Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Canning / Preserving *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=549)
-   -   Summer Canning 2014 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=504729)

kklibrarian 05-26-2014 11:31 AM

Re: Summer Canning 2014

Today is Salsa Verde. I'll come back and post how many jars I get done. :)

I didn't have many tomatillos, so only got 3 half-pint jars. However, it is delicious! :yum

RiverRock 05-26-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peaceful Meadows (Post 5769183)
Rhubarb pie
Rhubarb tapioca
Rhubarb cake
Rhubarb crisp
Rhubarb cobbler

ETA:
Here are a lot of rhubarb recipes.

I couldn't see a recipe for rhubarb tapioca in that link. Can you share your recipe?

ArmsOfLove 05-26-2014 11:40 PM

So jealous! Now that the oldest boy is 16 he eats things almost as fast as we can prep them - we hardly ever have leftovers anymore and even when we get a case of tomatoes we eat tomato soup for a week and it's gone :lol

I miss canning and having plenty all the time. Living vicariously!

Blue Savannah 05-27-2014 07:17 AM

We love roasted rhubarb clafoutis, too. ETA: I freeze lots of rhubarb and eggs so we can eat it all winter.

I did 8 pints of rhubarb syrup last night; 32 c chopped rhubarb, about 4 c sugar, cooked it down and canned it. We'll mostly use it to flavor yogurt.

Soliloquy 05-27-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiyank (Post 5769170)
What do you do with it?

My kid beg me to make rhubarb crisp. It takes about 8 cups of chopped rhubarb. I love rhubarb pie, rhubarb cake, pretty much anything rhubarb. I think I'll plant a whole patch of it. :lol

kklibrarian 05-27-2014 11:26 AM

We had watermelon for Memorial Day. I have the rinds, although not many. Trying to decide if I want a couple of jars of preserves or a couple of jars of pickles. :think

canadiyank 05-27-2014 01:00 PM

Hubby made a rhubarb crisp from ours.

I've never had watermelon rinds.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

MrsDuck 05-27-2014 01:41 PM

I've been thinking about what I hope to can this year. I planted tomatoes, and hope to get enough all at once to can. I might order cucumbers to make pickles from our CSA. And peaches & apricots from my friends orchard. Maybe something with berries, but we are pretty well stocked in jam still.

The other thing I really want to try is beans, both black and kidney since that's one of the few things we use canned a lot. Would love to do that at home instead of buying bpa lined cans. But it never has to be done "right now" since I will just buy dried beans and go from there. So it never gets done. Sigh.

Punkie 05-27-2014 01:46 PM

I am counting down the seconds until I can make some more HUGE batches of the Strawberry Maple Vanilla jam from Taproot magazine. I made it last year, and it was amazing. We are on our last jar now.

kklibrarian 05-27-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiyank (Post 5770899)

I've never had watermelon rinds.

It's kind of a Southern thing, but I did learn today while searching the Internet for something new to do with them that apparently they are also a delicacy in Serbia, Croatia, and Macedonia. Who knew?

I am considering trying to convert them into something that I can use as a pie filling later rather than doing a straight-up preserve or pickle. Something like a mincemeat filling perhaps.

Blessings,
Kelly

shaslove 05-28-2014 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkie (Post 5770946)
I am counting down the seconds until I can make some more HUGE batches of the Strawberry Maple Vanilla jam from Taproot magazine. I made it last year, and it was amazing. We are on our last jar now.

I want strawberry jam :pout

I'm totally going to miss the strawberry season here-June.

RiverRock 05-28-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Savannah (Post 5770620)
We love roasted rhubarb clafoutis, too. ETA: I freeze lots of rhubarb and eggs so we can eat it all winter.

This recipe too, please. :)

kklibrarian 06-03-2014 05:12 PM

Okay, so Salsa Verde was so good I made more. :yum

I also made more pepper jelly as my peppers have taken off.

I'm still searching for strawberries I don't feel gross about paying what they are asking for.

I did get some raspberries on sale this week and am going to try raspberry lemonade concentrate. My kids love flavored drinks and I feel so rotten about the stuff that comes in the little powder mixes that I thought I'd try to make my own.

Also, I made a berry cobbler for breakfast this morning with my berry preserves and my kids all went back for seconds.

I am hoping to have peas ready to can in a few weeks.

Blue Savannah 06-03-2014 09:55 PM

This is the clafoutis recipe I use. It takes a bit longer to cook if you make it with frozen rhubarb (more juices after roasting). Either way, it's amazing. I double it for my family. I double everything for my family. ;)

http://savour-fare.com/2011/06/02/roasted-rhubarb-clafoutis/

kklibrarian 06-06-2014 12:30 PM

A bushel and a half of nectarines at the u pick place means I've got to come up with enough canned goods to make this a good investment rather than a waste of money. I'm planning on nectarine butter, a savory jam with peppers, a chutney, and just putting some in syrup for cobblers and tarts later. I'll post back with recipes of what I ended up doing with them.