect. Workout DVD's not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealLifeMama 06-27-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 6092010)
There's so many workout apps and YouTube videos i doubt a used DVD sounds very appealing. $8 is more than I have seen dvd's for at any of my local yard sale sites also, usually $5 or less. Favorite movies I think people still buy on DVD as a thing to collect. Workout DVD's not so much.

It was $8 for all seven. I edited my post to reflect that.
But, yeah, that was my epiphany.

AngelaVA 06-27-2017 03:14 PM

$8 for all 7 is a good deal!

Soliloquy 06-27-2017 03:35 PM

I highly prefer DVDs for workouts but not for anything else. I would LOVE to get rid of all the rest of our DVDs but my dh won't go for it.

My friends who are in their 20s and 30s all stream their workouts.

2sunshines 06-27-2017 03:54 PM

Yea $8 for 7 dvds is a good price. But yes people are rarely buying dvd's anymore. Everyone just streams.

I'd keep them listed. It just takes one buyer. :D

Atsirk 06-27-2017 04:10 PM

I prefer workout DVDs over streaming (personal preference) but we stream everything else.

KarenBoo 06-28-2017 03:17 AM

Wait. What???

We have hundreds of DVDs. I could never afford to replace all of those with a purchased digital copy. Is this what people are doing now? Or is everyone just going with watching whatever is on Netflix and not bothering to buy a DVD of a favorite movie or show?:scratch

2sunshines 06-28-2017 03:30 AM

For the most part I think just streaming. With streaming and online rental so readily available I think people feel less of a need to actually own specific movies.

Dovenoir 06-29-2017 02:16 PM

Library donation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BecketteHinkley26 07-02-2017 06:35 PM

DVD are the things in the past. I know everyone talks about this anazon firestick

bananacake 07-02-2017 07:05 PM

I still have a record player (2, actually :shifty) and a VCR. So I might be the wrong person to ask!

sprout 07-03-2017 06:55 AM

we buy DVDs and VCR tapes still ...usually at the thrift store. But, we don't have the ability to stream....I would try selling them out of your area b/c there are still people who want them in my opinion.

HomeWithMyBabies 07-03-2017 07:03 AM

We still buy DVD's. Streaming doesn't always work, it starts buffering or disconnects and it's very annoying. I'm not sure we even have blu-ray.

I would buy your DVDs at that price.

We hooked up our VCR to watch Dh's original Star Wars....the VCR ate the tape! Be careful!

Virginia 07-03-2017 10:29 AM

I stream my workouts on BeachBody OnDemand or YouTube. I think there's a risk in buying used DVDs: you never know if they're scratched :(