Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=114418)

Katigre 03-20-2005 10:29 AM

Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes?

The only 'meat' DH and I cook with is poultry and seafood and we cook vegetarian 80% of the time. We have a crockpot and have only used it a few times in our 2 years of marriage. We just can't find recipes that we like! We don't enjoy typical 'american' style food (like meat and potatoes, carrots and celery type of taste) which is what most crock pot recipes tend to be.

Any suggestions/recipes for crock pot meals that are vegetarian or use a different set of flavors? (ethnic cuisine like mediterranean, latino and asian are what we mostly cook). Thanks in advance!

Punkie 03-20-2005 12:29 PM

Re: Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes?

Do you still eat cheese and other dairy products? If so, I've tried some pretty yummy latino and mediterranean recipes that are either vegetarian or could easily be made so...

Katigre 03-20-2005 12:42 PM

Oh yeah, we do a lot of different cheeses and stuff like that. I'd love to hear the recipes, thanks!

crunchymum 03-21-2005 12:00 AM

ooo, yummy, bring them on, punkie! :yum

ServingGod 03-21-2005 06:40 AM

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/crockpot/crockpot.shtml :smile

boonpnutsmom 03-21-2005 11:50 PM

I make a mean spicy tomato soup in a crock pot. Its very simple to make and it is great on chilly days.

Either fresh or canned chopped tomatos, one full round onion, garlic, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, celery, carrots, mushrooms, potato as a thickener (i mash it) ginger, cumin, tomato sauce or paste or soup, vegtable stock, and did I mention TOMATOES??? the more the better. Any other vegetables that you like can be added also, there are only a few that didn't mesh well so far I have found okra, and bittermelon. I never make it the same way so it never tastes the same.

julbug 03-23-2005 10:01 AM

I make a rice and lentil soup in mine. Sorry I don't know any amounts, I rarely measure and usually throw in things that I have on hand that sound good to me.

Basically I start with rice, lentils and vegetable both and from there put in whatever: onion, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, etc.

ShangriLewis 03-23-2005 01:14 PM

I got a great book from the library. But, it was Christmas and I didn't get around to using it. The recipes are vegan, too. No cream of yucky soup.

Fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker : 200 recipes for healthy and hearty one-pot meals that are ready when you are
Robertson, Robin

I use the crockpot when I'm going to be out. Spaghetti Sauce and Chili is what we use ours for. You can wrap potatoes in foil and put them in there to cook all day, too.

MySeoulChild 03-23-2005 03:10 PM

Oooh - I just used mine last night. :)

Here is what the recipe called for:

1 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3TBSP olive oil
2 tsp cumin

Sautee above ingredients, then add:

3TBSP flour

Cook another 2-3 minutes, then add:

1 small can of green chiles and 1/2 of an aseptic pack of vegetable broth (we really love Pacific in the brownish colored container)
Simmer a few minutes until thick (it will look gloppy at first, but it smooths out)

Drain and rinse 4 cans of navy beans and place in the crockpot. Add a can of mexican style tomatoes (we like Red Gold petite diced mexican).
Add the rest of the vegetable broth, then the mixture from the skillet. I also like to puree a couple cups of the beans and add it back to the soup to thicken it up, but this part isn't necessary.

We let it simmer for 4 hours on high and it was sooooo good :)
Topped with tortilla strips and a tablespoon of Better Than Sour Cream. : ) Yum!

poleidopy 03-23-2005 09:45 PM

oooh, keep the recipes coming! Awhile back I posted that I REALLY needed vegan/vegetarian crock-pot recipes, but didn't get that many responses. Maybe I need to be more specific...can anyone give me recipes to use lentils, split peas, ALL kinds of beans, rice...(that's about all that's in the cupboard right now! :P) Oh, andwhat kind of vegetable broth do you use? (Sorry, I just kinda jumped in on your thread)

julbug 03-23-2005 10:06 PM

I had to run to my pantry and get it. It's Imagine Organic Vegetable Cooking Stock, ok so it's stock not broth, but I've used either one in the past.

Ok went to look in the pantry again, I also have Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth, so like I said, either/or. I just try to have some on hand for those last minute "Oh my goodness, what's for dinner?" moments and the "I'm being really good by planning ahead" moments when I start a meal in the morning in the crockpot and don't have to think about it again until dinnertime.

ShangriLewis 03-24-2005 12:57 AM

Serving God..I didn't notice it before, but the picture of your little girl is so sweet. I love the bonnet. Did you make it and the dress?

Heather

ServingGod 03-24-2005 06:46 AM

Thank you! Actually its her baptism outfit...her godmother bought it. Last month all of my children were baptized. I love all the photos of her wearing it. :) :hearts

Punkie 03-24-2005 03:08 PM

I am going to post the recipes, but I'm away from home this week and don't have access to my cookbooks :) I just didn't want you to think that I forgot :P

MySeoulChild 03-25-2005 08:04 AM

oh, heck - dried beans can *always* be cooked in the crockpot.
You can always just cook a big batch of beans all day and then freeze them in individual servings for use in soups, salads, all kinds of dishes! :)
Pretty much just water and beans on high all day :)