Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   My teeth are remineralizing. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=325733)

Rabbit 09-30-2009 09:42 AM

My teeth are remineralizing.

I've been working on it for a few years. Six or seven years ago, before I ever got pregnant, I had starter cavities between my teeth. I switched to Weleda's Calendula toothpaste. Has calcium in it, and no fluoride. The starter cavities went away, and so did my tooth sensitivity. I stopped getting cleanings because they seemed to make everything worse.

My top two front teeth were still nearly see through and cracking. I started taking cal-mag. One tooth is nearly completely white now, and the other is getting there. The cracks are still there, but not as visible now that my teeth aren't translucent.

I've been sprinkling xylitol over my toothpaste.

I don't drink any sodas at all. I do drink honey sweetened teas.

I have no tooth pain. No cavities. And I've been through three pregnancies.

ReedleBeetle 09-30-2009 09:45 AM

Re: My teeth are remineralizing.

Someone else told me about using Xylitol....I need to look into that!

JessicaTX 09-30-2009 09:52 AM

I was all kinds of thrilled to find xylitol...till I realized it was made from corn, and I have a corn allergic child. *sigh*

Rabbit 09-30-2009 09:57 AM

I only added xylitol in the last year. It was not the key ingredient here. And I do use one specifically made from birch.

cobluegirl 09-30-2009 09:59 AM

way cool. :rockon

JessicaTX 09-30-2009 10:04 AM

I didn't even know there was a such thing as xylitol made from birch! I'm gonna have to go shopping!
so weleda calendula toothepaste, cal/mag supplements, and no sodas..and the xylitol if I can find it. I think I can do that. I have a cavity forming right between my front teeth, it's so embarassing!

Rabbit 09-30-2009 10:59 AM

I haven't fixed anything that needed filling.

deena 09-30-2009 11:01 AM

:rockon How inspiring!

TuneMyHeart 09-30-2009 11:06 AM

My DH is addicted to soda and has cavities all the time. Somebody other than me please tell him to stop doing this to himself. :doh

I wonder if I could get him to take cal/mag. :think Yeah, right.

HomeWithMyBabies 09-30-2009 11:10 AM

That's so cool. :rockon

Firebird Rising 09-30-2009 11:54 AM

THANK YOU so much for posting this. I REALLY don't want to go to the dentist and am hoping I could start this to maybe reverse some of the small cavities I know are there.

Jen D.

saturnfire16 09-30-2009 01:02 PM

subbing to remind myself to look into weleda calendula toothepaste. Does it have glycerin?

sprout 09-30-2009 01:07 PM

the xylitol that we use comes from birch trees.

Learnin'2B 09-30-2009 03:49 PM

Great! and Thank you! I have sensitive teeth and I'd love to try this to improve it.

TuneMyHeart 09-30-2009 03:55 PM

I just realized - I used to have really sensitive teeth. The dentist is really painful. But I haven't had that problem in a while and my last appointment (about a month ago) wasn't painful at all. Maybe it's the cal/mag I've been taking.

tempus vernum 09-30-2009 03:56 PM

This is great info :tu I actually cured my gum disease garggling with food grade hydrogen peroxide. I think we will switch to weleda's calendula toothpaste - we currently use weleda children's toothpaste :) . . . and I am going to get cal/mag back in on our supplement list :tu

I have been wanting to give up cleanings but I have a small cavity I am keeping an eye on. . . . now, I can give them up with good conscience :grin

Garland 09-30-2009 03:59 PM

:popcorn

mom2_AthruZ 09-30-2009 04:06 PM

subbing to remember the toothpaste.:)

tempus vernum 09-30-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readingmama (Post 2593655)
subbing to remember the toothpaste.:)

I already put it on my order for frontier for next time :giggle

Can Dance 09-30-2009 04:20 PM

wow! that is amazing. I had no idea. I am going to have to give this a go. I have 3 sorta cavities that I need to work on.

swimming with sharks 09-30-2009 04:22 PM

I'm so thrilled for you!! DS has cavities and we're using xylitol toothpaste (squiggle), we also give him xylitol mints throughout the day to keep the bacteria from being able to produce the acid that causes the decay. We also use something specifically remineralization called MI paste. I'm seeing a definite slowing in the process.

mom2_AthruZ 09-30-2009 04:23 PM

Natalie what brand of xylitol are you using?

cro 09-30-2009 07:46 PM

That's so neat! :thumbsup

sprout 09-30-2009 07:48 PM

I really like Dr. Ellie (you can google Dr. Ellie's blog) and find her.

I use her protocol and have had success with both my teeth and my children's teeth.

I'm so glad your teeth are healing rabbit! It feels good doesn't it!

MtnMama 09-30-2009 07:54 PM

Ever since you mentioned the Weleda toothpaste a long time ago, I've been using it. It really works well! My dh's teeth are improving, also. We haven't done the xylitol, though.

And also swishing with hydrogen peroxide has totally helped my chronically-inflamed gums. :tu

Lantern Light Mama 09-30-2009 08:06 PM

My teeth have demineralized too. Where do I buy all of that stuff?

newday 09-30-2009 08:09 PM

thanks natalie!!!! :hug

sprout 09-30-2009 08:11 PM

I get most of mine from Walmart....listerine and fluoride and I buy my xylitol (made from the burch tree) from Dr. Ellie's site. This is also where you can get the xylitol mints and gum too.

I have bought MI paste from dentist.net

Quiteria 09-30-2009 09:04 PM

are you avoiding flouride in your water to accomplish this?

HindsFeet 09-30-2009 09:20 PM

Interesting. We've used xylitol some in the past, though I admit I've never been very aggressive with it. And I've never tried Weleda's toothpaste. I'm good about taking cal/mag when I'm pg, but otherwise... not so much. :blush I've definitely got some tooth sensitivity and gum recession issues though, so I may have to give some of this a try.

mamacat 10-01-2009 10:37 AM

I found Spry chewing gum at a local health food store but do they also make pure xylitol liquid? So far I have just seen mouthwash that contains it....

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

So when you say you sprinkle xylitol - is it the granular form? For some reason I was thinking a liquid..........

Elora 10-01-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireshifter (Post 2593015)
THANK YOU so much for posting this. I REALLY don't want to go to the dentist and am hoping I could start this to maybe reverse some of the small cavities I know are there.

Jen D.

ME TOO!

thank you thank you thank you for this post! i need it.

could i do this for ds (he's almost 3)? or aspects of it?

Rabbit 10-01-2009 11:02 AM

Granular, yes. But seriously, that's only been in the last year.

I haven't had a cavity since switching to Weleda several years ago. Obvious improvement in my front teeth after adding cal-mag. I have no clue if xylitol has done a thing.

I use tap water, and it does have fluoride.

I use Listerine every couple of months if my teeth feel extra funky.

I floss.

I'm mulling adding hydrogen peroxide because blood pressure meds have made my gums feel sore.

sprout 10-01-2009 11:03 AM

I use the granular form.

I find it really exciting that many of us use different forms to heal teeth and both methods seem to be working well.

this is very encouraging.

mommylove 10-01-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyInTheSpirit (Post 2594271)
My teeth have demineralized too. Where do I buy all of that stuff?

Your local HFS store should carry it all. Amazon . com sells Weleda toothpaste.

FYI, a quick google search found this brand of granular xylitol made in the USA from birch trees, also found on Amazon. http://shop.emeraldforestxylitol. ccom/shop-now/emeraldforestxylitol-edulcorant-1lb-bolsa.htm

sprout 10-01-2009 11:22 AM

from what I have read, the xylitol from the birch tree is supposed to be the superior form...this is the type the children and I use.

monkeylicious 10-01-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuneMyHeart (Post 2592898)
I wonder if I could get him to take cal/mag. :think Yeah, right.

i just hand pills to my dh when he has a drink. he doesn't ask what they are or are for... though he wanted to be taking a daily and just wasn't remembering. he also has had more colds in the last year or so with his flying job than ever before, so he wanted to not get colds... all this just to say, try just telling him it's a multi-vit (or something like that - or even better include one!) and see if he'll take it. :shrug3

Rabbit 10-01-2009 11:56 AM

Josh can't swallow the horse pills. He has a very narrow throat, and sleep apnea because of it. He has trouble with advil.

newday 10-01-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 2595488)
Granular, yes. But seriously, that's only been in the last year.

I haven't had a cavity since switching to Weleda several years ago. Obvious improvement in my front teeth after adding cal-mag. I have no clue if xylitol has done a thing.

I use tap water, and it does have fluoride.

I use Listerine every couple of months if my teeth feel extra funky.

I floss.

I'm mulling adding hydrogen peroxide because blood pressure meds have made my gums feel sore.

i have read that cyanne pepper will fix gum issues, and i believe it since it stimulates circulation and healing so well naturally with other things. the trick is to start out small and increase the sprinkle on your toothbrush slowly. i am going to start this (as soon as i remember :)

HomeWithMyBabies 10-01-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtnMama (Post 2594243)
Ever since you mentioned the Weleda toothpaste a long time ago, I've been using it.

Yup, Rabbit when you said once that there was a children's gel I was very excited and went looking for it. I found it at my grocery! It's all I use for Peanut and I've been very very happy with it. :yes

I also give the boys cal/mag as a powder that dissolves in water, so I don't have to worry about them swallowing pills.

I use tooth soap to brush my teeth and my dentist is thrilled with the results. My sensitivity and occasional bad breath is gone now too.