Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Kitchen sink cleaning (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522390)

kiloyd 03-20-2017 07:17 PM

Kitchen sink cleaning

Do you clean your kitchen sink? If so, with what and how often?

I wash dishes every day and wipe out the sink when I wash or as the hot soapy water drains. To me if I am washing my dishes and expect the hot soapy water to get dishes clean then it should also be getting the sink clean. My mom thinks otherwise and that I should also weekly (at least) clean it with an actual cleanser like Soft scrub or something.

RiverRock 03-20-2017 07:23 PM

Re: Kitchen sink cleaning

We have well water (treated so it's soft, but not chlorinated) so I sanitize my sinks once a week. It's not just the sink, but I take apart the plug because that gets grungy if left for more than a week. I also sanitize the faucets. If our water was chlorinated I might not be as worried about bacteria growth.

charla 03-20-2017 07:27 PM

I've often wondered about this. :think

mommychem 03-20-2017 08:49 PM

No, I don't. :think Actually, I guess I kinda do. :think Before I run the water for dishes, I move the dishes that have collected and clean the sink with dish soap and hot-tish water to get anything that may have been left on the dishes and dropped into the sink. But I don't use a special cleaner. I let that water drain then rinse the sink with hot water. Then plug it and run water for dishes. After dishes are done, I just let the water run out and rinse.

Mother of Sons 03-20-2017 09:15 PM

I do but just with dish soap. I think sinks are gross though. I see people pile food in them and it totally weirds me out!

MaySunflowers 03-21-2017 01:12 AM

Just dish soap. I have a thing about sinks though. Just can't wash in a sink full of water. I soap up dishes then rinse them in running water.... so not as bothered about sterilizing the sink.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

2sunshines 03-21-2017 01:54 AM

I wash meat in my sink pretty regularly so I like to disinfect it after that. Raw meat bacteria skeeves me out.

twoplustwo 03-21-2017 05:48 AM

My sink is (unfortunately) white. I have and do clean it with dish soap or cleaner or bleach. Usually the bleach when it starts to stain.

How often is probably weekly-ish.

KarenBoo 03-21-2017 06:28 AM

If *I* am the one in the kitchen, when the sink is finally empty of dirty dishes, I use a soapy sponge and fully scrub the sink, faucet, etc and shine the faucet. I don't do the dishes as much as I used to, as DH has taken that over. But if it was me, it would be every night, because that's what my mama taught me.:heart

I don't use bleach or disinfectant though.

RealLifeMama 03-21-2017 03:43 PM

My sink is white. I use bar keepers friend if it starts to look dingy, but I usually just use dish soap and a brush I keep for that purpose.
If it is clean and has black marks, which it gets sometimes, I use a magic eraser.

ECingMama 03-21-2017 03:45 PM

I think sinks and pillows are probably the dirtiest things in the house! :shifty

I use bar keeper's friend.

If you really clean out your sink every night and wash with soapy water, I wouldn't worry. You haven't gotten sick yet, right? :)

twoplustwo 03-21-2017 05:31 PM

Oh yes, that's what dh got for our sink - Bar Keepers friend. I couldnt remember the name of it, I was thinking "not comet" but a powder. It does work really well.

I never heard of it until I met dh, but he knew of it growing up I guess.

kiloyd 03-21-2017 06:37 PM

Exactly! I don't see the need for bleach or Comet if I expect the hot soapy water to clean things like raw meat off plates.

ECingMama 03-21-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6074626)
Exactly! I don't see the need for bleach or Comet if I expect the hot soapy water to clean things like raw meat off plates.

Well, I don't wash dishes.

I shove all of it into the dishwasher. So I do need to wash my sink! ha!

I try not to wash more than a few items a day! And I cook A LOT. But I'm also totally willing to run dishwasher 2X a day once a week or so.

tempestjewel 03-30-2017 03:08 PM

I use baking soda and vinegar for regular day to day cleaning. I use Seventh Generation disinfecting spray after raw meat/eggs. Dh almost never washes the sink. I like to give it a good wipe out at least weekly, if not more. But I have a lot of mouths to feed daily, so a lot passes through my sink!

Aerynne 03-30-2017 03:54 PM

I scrub with dish soap and the scrubby sponge I use for dishes. I don't see why that should be a problem!

ECingMama 03-30-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6076287)
I scrub with dish soap and the scrubby sponge I use for dishes. I don't see why that should be a problem!

how often do you wash your sponge? Mine goes in weekly. I use wash cloths more though. And only for one set of dishes, usually.

Aerynne 03-31-2017 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6076288)
how often do you wash your sponge? Mine goes in weekly. I use wash cloths more though. And only for one set of dishes, usually.

When it stinks. I also microwave it after using it when I think of it. That kills germs. That doesn't happen too often, though.

ViolaMum 03-31-2017 07:46 AM

I have an undermount sink. I make sure to scrub the edge of the counter that overhangs the sink once or twice a week with soapy steel wool. It's a great place for bacteria and gunk to hide. Otherwise, I just wipe out the sink itself with a soapy sponge.

I run my dishwasher at LEAST twice a day, three times if I'm going to keep up with ALL the dishes, and there's STILL stuff to hand wash. (There are always dishes in my sink!) EC, how do you get away with doing that only once a week? Or better yet, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!!?????

ECingMama 03-31-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6076393)
I have an undermount sink. I make sure to scrub the edge of the counter that overhangs the sink once or twice a week with soapy steel wool. It's a great place for bacteria and gunk to hide. Otherwise, I just wipe out the sink itself with a soapy sponge.

I run my dishwasher at LEAST twice a day, three times if I'm going to keep up with ALL the dishes, and there's STILL stuff to hand wash. (There are always dishes in my sink!) EC, how do you get away with doing that only once a week? Or better yet, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!!?????

Plain and simple, I'm sure I'm lying. I don't want to hand wash, so I don't acknowledge that I do it as often as I do. :lol

My husband helps in the kitchen too. He was gone for 5 weeks, and I kept on making real food. I really missed my kitchen helper!

Cbwfelty 03-31-2017 08:35 PM

I love using Norwex for the kitchen and bathroom. If you have a porcelain sink their blue cleaner is really good!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 04-02-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6076499)
Plain and simple, I'm sure I'm lying. I don't want to hand wash, so I don't acknowledge that I do it as often as I do. :lol

My husband helps in the kitchen too. He was gone for 5 weeks, and I kept on making real food. I really missed my kitchen helper!

Thanks!

My dad likes to joke that my mom would have a dishwasher if she could only get him off the couch. :giggle The irony is that he actually does a lot of dishes. Now MY hubs on the other hand . . . . . . . . . . .