Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Mowers? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=514558)

kiloyd 07-02-2015 07:25 PM

Mowers?

Ready for my mower saga?

We bought a mower from Walmart and it had a trigger handle you squeezed for the self propelled part. My son and I (we do the mowing) didn't like having to squeeze that the whole time.

So, I took it back and ordered a different one from Walmart, basically the same thing but with a bar for the self propelled activation. Got it yesterday and used it today. It is so slow!

I hate to take a 2nd mower back but when we spend $300 I'd like to really like it.

Sears Hometown Store has some mowers on sale. Might go look tomorrow.

I wish I could test drive mowers.

Keep wondering if a push mower would be just fine, it's what we had for 10 yrs or so. Then rented a house that had a really nice self propelled mower and loved it! I wish I had asked if we could have had it when we moved here.

So, what do you know about mowers?

We have 3/4 acre that is flat.

Aerynne 07-02-2015 07:47 PM

Re: Mowers?

I wouldn't do 3/4 acre with a push mower unless you REALLY like mowing. Our mower is a Toro. Dh picked it out specifically to be awesome. I like the mulching feature- with 3/4 of an acre I would think that would be a must- bagging that much would be annoying for sure!

kiloyd 07-03-2015 03:50 PM

We don't bag it.

The front yard is smaller and that takes 20 minutes. It has a big island thing of bushes that takes up 1/3 of the front.

We usually do the back in two sections.

I went to our Sears Hometown store and might get this one. If I can go test drive it tomorrow. It's on sale for $300 down from $400.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-m...irectType=SRDT

Well, on that website it is $280, if it's the same one. I'll ask them to price match.

This is so annoying! I returned one mower, going to return another, so this next one I buy better be a keeper! DH is annoyed but ds and I do the mowing. I didn't know buying a mower could be so much trouble!

2sunshines 07-07-2015 11:55 AM

Did you end up with that mower?

Soliloquy 07-07-2015 12:51 PM

I am in love with my Yard Machine. It was inexpensive but it works great and I really abuse it. I mow over 2 acres (we want a riding mower but it's not in the budget) and use it on thick brushy weeds, too. If you want a mower you will love forever, get a Honda. They are the number one rated mower and often last 20+ years. When my dad got a riding mower, he gave us his 10 year-old Honda. We used it over 10 years and then gave it to my BIL 3 years ago when we moved. He's still using it.

kiloyd 07-07-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 5930252)
Did you end up with that mower?

No, bought a Toro RWD.

I test drove my neighbor's Toro and it was great! She said she bought it at The Home Depot so we went there first. It was $360. Went to Sears Hometown and they didn't have the RWD in stock plus it was $380 so went back to Home Depot and bought the Toro.

Got the Walmart Snapper returned last night. Put together the Toro this morning and it is wonderful! Just push the handle and it takes off!

Soliloquy 07-07-2015 01:26 PM

:tu