Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Choosing Curriculum a for Next Year (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522350)

ServingGrace 03-16-2017 03:53 AM

Choosing Curriculum a for Next Year

I will probably stick with Sonlight because it is working for us for now. However I want to see if anyone could recommend something else just because.
My approach is very Charlotte Mason, lots of literature, short morning lessons, note booking, narration so etc then afternoon hand work, music, art basically whatever the kids want. My seven year old is very hands on and loves to do projects, building, creating something with a purpose p etc. My eight year old is hands on in a different way and loves to do detailed paintings, pastel drawings more arts than engineering. They are both kinestetic and tactile learners, with my eight year old also being oral (is that even a learning style?) If I let her skip a narration it is as if she did not listen at all.
So far I am looking into Winter Promise, Heart of Dakota and possibly Timberdoodle. Winter Promise looks the most promising, it has the books I like and some crafts for the kids etc. Heart of Dakota at first glance seems almost too literary, are there crafts and music I am overlooking? Timberdoodle looks fun but seems to be lacking in the literature department.
Our biggest issue is that my eight year old reads at a kindergarten level so a lot of readers become read alouds. I want something where she can work on language arts comprehension, grammar, narration etc at her grade but also do extra phonics with all about reading.
The biggest issue with my seven year old is that he does math too fast and I don't see how he is getting all of it. It would be nice to find an acceleraited math program where he could go at his own pace. He finished up first grade math earlier this week, we are using Saxon right now. I want a teachers guide with more real life application and hands on stuff to slow him down.

mamacat 03-16-2017 06:33 AM

Re: Choosing Curriculum a for Next Year

www.allinonehomeschool.com is very literature based and it is all free. You can use parts of it and also use different levels so it works for kids who are on different levels with different subjects very well

tempus vernum 03-20-2017 07:49 AM

Re: Choosing Curriculum a for Next Year

I've heard grade things about ALEKs math - self paced. I've not used it myself but considered it. It's all online though.