Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   DIY Protein Bars/Balls or Energy Bars/Balls (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525067)

Soliloquy 03-31-2018 07:59 PM

DIY Protein Bars/Balls or Energy Bars/Balls

Anyone make their own? I've pinned a few recipes but other than homemade Lara bars (which are delicious) I haven't made any. I want to try. I think. For awhile I was trying to reduce my workload by outsourcing some things that I used to make myself. But it burns me at how expensive these bars are if you want quality ingredients. So, I'm considering it.

Here are some recipes I've found:

http://skinnyms.com/no-bake-workout-bars-recipe/

https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/...-protein-bars/

OnAMission 04-01-2018 07:16 AM

Re: DIY Protein Bars/Balls or Energy Bars/Balls

:cup

tempus vernum 04-01-2018 09:00 AM

Here is one I've made. Since we can tolerate gf oats, I'm considering making them again :yum

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/oasis-orbs-38919

ECingMama 04-01-2018 09:34 AM

I can share my recipe. I made 150. They freeze well.

2sunshines 04-01-2018 05:10 PM

Energy balls are in the regular rotation here. I can't remember where I found the original recipe, I make them from memory now. Basically it's:

Oats, natural peanut butter, honey, chia seeds and ground flax seed, a little bit of salt and cinnamon then whatever add in's you want (chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, etc). Roll in to balls then store in fridge.

Quiteria 04-01-2018 05:45 PM

I'd really like to start making something like this. I've been buying some bars from Aldi's that are basically just dates and nuts, that would be super easy to replicate as long as it didn't break the blender by being too thick.

Lady Grey 04-02-2018 08:40 AM

I haven’t made pb balls in ages and my kids have been asking for them. Mine are pb, oats, honey, coconut, wheat germ and sometimes flax meal.

tempus vernum 04-02-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6135064)
I can share my recipe. I made 150. They freeze well.

:poke recipe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6135096)
Energy balls are in the regular rotation here. I can't remember where I found the original recipe, I make them from memory now. Basically it's:

Oats, natural peanut butter, honey, chia seeds and ground flax seed, a little bit of salt and cinnamon then whatever add in's you want (chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, etc). Roll in to balls then store in fridge.

Do you eye ball them or do you have a recipe?

This thread reminded me of no bake chocolate oatmeal bars (I didn't do bars. I actually made drop cookies and cooled on wax paper cuz it was easier than having to cut them :lol).
https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/20...olate-oatmeal/

One of our favs until we went oat free. I am totally making these this week since we can have oats again :yum

Soliloquy 04-02-2018 12:23 PM

Anyone add protein powder? I and one of my kids needs high protein first thing in the morning or it ain't pretty. For awhile he would eat a Clif Whey Protein bar but now he's refusing those. :sigh. I need something for crazy mornings when we don't have time for eggs. I can handle less than ideal texture but he's going to be picky. Thankfully we have no allergies or anything. I try no manage his sugar intake but the protein is foremost. So, if I need to add more chocolate or honey, that's fine. But I need him to have a minimum 20g of protein for breakfast.

tempus vernum 04-02-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135191)
Anyone add protein powder? I and one of my kids needs high protein first thing in the morning or it ain't pretty. For awhile he would eat a Clif Whey Protein bar but now he's refusing those. :sigh. I need something for crazy mornings when we don't have time for eggs. I can handle less than ideal texture but he's going to be picky. Thankfully we have no allergies or anything. I try no manage his sugar intake but the protein is foremost. So, if I need to add more chocolate or honey, that's fine. But I need him to have a minimum 20g of protein for breakfast.

I would TOTALLY use protein instead of flax or just stir it in and try. That's a great idea :rockon

Soliloquy 04-02-2018 12:48 PM

Flax is also very high in phytoestrogens. :-/ It's all very confusing to me because there are different types of estrogen and I don't have the brain space to research it right now. I'm leaning toward flax is okay. But we use chia seeds, anyway, because I love them.

Note to myself to see what Ray Peat has to say about flax.

ECingMama 04-02-2018 12:59 PM

My recipe is in a box at our new house. I know which box though. :) It's labeled, throw out if I die. Lol

It's a whole box of my ideas on various things. But not sentimental.

I'll be there again this week. Will try to remember!

OnAMission 04-02-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6135156)
:poke recipe?

Do you eye ball them or do you have a recipe?

This thread reminded me of no bake chocolate oatmeal bars (I didn't do bars. I actually made drop cookies and cooled on wax paper cuz it was easier than having to cut them :lol).
https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/20...olate-oatmeal/

One of our favs until we went oat free. I am totally making these this week since we can have oats again :yum

We tried these this afternoon. Fantastic!! :yum

tempus vernum 04-02-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135198)
Flax is also very high in phytoestrogens. :-/ It's all very confusing to me because there are different types of estrogen and I don't have the brain space to research it right now. I'm leaning toward flax is okay. But we use chia seeds, anyway, because I love them.

Note to myself to see what Ray Peat has to say about flax.

I don’t use flax anymore. It’s questionable:shrug3 . I use ground almonds. If I try one of these recipes, I will probably try using ground almonds w whey protein stirred in.

ECingMama 04-02-2018 02:05 PM

My recipe is an adaptation of a chocolate covered Katie recipe. Maybe that one. Lol.