Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Have you ever downsized your fridge size? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525292)

2TMama 05-06-2018 03:53 PM

Have you ever downsized your fridge size?

How did you make it work for you....

Especially if your family size stayed the same :shrug3

PLEASE TELL ME it was easy, painless, and really didn’t require going to the store a lot more :phew

Our new house has appliances, but the fridge (not sure of size of either *exactly*, but i know our current fridge is bigger ;)) is smaller than ours. We did plan to replace them at some point; however, the spot in the cabinety for the fridge wouldn’t accommodate a bigger one...so, it isn’t as simple as just replacing it.

2sunshines 05-06-2018 04:09 PM

Re: Have you ever downsized your fridge size?

Never downsized but never upsized. The current house we have was built in the 60s and the fridge opening drastically limits the fridge size that will fit. Basically only the basic older style models. I dream of a big fancy fridge but it's been fine without. :shrug3 Honestly you will just acclimate to what you have and the change may be noticeable at first but pretty soon you'll not even notice anymore.

We have a family of 6.

Aerynne 05-06-2018 04:29 PM

Moved to Europe once and our fridge sized drastically reduced. I was a teen but didn’t think it was a big deal. It was a teeny fridge we had.

sweetpeasmommy 05-06-2018 05:08 PM

Have you ever downsized your fridge size?

Yes, we accidentally bought a smaller one from the used appliance guy. He mentioned it was smaller but I didn’t think it was a big deal and our previous one had croaked in the middle of summer so it was urgent. I really, really hate it and want to replace it. There are only 3 of us so I can make it work but everything tends to get shoved to the back and finding anything requires a full excavation of the fridge. Save yourself lol.

Depending on family size, maybe buy a used fridge for the garage. I know a lot of people do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WanderingJuniper 05-06-2018 05:26 PM

We did many years ago. It is only inconvenient the first two days after I grocery shop. Then it’s fine. We do have a smaller beverage fridge so that opens up a good bit of space. More inconvenient is the small freezer.

ViolaMum 05-06-2018 06:24 PM

We had to downsize two years ago. We had two refrigerators in a row that died and it looked like there wasn't quite enough clearance for the air to circulate properly around the unit. Our new fridge is smaller and seems to be doing better.

We're a family of 6 and shop once a week. With the new fridge we have to make a smaller run for milk in the middle of the week that we didn't before, but for the most part it's worked out. We do have a large deep freezer in the garage.

Soliloquy 05-06-2018 08:01 PM

I haven't done it but, if I had to, I would buy a unit that had the smallest possible freezer and the largest possible refrigerator compartment and get a chest freezer for the garage.

Sometimes a new freezer/fridge pays for itself in saved energy costs compared to a used one, so consider that before buying used.

We have two fridges and two chest freezers. The chest freezers are in the garage and I use them all the time. I could easily live with nothing but ice in my kitchen freezer.

The extra fridge is in an upstairs kitchen (MIL suite) and I learned not to put anything in that fridge. It's out of sight, out of mind and things tend to go bad. If I buy watermelons and put them up there, I absolutely have to leave myself a note otherwise I find them a month later.

milkmommy 05-06-2018 09:12 PM

No but I will say, how is the freezer, we have a side by side freezer fridge. I grew up with this so didn't really think twice in getting one.However we REALLY should have thought the size out better. The freezer side is soo annoyingly narrow NOTHING fits. Things get stacked in the most annoying way and everything falls out all the time. We had a smaller apartment sized fridge with the freezer on top in our apartment and had better space than what we have now.
I cant justify the cost of another unit right now but when it goes were going for something with better freezer space.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6140370)
I haven't done it but, if I had to, I would buy a unit that had the smallest possible freezer and the largest possible refrigerator compartment and get a chest freezer for the garage.

Sometimes a new freezer/fridge pays for itself in saved energy costs compared to a used one, so consider that before buying used.

We have two fridges and two chest freezers. The chest freezers are in the garage and I use them all the time. I could easily live with nothing but ice in my kitchen freezer.

The extra fridge is in an upstairs kitchen (MIL suite) and I learned not to put anything in that fridge. It's out of sight, out of mind and things tend to go bad. If I buy watermelons and put them up there, I absolutely have to leave myself a note otherwise I find them a month later.

Ive thought about getting an extra freezer for the garage I just worry about the energy it will need to pull being in the garage during our summers Which are really May-October..

mamacat 05-07-2018 05:23 AM

I 2nd the idea of a fridge/freezer for the garage!

ViolaMum 05-07-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 6140402)
I 2nd the idea of a fridge/freezer for the garage!

I couldn't survive without it. It makes a huge difference. Our current fridge is a freezer on the bottom model - it's a essentially a drawer that pulls out with a shelf on top of that. We try to just keep the things we are using for that week in the kitchen freezer so that it doesn't get overloaded.