Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   make ahead/buy ahead/freezer DF meals? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523616)

esperanza 08-23-2017 07:21 PM

make ahead/buy ahead/freezer DF meals?

We're approaching survival mode time at our house. I need some easy meals in the freezer. Thinking about going to Trader Joe's. We have one in our city, but I go maybe once a year. I just never find a lot, but I'm open to ideas! Dh really can't tolerate dairy, and I feel like all my good crock pot/freezer recipes and everything in the stores include dairy! Cheese, I love my cheese! I'd prefer low-carb. Trying to lose weight, and I know I eat too many carbs.

Must to be easy. I will need to prep the night before, put it in the crock pot, or pull it out of the freezer in the afternoon. Remember- survival mode!

We do sometimes get these chinese veggies with rice or noodles, but they stick terribly to my pans, which makes them a total pain. But an easy dump and cook meal.

Ideas?

Aerynne 08-23-2017 08:14 PM

Re: make ahead/buy ahead/freezer DF meals?

taco soup, minestrone (no noodles- they thaw mushy- add later if you want them), and this http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/...ck_beans_mango

were the three main dinners I froze before baby.

charla 08-23-2017 08:46 PM

I'm not sure that this would freeze beforehand, but one of the easiest meals I make is to put chicken breasts, a can of rotel, and an envelope of taco seasoning in the crockpot and cook all day. In another crockpot I put this recipe for spicy pinto beans. Then when we are ready to eat, I shred the chicken with two forks (so easy after being in the crockpot all day), I put out tostadas, taco shells, or tortillas for the chicken, and desired toppings like shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, jarred salsa, sour cream and serve the beans on the side. Sometimes I make Mexican rice if I have time.

Lady Grey 08-24-2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6102632)
I'm not sure that this would freeze beforehand, but one of the easiest meals I make is to put chicken breasts, a can of rotel, and an envelope of taco seasoning in the crockpot and cook all day. In another crockpot I put this recipe for spicy pinto beans. Then when we are ready to eat, I shred the chicken with two forks (so easy after being in the crockpot all day), I put out tostadas, taco shells, or tortillas for the chicken, and desired toppings like shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, jarred salsa, sour cream and serve the beans on the side. Sometimes I make Mexican rice if I have time.

You could definitely freeze the chicken, rotel and taco seasoning ahead of time. :yes

RiverRock 08-24-2017 08:58 AM

If you buy thin sliced beef you can quickly cut it into slices that will also cook quickly. From here I sometimes make a broccoli and sweet onion stir fry, then add the beef and douse as needed with Soyaki sauce from Trader Joe's. I think stir-fry can get become a prep nightmare with too many veggies so sometimes I just keep it simple. Instead of beef, frozen prawns or shrimp added straight from the freezer is even easier. Serve with either rice or your favourite quick-cooking asian noodles.

RiverRock 08-27-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6102628)
taco soup, minestrone (no noodles- they thaw mushy- add later if you want them), and this http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/...ck_beans_mango

were the three main dinners I froze before baby.

Is your taco soup recipe easy to share?

Maedchen 08-27-2017 03:59 PM

Spaghetti sauce freezes really well and then you would just have to reheat and make noodles.

Rice cooked and then placed in quart bags is fast and easy to reheat.

Frozen meatloaf I usually cook mine,but you can just mix and freeze in the pan.

You can make biscuits using what ever dairy substitute you use and freeze them raw on a pan and then just take out as many as you need to have hot bread. (Cook as you normally would)

You can place frozen chicken into the crock pot and just add to it and turn it on. I also have place a frozen beef roast and just seasoned it up and turned it on and let it cook all day or all night and it was perfect for the meals. (I try to cook enough meat that will last for 3 meals)