Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   What does Pearl actually teach? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=347060)

Taedareth 02-20-2010 07:40 PM

What does Pearl actually teach?

Is there a website where I can read chapters from his book? I don't want to buy a copy or request it from the library :shifty I just need to know what he actually teaches so i can have an intelligent discussion about it with friends who think Pearl is wonderful :sick They don't seem like child-beating moms, so I can't understand what they like about Pearl. Does he actually advocate hitting babies with a stick or what exactly? :scratch

I'm sure this topic has come up on this forum before. If you have a link to another thread that would answer my question, I'd appreciate it! :heart

hopeforchange 02-20-2010 07:47 PM

Re: What does Pearl actually teach?

you used to be able to read his book online for free, but now it's not there anymore. i'm sure someone can summarize it for you, but it's truly one of the most sickening things i've ever read. :sick

relizabeth 02-20-2010 07:49 PM

Here's a link to a Christian anti-spanking site with lots of excerpts from TTUAC.

http://www.stoptherod.net/ttuac.html

Taedareth 02-20-2010 07:58 PM

Thank you! That link is very helpful.

A friend told me that Pearl recommends buying a "plumbing line" at a hardware store for hitting children with. I repeated that to DH and he was like, "A what? There's no plumbing tool by that name. Does she mean a snake, the thing you use for unclogging a drain?" :scratch

keepinghome 02-20-2010 08:04 PM

I JUST bought a copy for 75 cents off half.com. (plus $3+ shipping :hunh) I felt it was worth it to have a copy to mark all over :mad

saturnfire16 02-20-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth (Post 2913914)

A friend told me that Pearl recommends buying a "plumbing line" at a hardware store for hitting children with. I repeated that to DH and he was like, "A what? There's no plumbing tool by that name. Does she mean a snake, the thing you use for unclogging a drain?" :scratch

Plumbing supply line. Yes, it's really at the hardware store and yes, they specifically say that is the thing to use because it causes a sting without leaving a bruise. Wouldn't want people to see bruises and suspect they're hitting their kids with 10 (that's the recommended number) swats at time.

keepinghome 02-20-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

In the news video on the Pearl-death they show it and say its a "1/4 inch plumbing supply line", I think. They actually don't mention it in the book (if I remember correctly), just on their website.

DoulaClara 02-20-2010 08:11 PM

It's a 1/4 inch type of tubing, used typically by plumbers, but it's probably a multi-use thing (although God knows it was never meant to be used on children). I don't think that it's called "plumbing line" officially, but I think most people who run to Lowes to buy it can ask for that and usually get aimed in the direction of the PVC tubing. :sick

Be careful with reading. I know I've said this a lot recently, but when I started reading what they actually write (shortly after Gianna was born), it messed me up a lot, emotionally. Like, it affected my marriage, the way I interacted with a family member who seems to like the Pearls, etc. It was BAD. I wanted to get a primary source for my arguments against them, and it really shook me to the core- the Pearls are, I firmly believe, being used as a tool of Satan himself. My family member in law keeps trying to get DH to agree to take a copy of the book to at least look at it and decide for himself, but I've set the firm boundary that if the book ever shows up in my house at all for any reason, it's going in the fireplace with a hefty soaking of fuel and as many matches that I can throw at it. It's pure evil. I know another mom on these boards gave the book a shot a short while ago, and she had a similar visceral reaction. Make sure your faith is rock-solid, make sure you are surrounding yourself with people who can re-orient you spiritually and emotionally, and know when to put it down, whether you borrow it or read it or somehow come into contact with it somehow. I read it while it was still online, and that was still bad enough.

Patrysha 02-20-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

By plumbing line they mean plumbing supply line, it's not a tool but a tube used to supply water to faucets.

charla 02-20-2010 08:16 PM

Subbing...

Mother of Sons 02-20-2010 08:19 PM

I agree to be careful if you read it. It can really mess you up and they are veeeery manipulative and it's easy to start believing what he says even while being sickened by what he advises.

canadiyank 02-20-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrysha (Post 2913938)
By plumbing line they mean plumbing supply line, it's not a tool but a tube used to supply water to faucets.

I think it's smaller than that...I have 1/4 inch inside my toilet...I think it's 1/2 inch under the sink. Anyways, it's a tube that water flows through, yes.

relizabeth 02-20-2010 08:30 PM

It's called "1/4" plumbing supply line" on the Pearls' website. :sick

If you want to *see* what it looks like, I posted a link to a video news story where they actually show it. :sick

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...34#post2913434

Patrysha 02-20-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiyank (Post 2913978)
I think it's smaller than that...I have 1/4 inch inside my toilet...I think it's 1/2 inch under the sink. Anyways, it's a tube that water flows through, yes.

Ah yes, it does come in different sizes for different purposes (all involving the flow of water and waste and NOT the harming of children) the stuff that the Pearl's recommend would be more toilet sized than faucet sized.

hopeforchange 02-20-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaClara (Post 2913937)

Be careful with reading. I know I've said this a lot recently, but when I started reading what they actually write (shortly after Gianna was born), it messed me up a lot, emotionally. Like, it affected my marriage, the way I interacted with a family member who seems to like the Pearls, etc. It was BAD. I wanted to get a primary source for my arguments against them, and it really shook me to the core- the Pearls are, I firmly believe, being used as a tool of Satan himself. My family member in law keeps trying to get DH to agree to take a copy of the book to at least look at it and decide for himself, but I've set the firm boundary that if the book ever shows up in my house at all for any reason, it's going in the fireplace with a hefty soaking of fuel and as many matches that I can throw at it. It's pure evil. I know another mom on these boards gave the book a shot a short while ago, and she had a similar visceral reaction. Make sure your faith is rock-solid, make sure you are surrounding yourself with people who can re-orient you spiritually and emotionally, and know when to put it down, whether you borrow it or read it or somehow come into contact with it somehow. I read it while it was still online, and that was still bad enough.

:yes2

even when i was HIGHLY punitive minded (before kids/pregnany with dd), i couldn't stomach the book and argued vehemently against it. it's vile. :sick