Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Am I the only one totally curriculum shopping yet? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446035)

gpsings 04-13-2012 10:45 AM

Am I the only one totally curriculum shopping yet?

I'm looking into changing up a few things this year, and Aneliese says she's distraught that since PS held her back in kindergarten we never caught her up....so I've been looking.....
We've been doing a lot of CLE which is pretty good and I placement tested her in Teaching Textbooks....and would you believe, she can skip 6th grade?!?!
So....7th grade it is. (Is that a bad idea?)
Other than that, I think I just want a good science (I'm thinking of Apologia) and I really really want to add typing. :)
Maybe get her a laptop with a disabled wifi. :giggle

Anyone else shopping?

Soaring Eagle 04-13-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Am I the only one totally curriculum shopping yet?

I'm all done shopping for next year. Have everything except I'm waiting on our math order to be shipped.

Katydid 04-13-2012 12:40 PM

I'm shopping for next year already. :yes

heartofjoy 04-13-2012 12:44 PM

:yes

I've been shopping. :heart I ordered Sonlight Core F for my oldest to do next year for 8th. I'd love to get her a laptop this summer, but not sure the funds will be there. I'm thinking of enrolling her in an English class this summer and next fall with out local one day academy. The class is one hour a week, and then they are given work to do at home. I feel like my homeschool is very lacking in language arts, so maybe this will be the answer.

I'm trying to figure out language arts for my younger kids. I have some Sonlight stuff coming that I am going to try over the summer. If that doesn't work out, I think I'm going to do something more traditional. :think I've had a hard time finding things that I enjoy teaching and my kids enjoy doing.

I still have to buy math for everyone. dd is starting pre-algebra next year. This will be our first year with math that I might have to actually read the textbook to know what's going on! :P~

Amy 04-13-2012 12:50 PM

I'm almost done for next year. For ds1 (2nd grade) we're doing real science 4 kids, Story of the World, Abeka for math and language arts, some hodge podge for art and I'll probably start cursive. I still need to go through my K stuff for dd since I plan on hsing her next year also.

Mert 04-13-2012 01:00 PM

I'm almost done, too. :grin I'll do a big book order in August to round out readers and such for history and science, but I'm pretty sure we're good for curriculum for next year.

gpsings 04-13-2012 04:39 PM

So....tell me what you've decided on and why. :popcorn

Here's my list so far:
Aneliese: (7th grade)
History: BJU World Studies
Science: Exploring Physical Science (Apologia)
Math: Teaching Textbooks Math 7
Grammar: Easy Grammar 7
Literature and Writing: Outsourced to a co-op class
Typing: ?
+ guitar and soccer and maybe if I can afford a good Spanish curriculum, but I wouldn't know how to find that.

Breena: (4th grade)
History: BJU Heritage Studies

Science: ? Maybe Apologia...
Math: CLE
English: CLE
Writing: Writing with Ease
Handwriting: random copywork
+ guitar and a sport, though she wants to continue gymnastics and dh doesn't want her to....to be continued.

Caden: (K-1st)

He's hard to figure since he's not yet reading but what we've been using seems to be moving to slow for him. He learns quickly, but is not happy about doing a lot of bookwork.
I'm thinking Spectrum? Suggestions are wonderful.
I hate planning, hate curriculums that has a bunch of extra stuff to buy, and really want to have something that will keep his interest. Does that exist?
He knows all his letters and sounds, can count to a hundred and by 5's and 10's, knows his money and some clocks, patterns etc. and can add.
Hmmmm.:think

I'd love to hear everyone's choices!

Lady Grey 04-13-2012 04:49 PM

I have almost everything picked out, but only some of it ordered.

charla 04-13-2012 04:53 PM

I've gotten my list completed of the curriculum we need for next year. I'm going to buy it at the homeschool convention the first weekend in May.

Marzipan 04-13-2012 04:54 PM

Me me me! I decided to switch to Sonlight for dd1 next fall because, though I love the things I have cobbled together they are reuiring from me than I have been able to keep up with...and I'm fixing to have a baby. She's starting with Core B+C with 4/5 readers, TT4 for math, and BFSU for science. I believe I will start cursive with her too.

For ds and dd2, I am going to use Wee Folk Art's curriculum. I already have all the books ( www.betterworldbooks.com , y'all!) and will add ETC Phonics and Life of Fred Math for ds. I hope to start Sonlight K with them in the fall of 13.

Aerynne 04-13-2012 05:19 PM

If my baby is a sticky one (Please, God, Please!!! :pray4), we might homeschool through the summer and take a several-month-long winter vacation.

That being said, I still don't know what we're doing. Probably Singapore Math 3b since she's in 3A right now.

I better get a move on with this planning!

gpsings 04-13-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzipan (Post 4573312)
Me me me! I decided to switch to Sonlight for dd1 next fall because, though I love the things I have cobbled together they are reuiring from me than I have been able to keep up with...and I'm fixing to have a baby. She's starting with Core B+C with 4/5 readers, TT4 for math, and BFSU for science. I believe I will start cursive with her too.

For ds and dd2, I am going to use Wee Folk Art's curriculum. I already have all the books ( www.betterworldbooks.com , y'all!) and will add ETC Phonics and Life of Fred Math for ds. I hope to start Sonlight K with them in the fall of 13.

Thank you so much for that link! I LOVE deals!
Also, I completely forgot about Life of Fred, too! Thanks! Caden will love that!:heart

Soaring Eagle 04-13-2012 05:56 PM

This is our lineup for next year.

Grade 1:
MFW grade 1 for Bible- I decided to not use all of the program...
All About Reading
Abeka math, history, science, health
Artistic Pursuits
study of our state

Grade 3:
Who Is God and Can I Really Know Him?

Abeka math, science, health
BJU Heritage Studies & reading (just readers w/TM for comprehension questions)
All About Spelling - Level 2
Artistic Pursuits
study of our state

Love_Is_Patient 04-13-2012 08:34 PM

Grade 2:
Math: Evan-Moor Workbook + Life of Fred + Sir Cumference (Math adventure series)
History: SOTW book 2 + Viking book (from AO yr 1) + biographies (hoping to use some by Diane Stanley, we'll see how ds likes them)
Literature: Selections from AO booklist (Yr 2)
Science: Burgess Animal Book + Mind Blowing Science (chemistry kit) + scientist biographies (Pasteur and Audubon)
Bible: Continue reading from ds' Bible
Phonics/Spelling: Spectrum workbook
Handwriting: need to figure this one out! Probably will just do copywork but need to decide to pursue cursive or print
Reading: Practice with graded readers

I have most of this already, though I may need to buy more LOF books mid-year if we finish the ones we have. I actually bought most of my curriculum for next year back in December with money from Christmas! I have a few random things for K for dd, although she will be a young K so I'm not planning much. I do have Phonics Pathways and Bob books that ds used, so will pull those out if she shows interest in reading. Also have a K math workbook that she likes to do when ds is doing math (and she listens to LOF and other math storybooks too).

Barefoot Bookworm 04-13-2012 08:56 PM

I haven't bought anything but I know for sure we're doing Five In A Row again (I need to buy the books), Handwriting Without Tears Kindergarten level, Math-U-See, anddd some reading program that I dunno. I hate Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, it's boring for us all. Not sure if I want MFW for a core curriculum or what.