Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   GD Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=526)
-   -   Basic Assumptions of GD (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415764)

rebecuna 07-10-2011 07:09 PM

Re: Basic Assumptions of GD

:popcorn
This thread is just what I needed to read right now. :gcm
Most of it's going in an email to DH.

shaslove 07-10-2011 07:38 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Amahoro 07-10-2011 07:48 PM

Thank you so much for starting this thread Red - it's perfect timing for me.

:gcm

Joanne 07-10-2011 09:12 PM

And old blog post of mine addresses some of the content of the OP.

Let's Not Talk About Spanking.

From the link:

Quote:

EPP (Effective Practical Parenting) is not about spanking or not spanking. The presence or absence of spanking as a discipline tool offers little in terms of being able to evaluate the quality of discipline in a home. The fact that a family spanks does not mean they have effective discipline. The absence of spanking in a home does not suggest the absence of discipline.
Quote:

Spanking is not the issue. Not spanking is not the issue.
The issue is that children require a lot of time, attention, direction and guidance. They require this *regardless* of discipline choices. The further truth is that even if you include spanking (or other forms of punishment), you will need to include the tools of EPP in order to be an effective, good parent.
Quote:

I’ll say it again. The focus on *spanking* or *not spanking* misses the mark and obscures the real issue. EPP isn’t about “not spanking”. It’s parenting in a manner that teaches, encourages, guides, corrects and assists children into maturity while helping them meet the family standard for behavior.
Quote:

The purpose of this site and my book is to outline exactly how to execute and cultivate a home where Effective Practical Parenting is in place. Parents who use this style realize that discipline isn’t merely a list of tools used; rather, it’s a relationship, a lifestyle and a way of thinking about the nature of children and life with children.
Quote:

Tools vary, often according to the personality of the child. Effective Practical Parenting is characterized by using proactive tools to create a positive family atmosphere and it utilizes kind and firm ways to enforce rules. EPP understands age appropriate behaviors and doesn’t punish for them. Instead, a parent using EPP will stop the inappropriate behavior and teach an appropriate behavior in its place. An EPP family will work actively with their children to develop self control, while enforcing reasonable boundaries of behavior.
Quote:

Effective Practical Parenting works. Because it is kind, respectful and firm, children are shown respect and are taught tools for managing their behavior. A parent partners with the child to teach them life skills and to help develop the habits of self control.

ilovewest 07-10-2011 10:28 PM

You mamas have no idea how much I needed to read these right now. Thank you, Jesus :heart

Learnin'2B 07-10-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecuna (Post 4025295)
This thread is just what I needed to read right now. :gcm
Most of it's going in an email to DH.

:giggle I am copying and pasting to print it so I can have it on our whiteboard. I was thinking maybe one quote per week and rotate them. Brainwash him real good. :giggle

love2bmom 07-11-2011 03:48 AM

This thread has been extremely helpful!!! It's good to have these "conversation pieces" to discuss GBD. Thanks, all!

emthewife 07-11-2011 11:51 AM

I appreciate your articulations of GD
For us - wooing our child toward holiness.

RedPetals 07-11-2011 02:13 PM

:cup

redandhoney 07-11-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emthewife (Post 4026792)
I appreciate your articulations of GD
For us - wooing our child toward holiness.

I love this so much :heart

marigold 07-11-2011 08:12 PM

:cup so good, by the grace of God I hope someday this will sink from my eyes to my brain to my heart.

raisa 07-12-2011 12:48 PM

One-word ideas:

Help
Teach
Lead
Hold
Love

blondie 07-12-2011 02:31 PM

This is an awesome thread! I am new to the forum, and new to spending a lot of time thinking about parenting. As my daughter turned two and we started getting lots of "advice" from people, it pushed my husband and I to dig into our hearts to find how we wanted to raise our child(ren).

He is much better than I am at putting words together, but our goal is to teach her who she should be instead of who she shouldn't be. Instead of punishing her for doing the wrong thing, we want to live by example to teach her to do the right thing. We want to gently guide her and let her little soul learn to be guided by the Holy Spirit, instead of OUR hands doing the guiding. <3 I'm so happy to be a part of this forum.

mollobe 08-28-2011 10:11 PM

:ty

Barefoot 08-28-2011 10:24 PM

Subbing. I also like the idea of making this sticky.