Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Ford Focus? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527451)

RealLifeMama 08-02-2019 10:56 AM

Ford Focus?

Has anyone here ever had a Ford Focus?
I've looked online to try to get info, but I like to hear from "real people".
Specifically, we are looking at a 2012 hatchback.
I am concerned about safety and reliability.
The price is what we can pay, and we need it right away, so I can't really spend weeks looking for the right used car to pop up.

2sunshines 08-03-2019 04:25 AM

Re: Ford Focus?

We have a 2005 Ford Focus. We bought it used about 8 years ago. It was the main vehicle I drove until about a year ago when my 18 year old took it over as his main vehicle for work and school.

It's not a hatchback. Just a regular 4 door.

MamaRachel 08-03-2019 05:15 AM

We have a 2012 Ford focus, just a 4 door though. We've had it for about 3 years and it's been a good car for us so far.

Aerynne 08-03-2019 06:44 AM

We have an ‘06. It’s reliable.Fortunately we haven’t had to find out about safety first hand (I think stats are way better than personal experience on that one!). It is pretty tiny- that was weird at first. I’m talking about the space inside the car. It wasn’t super comfy at 9 months pregnant because I was big. It was doable- just felt a little squished.

tempus vernum 08-03-2019 07:28 AM

I don’t have a Ford Focus but we have become a Ford family. It happened at first just because a Ford Flex Fit our needs. But when we needed a new vehicle we got a second Ford (fusion) because our flex has been so reliable and easy for my dh to maintain (he does all the car maintenance and repair for us!)

We chose the fusion because of extra space but I’d not hesitate to buy a Ford Flex for a kid if it’s been well taken care of. My dh is fastidious about fixing things so small things are nipped in the bud.

Our cars are a 2010 and a 2011.

ViolaMum 08-03-2019 05:21 PM

My parents just bought their third Focus. They love it. They've had one sedan and two hatchbacks. They have always bought Fords; my uncle used to work for Ford. (I have a cousin who still does.)

The four-door was comfortable. I drive a mini-van and never found it too small. (The back seat of the hatchback may be a different story, though. I've never ridden there.) It's comfortable for four people, five may fit, (I think there's a third seat belt in the back?) but it would be a little tight. The trunk holds a reasonable amount. I've seen my mom fit three coolers in the trunk.

Installing car seats in the Focus is a dream! It's the easiest car I've ever had to use.

The gas mileage is great and the ride and handling is as well. My SIL used to have one and when she moved across the country DH and I drove it to her new home for her so that she could fly with her kids.

RealLifeMama 08-04-2019 06:20 PM

We looked a couple of Ford Focuses. (Focii??) Both 2012.
One was just "meh" and a little more than what we wanted to pay, especially for a bare bones car.
The second was the exact price we wanted to pay, plus it had some really great features like heated leather seats (which I am guessing up North where she will be, that might be a good thing?) It has a back up camera, warning beeps when getting too close to stuff, parking assist, phone connectivity for hands free, etc.
New tires, too.
The thing is that now I am reading about transmission trouble in the Focus for the model year.
The person that owns it got it in 2015. He says it has had no trouble.
He bought it from Carmax.
All the people in reviews I am seeing have had trouble after a couple of years. I am thinking, if there was going to be a big problem like people are describing, which is a major design problem, there would have already been a problem before the car was 7 years old, right?

tempus vernum 08-04-2019 07:20 PM

I can’t speak about transmissions but I love my warming seats up here in WI . However to me it’s a luxury because it’s the first car I’ve owned w them. But for a transplant from a warm climate may he a necessity :think However, now that I have a 6 minute commute they won’t warm up by then :shrug3 if she is like me doesn’t have time to warm up car for more than 3 minutes. I just dress warm.