Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   almond milk ice cream recipe? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=359863)

passthemanna 05-18-2010 12:03 PM

almond milk ice cream recipe?

does anyone have a good almond milk ice cream recipe?

Mama Rophe 05-18-2010 12:25 PM

Re: almond milk ice cream recipe?

:cup

Cherish 05-18-2010 02:27 PM

:bump would love to know myself. :)

natalianmama 05-18-2010 02:44 PM

We use our blender and add frozen very ripe banana chunks, and add almond milk to make it blend to a nice soft serve ice cream consistency. I like to add walnuts to mine and a bit of cacao nibs. Kids like to throw in some strawberries for their ice cream. It's simple and good, just need to freeze the bananas ahead of time. You can add a few dates if your almond milk is plain, or to make it sweeter, but for me the bananas do the trick.

passthemanna 05-18-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalianmama (Post 3091349)
We use our blender and add frozen very ripe banana chunks, and add almond milk to make it blend to a nice soft serve ice cream consistency. I like to add walnuts to mine and a bit of cacao nibs. Kids like to throw in some strawberries for their ice cream. It's simple and good, just need to freeze the bananas ahead of time. You can add a few dates if your almond milk is plain, or to make it sweeter, but for me the bananas do the trick.

mmm...that sounds pretty similar to our smoothies but we don't freeze the bananas. I bet if i add a bit of arrowroot & put the mixture in my ice cream maker it'll be super yummy.

natalianmama 05-18-2010 11:55 PM

let me know how it turns out, I saw an ice cream maker today at the market, hmmmm....we just do it this way b/c we only have a blender, but I have managed a lot of fruit sorbets. I like this b/c it doesn't need sweetner. The kids just think it's ice cream and they think I'm great for letting them eat as much as they want!
Maybe you could add cocoa to make it chocolate-walnut-banana, I am thinking to try it next time:icecream

sprout 05-19-2010 08:43 AM

sounds yum!

we will try it too!

passthemanna 05-19-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalianmama (Post 3092267)
let me know how it turns out, I saw an ice cream maker today at the market, hmmmm....we just do it this way b/c we only have a blender, but I have managed a lot of fruit sorbets. I like this b/c it doesn't need sweetner. The kids just think it's ice cream and they think I'm great for letting them eat as much as they want!
Maybe you could add cocoa to make it chocolate-walnut-banana, I am thinking to try it next time:icecream

i was thinking of getting an Endangered Species chocolate bar & breaking it up. I've been wanting to make ice cream for our churches monthly potluck- it's finally warm enough. I will have to make a practice batch first :shifty

natalianmama 05-19-2010 01:46 PM

wow that sound good, practice batch sounds like a sweet idea, too;)

ShangriLewis 05-29-2010 10:13 AM

There is a vegan ice cream book and the ice cream base is made from raw cashews. So, if it doesn't work, maybe you could try making homemade almond milk at double strength. It's the fat that sets up the ice cream in the makers. We had success with coconut milk.

sprout 06-03-2010 02:42 PM

we tried this and it was super yum.

in a food processor we put two bananas and some almond milk. whirl girl whirl! Then, we placed it in our ice cream maker and thirty minutes later we had a super awesome treat. I think both girls wanted second cones!

erh384 06-03-2010 03:10 PM

taking notes... dd could use a nice icy-treat