Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Third grade science HELP (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526080)

marbles 09-16-2018 08:38 PM

Third grade science HELP

I'm starting school in two days and I still haven't picked a science curriculum. I had picked Abeka but then discovered I also needed the teacher's manual? I guess? I feel like so little information is given with each curriculum it's really hard to not only choose one but know how it works and what I might need with it. I need recommendations please. DM me if you have anything you like and want to sell for cheap :) Apologia comes highly recommended but I don't see any grade levels and I have to pick a specific type of science apparently. I'm lost.

Aerynne 09-16-2018 09:46 PM

Re: Third grade science HELP

Sassafras Science looks really neat!(I think they have 3 or 4 different ones)

The Good and the Beautiful Science does, too (lots of topic choices, too)

We are using Let’s Read and Find Out Science but there is a lot of prep for activities (basically searching Pinterest for unit study ideas to go with the books).

JoyGal 09-17-2018 04:13 AM

Have you looked at Master Books? They have some awesome science programs that we enjoy (along with loads of other great subjects.)

https://www.masterbooks.com

Love_Is_Patient 09-17-2018 04:51 AM

What kind of program are you looking for? Mostly reading, more hands on, one textbook vs a variety of books, etc? Any special interest s like animal s, space

Katigre 09-17-2018 07:34 AM

Apologia Elementary isn't specific to grade, they're all interchangeable (though IMO their Elementary Physics/Chemistry is far harder than the more concrete ones like Flying Creatures, Astronomy, etc...)

marbles 09-17-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyGal (Post 6156277)
Have you looked at Master Books? They have some awesome science programs that we enjoy (along with loads of other great subjects.)

https://www.masterbooks.com

I haven’t heard of that, I’ll look at it thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love_Is_Patient (Post 6156279)
What kind of program are you looking for? Mostly reading, more hands on, one textbook vs a variety of books, etc? Any special interest s like animal s, space

Partly, I don’t know. This is my first child so a lot of this is very new. I want something fun and interesting and that doesn’t jump around too much. We’ve done astronomy, anatomy, backyard ecosystem, but just on my own and I was hoping to cover things like living things and matter and scientific method. General science.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6156292)
Apologia Elementary isn't specific to grade, they're all interchangeable (though IMO their Elementary Physics/Chemistry is far harder than the more concrete ones like Flying Creatures, Astronomy, etc...)

This is too open ended for me, then.

mamacat 09-17-2018 07:58 AM

Offlne only? I know of a great online Zoology that kids his age love

heartofjoy 09-17-2018 08:16 AM

I really liked Jay Wile's Science series. Science in the Beginning, Science in the Ancient World, etc. It's got a hands on activity for every lesson though, so it's going to take a time investment. It's really good though.

I also like Mystery Science. It's online with videos and activities. Everything is explained in detail and it's fun. You can do fewer and go deeper with extra reading or you can just do the mysteries online and go through more.

I feel like you might need something different than these, but these are my favorites for that age group.

mamacat 09-17-2018 09:03 AM

https://allinonehomeschool.com/zoology/ There is this

ViolaMum 09-17-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 6156295)

Partly, I don’t know. This is my first child so a lot of this is very new. I want something fun and interesting and that doesn’t jump around too much. We’ve done astronomy, anatomy, backyard ecosystem, but just on my own and I was hoping to cover things like living things and matter and scientific method. General science.

A great book for learning the scientific method at that age is How to think like a scientist. by Stephen Cramer.

Noeo is great if you want a literature-based approach. It's classical/Charlotte Mason-y science divided by subject, though, not general science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry). We've done several levels. Then Chem and Physics spine books are super fun to have on hand. The experiments are explained well and not hard at all to do; I had most of the household supplies around and anything else was easy enough to find.

Sassafrass covers the topics decently but is poorly written. Last time I looked at it, the copy editing was AWFUL. They may have done a re-write since then, though.

A similar approach is the Quark Chronicles - the story line is much better and it's better writing and editing, but you need to find the supplemental materials. Much of it can just be from library books - read the chapter to get the overall concept, then go to the library to flesh out the details. I bought the notebooking book the first year just to get the hang of it. It's got great booklists.

Ellen J McHenry's stuff is information-packed, but also organized by topic. Units tend to be shorter, than other programs but can be stretched out a lot. She has loads of games and projects that are fun for younger kids, but they can get very involved. It worked a little better for my younger kids to tag along than to do them on their own.

If you can find them in print, the Backyard Scientist series is fabulous for kids that age.

HuggaBuggaMommy 09-17-2018 05:18 PM

We're using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. Many people have found the layout of the curriculum daunting - flowcharts and learning progressions - but someone, with the original author's permission, has created guided lesson plans now. That book is called Early Elementary Science Education. It's listed for K-2, but is definitely appropriate for 3rd grade, too. Both are available on Amazon.

Quiteria 09-18-2018 09:54 AM

I was just looking at that the other day. It's here:
https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Sc...XZ5AL&qid=&sr=

marbles 09-18-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy (Post 6156377)
We're using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. Many people have found the layout of the curriculum daunting - flowcharts and learning progressions - but someone, with the original author's permission, has created guided lesson plans now. That book is called Early Elementary Science Education. It's listed for K-2, but is definitely appropriate for 3rd grade, too. Both are available on Amazon.

Would I need both books, or just the guide?

HuggaBuggaMommy 09-18-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 6156457)
Would I need both books, or just the guide?

Just the guide. It also spans 2 years.

Katigre 09-18-2018 05:19 PM

IME the biggests piece of elementary science learning, regardless of curriculum, is doing weekly labs - that is what my kids remember most from each year of science we've done, and it's what really helps them learn the scientific method. They can learn to write basic lab reports, form hypothesis (make predictions in the "If...then..." format), and write about results. I think a reasonable lab budget per year is $100-150 (depending on what types of science you're doing. Some of this cost is only needing 1-2 items but having to buy in bulk). Our co-op science teachers buy all of the supplies at the beginning of the year and store them so they're ready to use.