Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   March Dinners (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522204)

charla 03-01-2017 08:37 AM

March Dinners

Please share your menus, recipes, pics of your main meal of the day!

I was going to make Tomato and Sausage Risotto tonight, but I forgot to buy the fresh spinach that is one of the main components of that dish. :doh Hopefully I can get some sometime today.

Laurlor 03-01-2017 08:51 AM

Re: March Dinners

We're going to the Ash Wednesday soup/supper at church tonight, so I'm bringing Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6070609)
I was going to make Tomato and Sausage Risotto tonight, but I forgot to buy the fresh spinach that is one of the main components of that dish. :doh Hopefully I can get some sometime today.

That sounds yummy! Could you share the recipe please?

schmamy 03-01-2017 08:52 AM

whoops! I posted in the Feb thread.

Smitten Kitchen's cranberry pecan chicken salad in lettuce wraps tonight. Man I wish I had some right now...sounds SO good. Then we need to just eat leftovers the next two nights. Full fridge and I plan on doing some freezer cooking with my SIL this weekend.

Singingmom 03-01-2017 09:12 AM

:cup

charla 03-01-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurlor (Post 6070611)
That sounds yummy! Could you share the recipe please?

Tomato and Sausage Risotto - per usual, I can't leave a recipe alone. :shifty My changes: I use 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice to feed my entire family and I add a whole quart of chicken broth with the tomatoes. I also don't use wine so I add just a touch of white wine vinegar as the first add in to the rice and let it absorb before adding the tomato broth. I also make my own turkey sausage using ground turkey and Italian sausage spices from La Leche League's Whole Foods Cookbook (onion, salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, fennel seed, crumbled bay leaves, garlic). I spice the ground turkey directly in the skillet while I am browning it for this recipe.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmamy (Post 6070615)

Smitten Kitchen's cranberry pecan chicken salad in lettuce wraps tonight.

Would you mind sharing the recipe? I can't seem to find it in a search.

schmamy 03-01-2017 12:38 PM

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/...chicken-salad/

I don't care for walnuts much so I always use pecans--forgot that's not what she calls it :) I skip the herbs and use less vinegar--maybe only a tablespoon or so? And I typically don't have white wine vinegar on hand but ACV works great. At least two friends who say they do not like chicken salad have said they like this. It's lightly dressed, not super goopy like chicken salad often is. And I so prefer it in lettuce wraps than on a sandwich now. The light, fresh crunch of the lettuce is just more satisfying (not to mention better for you).

Oh and I skip the black pepper because I hate black pepper and always skip it :giggle

2sunshines 03-01-2017 12:44 PM

I am making beef stroganoff tonight

knitlove 03-01-2017 02:18 PM

Oh it is March. We are either having bean soup with corn bread or polenta and haddock with roasted broccoli.

LilacPhoenix 03-02-2017 01:28 PM

I think bunless burgers and veggies for tonight. Probably broccoli/cauliflower...

charla 03-02-2017 01:42 PM

Millet crusted tilapia, roasted potatoes, roasted parmesan tomatoes, mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette.

2sunshines 03-02-2017 02:03 PM

Spaghetti (or zucchini noodles) and meatballs tonight. With spinach salad and fresh fruit on the side.

schmamy 03-02-2017 03:11 PM

leftovers at our house. fridge is full and needs to be cleared out. plus that works well so I can go to the evening swim class since I missed the morning class today.

Beth1231 03-02-2017 03:18 PM

I cooked a whole chicken last night and it was the BEST one I ever made! :yum
The difference was cooking it on high heat for an hour instead of medium heat for four hours.
I put it in a roasting pan (after putting butter and plenty of garlic salt inside it).
Basted with olive oil,seasoned it generously and poured some vegetable broth around it because I wasn't sure how the red potatoes would fare with no liquid on such high heat. Circled the chicken in veggies and covered it.
500 for 15 min
450 for 15 min
Baste with juices
425 for 30 min
It was soooooo good that I had some for breakfast!

charla 03-02-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth1231 (Post 6070916)
I cooked a whole chicken last night and it was the BEST one I ever made! :yum
The difference was cooking it on high heat for an hour instead of medium heat for four hours.
I put it in a roasting pan (after putting butter and plenty of garlic salt inside it).
Basted with olive oil,seasoned it generously and poured some vegetable broth around it because I wasn't sure how the red potatoes would fare with no liquid on such high heat. Circled the chicken in veggies and covered it.
500 for 15 min
450 for 15 min
Baste with juices
425 for 30 min
It was soooooo good that I had some for breakfast!

Did you use any other veggies besides the red potatoes? This sounds delicious.

2sunshines 03-02-2017 04:26 PM

Yes! I have found the key to moist chicken in the oven is higher heat for a shorter period of time. Particularly breasts.