Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Favorite ways to use garden produce (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522496)

charla 04-01-2017 08:39 AM

Favorite ways to use garden produce

So in the spirit of our Gardening Christian Mothers today let's share some of our favorite ways to use garden produce. Maybe it's from your garden, from the farmer's market or from the grocery store. What are your family's favorite ways to eat produce? Please share recipes if you like as well. :)

Singingmom 04-01-2017 09:08 AM

Re: Favorite ways to use garden produce

Summer tomatoes are the best. For lunch, under the broiler...bread with a little mayo, a fat slice of tomato, top with a little grated cheese or just a sprinkle of salt and pepper. I honesty could eat that every day!

Zucchini bread. :yum

charla 04-01-2017 09:38 AM

Cucumbers:

I love cucumber salads of all kinds. Here are a few of my faves:

Cilantro Lime Cumber Salad
Sweet-and-Sour Cucumbers with Dill
Cucumbers dressed simply with white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and dill

Radishes:

I loved these sauteed in a little butter with plenty of salt and pepper. It totally mellows out the flavor.

Tomatoes:

Who can beat a summertime BLT with tomatoes fresh from the garden?! :yum

Asparagus:

I love this fresh from the garden and lightly steamed with salt, pepper, a pat of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice. The best!

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

This is our favorite fruit salad and we add a little mint from the garden to it.

2sunshines 04-01-2017 03:24 PM

The two garden items that we are always in abundance of in harvest season is zucchini and heirloom tomatoes.

Zucchini noodles are an absolute fave here. I use them as a pasta or rice substitute. LOVE LOVE LOVE so much. Sauteed or raw.

Stuffed zucchini boats are a fantastic use of the bigger zukes that get lost under those leaves. :shifty

I also do zucchini rounds which are just slices of zucchini drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and parm cheese and baked.

Of course zucchini bread and zucchini brownies.

Tomatoes are used as much as possible fresh in a wide variety of ways. Then I puree the rest and freeze to use in recipes all winter long. :heart

charla 04-01-2017 04:01 PM

I'd like to get my hands on a larger zucchini this summer and try zucchini lasagna. The zucchini in the grocery stores are so small.

CelticJourney 04-01-2017 06:34 PM

I just learned how to make spegetti sauce, so I'm going to take advantage of tomato season this year to stock up. Dd2 makes killer salsa.

I want to learn how to make 'spegetti' from zuccini.

mamacat 04-02-2017 07:11 AM

2 sunshines how and what do you make Z noodles with? We have one gadget didnt work all that well. Also I made lasagna with long thin slices of Z one time presalted and sweated in place of the pasta and it was sooo good

2sunshines 04-02-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 6076829)
2 sunshines how and what do you make Z noodles with? We have one gadget didnt work all that well. Also I made lasagna with long thin slices of Z one time presalted and sweated in place of the pasta and it was sooo good

I have a vegetable spiralizer like this (linked below) that works ok and I will use when I need to make a super large batch of them. But truthfully it sits in my cupboard 99% of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Ve...rds=spiralizer

This is my go to gadget. A simple hand held julienne cutter. When I'm just cutting up a couple zuke for dh and I (which is usually what I'm doing) I use this. Quick and simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mamacat 04-03-2017 07:44 AM

My dd gave us one of those years ago and it just occurred to me that it had 2 sides :shifty thankyou http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe...iladas-recipe/