Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Colonial Williamsburg? Jamestown? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523199)

KarenBoo 06-30-2017 01:14 AM

Colonial Williamsburg? Jamestown?

We are planning a trip for this fall. I'd love to know any tips on:

1) What homeschooling books/activities would be fun to do before the trip to help prepare us?

2) General tips to make the most out of our visit

3) Any btdt food allergy restaurants?

We'll be there for 5-6 days.

Thanks y'all!:heart

MudPies 06-30-2017 04:22 AM

Re: Colonial Williamsburg? Jamestown?

Opohhhhh!!! I love those places. I have not been in years though. When we went adding on the behind the scenes tours of the governer's mansion and such was worth it. Also make sure you go to the jamestown historic site and not just the re-enactment site (and don't miss the glass blowing at the historic site!!)

CelticJourney 06-30-2017 05:15 AM

As an archaeologist and having grown up in VA, I like Jamestowne fine, but Williamsburg makes me cringe. BUT knowing beforehand might make a difference. What makes me itchy about Williamsburg is that you can enter one house and it's historic. You can go into the next house and buy cheep souvenirs made in China. It messes with your head.

Other things of interest: there is a ferry across the river that puts you right out at Jamestown. You travel some nice rural VA roads to get to the landing on the opposite side, but it's kinda cool to arrive in the area by boat.

There are also some plantations closer to Richmond that are interesting and give a view of later time periods.

Virginia 06-30-2017 05:24 AM

PM me- I grew up there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingBlueKiwi 06-30-2017 05:50 AM

Saving to return later.

RealLifeMama 06-30-2017 07:16 AM

Are you going for homeschool days?
https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/plan/homeschoolers

We were just there a few months ago. We have been there often, but my kids had just watched Felicity and that is set there, so they thought that was kind of fun.

mamacat 06-30-2017 07:20 AM

www.mrnussbaum.com has some neat learning tutorials about the settlements and colonies

gerberadaisy 06-30-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBoo (Post 6092575)

1) What homeschooling books/activities would be fun to do before the trip to help prepare us?

See if you can get a copy of their daily activity guide (Williamsburg) to see what activities you all want to do. It used to be online but not sure if it still is. They'll give you one while you're there but to have an idea which activity everyone wants to do & prioritize those is a great help.

KarenBoo 06-30-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6092636)
Are you going for homeschool days?
https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/plan/homeschoolers

We were just there a few months ago. We have been there often, but my kids had just watched Felicity and that is set there, so they thought that was kind of fun.

No, we are missing it by a week! We're making the most of Labor Day because DH is a contractor. He can't work on Labor Day, but he doesn't get paid. So we might as well go then!

Virginia 06-30-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBoo (Post 6092575)

1) Not sure, so I'll let others take that question :)

2) There is so much to do in Williamsburg :) I'm not sure of your budget, but there is Great Wolf Lodge, Busch Gardens, Water Country (which will probably be closed by the time y'all get there), shopping at the Premium Outlets, Pirate's Cove mini golf...

3) Our favorite restaurant: https://www.foodforthoughtrestaurant.com
They have a gluten free menu. Most of the taverns at CW are pretty accommodating too.

If you can do shaved ice, Sno-to-Go may still be open while y'all are down there. Such good shaved ice- you can get it with soft serve ice cream layered. So yummy and locally owned by a Christian family :to

I actually worked at CW growing up. It has changed a lot since I've been there- they are actually about to lay off a bunch of people :( So I am not sure how that's affecting programming. But they usually have kid-specific programs and activities you can attend :)

I'd recommend going to Jamestown and Yorktown, too. You can drive the Colonial Parkway, which has a lot of places to stop (and goes all the way to Yorktown, which has a little beach that's kind of nice).

They also have a little "farmers market" in Merchants Square, which is adjacent to Colonial Williamsburg. Not sure when they stop meeting:
http://www.merchantssquare.org
http://williamsburgfarmersmarket.com

Aromas Coffee Shop has delicious coffee and light lunch/desserts. It's located in Merchants Square.

The Pottery shops have some unique shopping.

There are some parks and stuff if you want to take your kids to play. Kidsburg is on Monticello Ave and just got renovated- we met up there with our homeschool group when I was a kid, so it brings back memories!

Waller Mill Park has some short hiking trails around a lovely lake. We used to go there and rent paddle boats or fish all the time as kids.

Ummm...that's all I can think of right now :) If it weren't so expensive, I would live there and raise my family there.

gerberadaisy 06-30-2017 04:47 PM

Kidsburg is probably one of my favorite playgrounds ever. It's definitely in my top 10

I don't know the ages of your kids but I would say up to 12 or 13 would probably enjoy at least part of it. There is an enclosed toddler-maybe K play area but my guy always held his own on the larger structures, including the big boat. We discovered it somewhere between 15-18 months for him. We visit it every time we're in Williamsburg.

Pics from Yelp

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6092653)
1)

3) Our favorite restaurant: https://www.foodforthoughtrestaurant.com
They have a gluten free menu. Most of the taverns at CW are pretty accommodating too.

We'll be there in September too (during Homeschool days - YEA!) so I checked out that restaurant - Oh my wow that menu looks amazing. We'll have my GF mom along but she's persnickety so probably wouldn't enjoy but we'll try & sneak away for a date;) & maybe try it out.

KarenBoo 07-01-2017 12:39 AM

Awesome advice Virginia! Thank you! It sounds like you really love it there!:heart

AngelaVA 07-01-2017 06:13 AM

Colonial Williamsburg? Jamestown?

Bring some kind of documentation that you are homeschoolers and you will get a discount at Jamestown. I think this if for Jamestown only though. Check admission fees online if you haven't already, it is a nice experience but amusement park level expensive.

Oh and if you want to drive the extra hour or so and go to the beach while you are there I recommend packing food and going to Sandbridge over VA Beach. VA Beach is PACKED and is really a tourist trap.

FlyingBlueKiwi 07-01-2017 07:09 AM

A free ferry trip across the James river. You get on right by Historic Jamestowne.

Also, I know someone who rents out condos here for below market. When we went I think we paid about $60 - 80 a night for a two bedroom condo with kitchen. The resort also has lots of free family activities and sports. PM me if you want the person's info.

KarenBoo 07-01-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi (Post 6092778)
A free ferry trip across the James river. You get on right by Historic Jamestowne.

Also, I know someone who rents out condos here for below market. When we went I think we paid about $60 - 80 a night for a two bedroom condo with kitchen. The resort also has lots of free family activities and sports. PM me if you want the person's info.

Thanks! We already booked our timeshare. :)