Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Moving meal (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=521074)

rjy9343 11-03-2016 03:45 PM

Moving meal

My brother and his family are moving into their own place. My mother asked me to come up with something to feed everyone helping them move. I would be feeding at least three grown men, two women and possibly a teenage girl. It has to be gluten, soy and seafood free.
Also, I have my high need nephew, my daughter's best friend along with my own children that day, so I can't do a lot of prep. I will be doing a Girl Scout meeting the night before and getting moving boxes for them the day before, so I need something fairly easy and very portable for me to take across town.
I am drawing a complete blank. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2sunshines 11-03-2016 04:05 PM

Re: Moving meal

Pizza is the first thing that comes to mind. Obviously gluten, but is there a gluten free option that you can order?

Tacos? You could do the meat in a crock pot and just bring shells and other toppings for people to assemble their own. Side of nachos and salsa and you've got a full rounded meal.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Baked potato bar? You can do baked potatoes really easily in a crock pot (or easily in an oven too if that's easier). Bring some cheese, sour cream, chives, and anything else depending on how fancy you want to get.

Fresh veggies and dip on the side. Maybe some cut up fresh fruit. Nice well rounded and filling meal.

rjy9343 11-03-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6049673)
Pizza is the first thing that comes to mind. Obviously gluten, but is there a gluten free option that you can order?

Tacos? You could do the meat in a crock pot and just bring shells and other toppings for people to assemble their own. Side of nachos and salsa and you've got a full rounded meal.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Baked potato bar? You can do baked potatoes really easily in a crock pot (or easily in an oven too if that's easier). Bring some cheese, sour cream, chives, and anything else depending on how fancy you want to get.

Fresh veggies and dip on the side. Maybe some cut up fresh fruit. Nice well rounded and filling meal.

I need something a little lighter than the last two. The pizza idea would work since I need something that can be eaten with a paper towel on the go and then the paper towel is trashed. Sit down type meals are not going to work very well.

2sunshines 11-03-2016 04:27 PM

What about those taco salad in a bag things? I've never had them, but my kids talk about them. You take a little bag of corn chips or nacho chips, crush them, add a spoonful of meat and whatever other toppings you like then eat out of the bag with a fork.

If you don't want to do the small bags of chips, you can do a big bag and have everyone assemble their salad in a sandwich size ziploc.

No plates. Use plastic forks and those can just be put in the trash.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

How filling does it have to be? Can it just be a tie over? As in, could you just do some trays of finger food? Veggies? Cut up fruit? Cheese and meat slices? Bag of chips? Etc?

rjy9343 11-03-2016 04:28 PM

It needs to be pretty filling and the tacos in a bag could work well. They are really good and fairly easy.

Maedchen 11-03-2016 11:41 PM

Are the chips or corn tortillas soy free?

Indigo 11-04-2016 03:04 AM

When we moved a friend made us a big pot of sloppy joes, rolls and fresh veggies on the side, bottles of water, and cookies. That was great because as our friends who were helping us needed a break, they would come in grab a quick bite, then head out again. I realize this may not be the perfect meal for you, needing rolls - but I think something simple and hearty along these lines would work well.

Maedchen 11-04-2016 04:17 AM

Suggestions:

1. Oven fried or baked chicken pieces

2. Spaghetti (you could use disposable plates or bowls) Using rice or corn noodles

3. Shepard's pie with mashed potatoes on top.

4. Chuck wagon (beans, hamburger with a Carolina bar b que sauce and served over rice)

You could have a salad, or just chip on the side. Most things that are super easy would be requiring bread and that can be difficult with needing it to be soy and gluten free.

You could do a barbque roast or chicken and pull it and serve over rice or with potato salad on the side and those can be cooked ahead of time as you can fit it into your schedule.

rjy9343 11-04-2016 06:41 AM

The sloppy joes would be great. I have safe bread that would work for the ones that can't have soy or gluten. Chips and cookies are also very doable for this since again, I have safe ones for the ones that need them. I am also feeding people that are very leery of anything that could possibly be good for you, so that will work really well. I should have thought of that.

bec28 11-04-2016 08:16 AM

You could also do pulled pork in a crockpot for sandwiches :)

ValiantJoy07 11-04-2016 08:29 AM

We always did chilli and corn bread for things like this. Disposable bowls and utensils, sat in the croc pot all day, corn bread baked ahead. :think

Other option would be gf baked ziti. Again disposable utensils and bowls, gf pasta.

Also sloppy Joe's, croc pot sloppy Joe's.

mamacat 11-04-2016 09:10 AM

Yes the gluten free pizzas are usually expensive and small so smthng lie crockpot sloppy joes with choieof bread or rolls woul be really good

knitlove 11-04-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjy9343 (Post 6049767)
The sloppy joes would be great. I have safe bread that would work for the ones that can't have soy or gluten. Chips and cookies are also very doable for this since again, I have safe ones for the ones that need them. I am also feeding people that are very leery of anything that could possibly be good for you, so that will work really well. I should have thought of that.

If you use bar b q sauce in you sloppy joes check it for soy and gluten. There are some comersal ones that are soy and gluten free. But just to keep in mind.

I just did sloppy joes for 15 on Monday and it worked great.