Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Salads & Vegetable Dishes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=540)
-   -   Salad dressings (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=461441)

charla 09-30-2012 07:35 PM

Salad dressings

I love making homemade salad dressings. I think they taste absolutely fabulous and so easy to do. Plus tonight I can have greek vinaigrette, tomorrow I can have blue cheese, the next day I can have ranch and the day after that I can have italian without having four separate bottles of dressing in my fridge that I can't use up fast enough. I've found the easiest way for me to make dressings is just to dress the salad right in the serving bowl. For vinaigrette type dressings, I just add the ingredients right on top of the salad and then toss well. For creamy or emulsified dressings, I mix them in the bottom of the salad bowl and then put salad fixings on top and toss well. Easy, peasy. :)

Here are some of my favorites:

Greek: fresh squeezed lemon, olive oil, salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, dried oregano

Red wine italian: red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, dried oregano and a heavy sprinkling of parmesan cheese

Balsamic: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt (I usually serve this on a salad with dried cranberries or dried cherries for a sweet factor).

Ranch: equal parts mayo and buttermilk, granulated garlic, granulated onion, seasoned salt, parsley

Ranch versions: bacon ranch add bacon, peppercorn ranch add cracked pepper, parmesan ranch add parmesan cheese

White wine: white wine vinegar, olive oil, squeeze of dijon mustard, salt, pepper, oregano, granulated garlic, granulated onion

It really just takes I would guess less than 1/4 cup of dressing to dress a large salad bowl full of salad. And I can make a new one each night which makes me so very happy. :yum

So what dressings do you like to make?

jujubnme 09-30-2012 07:55 PM

Re: Salad dressings

I like making vinaigrettes too. :yes

One of my favorite special effort dressings is a southwestern caesar dressing:

• 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped shallots
  • 2 anchovy fillets
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 jalapeņo chili, seeded, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
I usually add a bunch of sour cream as well (at least a 1/4 cup) to make it a little thicker. Blend in the food processor or blender. This is scrumptious. :yum

charla 09-30-2012 08:02 PM

Mmmmmmm, that sounds delicious, Andrea.

charla 10-01-2012 11:43 AM

:bump :shifty

cro 10-01-2012 11:47 AM

Subbing. I haven't ventured farther than oil & vinegar. :shifty

RosalieMarie 10-01-2012 11:58 AM

:popcorn I haven't tried this yet, but I should! I love balsamic vinaigrette.

jujubnme 10-01-2012 06:02 PM

I'll add my variation of Balsamic Vinaigrette to bump the thread... I'd love to see some other favorites!

So I usually make about a cup at a time. 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar, a small garlic clove pressed, about 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper and my secret ingredient... a dash of maple syrup (the real kind)---no more than about 1 t.---and then 1/2 to 3/4 c. olive oil.

jblairosu 10-01-2012 07:00 PM

Charla, your dressings sound yummy! Do you have any measurements for the ingredients??? I know lots of people just kinda put a little of this, a little of that, etc but I'm not so adventurous and know I would totally mess it up if I didn't have at least some approximate amts ;)

jujubnme 10-01-2012 07:32 PM

Not Charla, but the standard ratio for vinaigrette is 1 part vinegar (or acid like lemon) to 3 parts oil. Then you can play around with seasonings to taste. Also, if you're trying to make the dressing separate from just tossing the ingredients with the salad, add the oil in last, pouring in a slow stream while whisking to emulsify (or use a blender ;)).

charla 10-01-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblairosu (Post 4881431)
Charla, your dressings sound yummy! Do you have any measurements for the ingredients??? I know lots of people just kinda put a little of this, a little of that, etc but I'm not so adventurous and know I would totally mess it up if I didn't have at least some approximate amts ;)

:hug I knew someone would ask for measurements. I hate measuring so I have no idea really. :shifty :doh

Ranch dressing if you're not making it right in the salad bowl but in a separate jar is 1 cup mayo, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp seasoned salt, 1 tsp dried parsley, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp granulated onion, shake to mix.

Other than that, I can't really do measurements. :-/

I use juice of two lemons for the greek and a couple glugs of olive oil and then sprinkle the herbs and spices on top and then toss thoroughly. We used to do juice of one lemon for the same salad, but as we got used to the lemon and we wanted more. You might want to start with one if you aren't used to sour lemon.

For the vinegar dressings, I sprinkle the vinegar on the top of the salad until I can lift up the bowl and see droplets on the bottom of the bowl. Scientific, I know. :giggle

It's okay to taste. When I was first making them, I would put in what I thought (erring on the sparing side), mix and then taste and then add accordingly and mix again. If it's too sour, add more olive oil, if it's too bland, add more salt, spices or acid. It's really fun to live on the edge and not measure, really. :shifty

That probably doesn't help much at all, does it? :doh