Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Popcorn poppers? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527489)

kiloyd 08-13-2019 11:20 AM

Popcorn poppers?

I need a new popcorn popper. Had a Whirlypop for years and really liked it. The wire inside is bent and I cant' seem to get it exactly back where it's supposed to be.

Grew up with a hot air popper. Haven't eaten hot air popcorn in a long time.

What do you like?

esperanza 08-13-2019 11:21 AM

Re: Popcorn poppers?

We just pop popcorn in a brown paper bag. Quick, easy, and less to store. Maybe not so great if you need to make a lot at once though.

kiloyd 08-13-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6189166)
We just pop popcorn in a brown paper bag. Quick, easy, and less to store. Maybe not so great if you need to make a lot at once though.

In the microwave? Put any oil in it?

I did use just a pot on the stove last week and that worked pretty well.

heartofjoy 08-13-2019 12:12 PM

I just use a stainless steel pot with a glass lid on the stove. Works great!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Mother of Sons 08-13-2019 12:29 PM

We do ours on the stove with oil or in a bag in the microwave with butter and salt

esperanza 08-13-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6189168)
In the microwave? Put any oil in it?

I did use just a pot on the stove last week and that worked pretty well.

No, just dry popcorn. We add salt and butter after it is popped.

kiloyd 08-13-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6189195)
No, just dry popcorn. We add salt and butter after it is popped.

Will have to try that. A paper lunch bag with 1/2 cup popcorn or less and fold it over?

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6189172)
I just use a stainless steel pot with a glass lid on the stove. Works great!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I did that last week and it did great. Today it popped fine, the popcorn was just too hard, it was wierd, you know, the hard kernel pieces.

esperanza 08-13-2019 07:41 PM

Yes, about half a cup is good. Just beware it may start coming out of the bag and spilling into the microwave. Depends on how big the bag is and how much you fold it over. Ours only needs 3 minutes. Much longer and it starts to burn.

knitlove 08-13-2019 07:46 PM

When my air proper dies I gave it up and I just pop it on the stove top

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Littledisciples 09-09-2019 07:50 AM

I am in the same boat lol but I had one I loved we totally wore it out because we have such a big family and use it a lot. We had an old fashioned popper a smaller version as they have in the theaters. :shrug3 Anyway we just put coconut oil in it and popcorn and it was great. I want to get another one like that. It makes the best popcorn.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

So I googled it mine was a westbend stir crazy hot oil popper. I know it says to use oil but I used coconut oil always in mine.

kiloyd 09-09-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littledisciples (Post 6191325)
I am in the same boat lol but I had one I loved we totally wore it out because we have such a big family and use it a lot. We had an old fashioned popper a smaller version as they have in the theaters. :shrug3 Anyway we just put coconut oil in it and popcorn and it was great. I want to get another one like that. It makes the best popcorn.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

So I googled it mine was a westbend stir crazy hot oil popper. I know it says to use oil but I used coconut oil always in mine.

I think I've seen that, or something just like it, at Kroger. Like the idea of coconut oil.

I've done popcorn plain in a bag in the microwave I think 3 times now. Only popped about half kernels first time. My daughter did it and said it popped most of them. Will try it a few more times that way.

Considering a hot air popper too.

Soliloquy 09-09-2019 10:41 PM

I do it on the stove with expeller pressed coconut oil (about 2/3) and olive oil (about 1/3).

Littledisciples 09-10-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6191406)
I think I've seen that, or something just like it, at Kroger. Like the idea of coconut oil.

I've done popcorn plain in a bag in the microwave I think 3 times now. Only popped about half kernels first time. My daughter did it and said it popped most of them. Will try it a few more times that way.

Considering a hot air popper too.

Once you go with coconut oil you will not want to go back to any other way it adds the best flavor. I have had people who don’t even use natural stuff say its the best they ever had lol

ViolaMum 09-10-2019 02:46 PM

My kids like coconut oil-popped popcorn, too. The littlest always asks for "that yellow 'tuff what you shake"- nutritional yeast. Yum! We make it in a dutch oven on the stove. I've toyed with getting an air popper just for the convenience, though. It does turn out slightly dryer popcorn that absolutely requires toppings.

Littledisciples 09-11-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6191518)
My kids like coconut oil-popped popcorn, too. The littlest always asks for "that yellow 'tuff what you shake"- nutritional yeast. Yum! We make it in a dutch oven on the stove. I've toyed with getting an air popper just for the convenience, though. It does turn out slightly dryer popcorn that absolutely requires toppings.

My kids love nutritional yeast too. :rockon. Defiantly going to try that next time too. Good idea