Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   GD Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=526)
-   -   Best Scriptures you feel support GBD (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=354162)

FebFaith 04-15-2010 02:14 AM

Re: Best Scriptures you feel support GBD

ie:Prov. 24:13 "He who spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I've always relied on the fact that the "rod" is like the rod a shepherd used to steer his sheep and not used to beat them into submission. So, my interpretation of the verse is that a parent who does not steer her child toward righteousness, etc hates her child, but she who instills discipline, etc in her child loves him.

Thoughts?[COLOR="Silver"]

:yes

Can Dance 04-15-2010 02:36 AM

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. :heart

do you like to be humiliated?
do you like to be yelled at?
do you like to be shamed?
do you like to be hit?
do you like to be told you are never quite good enough?

I thought not.

I think, if this verse was thought of with every interaction with our children, we would all come out a lot better. :heart

so basic and yet so hard to do!

Tasmanian Saint 04-15-2010 03:13 AM

"for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Phil 2:13

Of course, we're not able to directly change our children's hearts, as God does, but we can work externally (playful parenting, setting up for success) and we can bring God's Word to them.:heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie
Also, if anyone has interpretations of the standard verses used to back up spanking and the like, I'd love to hear it.

I find it useful when I see verses about 'beating them with the rod' to translate it in my mind as 'drum the Truth into them' - similar imagery that we'd never dream of taking literally :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can Dance
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. :heart

I think, if this verse was thought of with every interaction with our children, we would all come out a lot better. :heart

so basic and yet so hard to do!

So true.

Jenn2627 04-15-2010 07:57 PM

Subbing. :popcorn This is a fantastic thread.

WanderingMom 04-16-2010 10:50 PM

subbing as well:popcorn

mom2chaney_girls 04-18-2010 08:19 AM

Great thread. Just what I was needing. :clap

Quiteria 04-18-2010 09:16 AM

subbing

SilverMoon 04-18-2010 08:53 PM

Thank you!
Recently there was a discussion on my FB page about spanking and the pro-spanking person ended with a rod verse. I'm posting a few of these in response.

I've also realized that while the Spirit in me is agreeing with gentle discipline, I didn't have specific verses or passages to consult and prove this. Thank you!

motherlyservant 05-05-2010 10:28 AM

Galatian 6:1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently, But watch yourself or you also may be tempted.

This makes me think of how important it is to restore our children gently, and while doing so to not be tempted to give into anger.

ThreeKids 05-05-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FebFaith (Post 3023964)
ie:Prov. 24:13 "He who spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I've always relied on the fact that the "rod" is like the rod a shepherd used to steer his sheep and not used to beat them into submission. So, my interpretation of the verse is that a parent who does not steer her child toward righteousness, etc hates her child, but she who instills discipline, etc in her child loves him.

Another great one in support of GBD, if you ask me. It would not be very loving not to carefully guide our children. If not us, who?

passthemanna 05-05-2010 12:18 PM

subbing

jandjmommy 05-15-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie (Post 3019591)
Subbing....
Also, if anyone has interpretations of the standard verses used to back up spanking and the like, I'd love to hear it.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

YES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FebFaith (Post 3023964)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynaminbear (Post 3031660)
Thank you!
Recently there was a discussion on my FB page about spanking and the pro-spanking person ended with a rod verse. I'm posting a few of these in response.

I've also realized that while the Spirit in me is agreeing with gentle discipline, I didn't have specific verses or passages to consult and prove this. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthemanna (Post 3065454)
subbing

I love this essay--for me it's a great response to "spare the rod" advocates (plus, the fact that "spare the rod spoil the child" is not actually a verse in the bible stumps some!)
http://nospank.net/sagendrf.htm

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Luke 7:47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little. (Parable of immoral woman/moneylender but I think of it as big-picture advice: she loves Christ and is therefore forgiven--not forgiven because of an apology, or after punishment or accusation. The second point is not the opposite but logical nonetheless -- without forgiveness/grace love diminishes.)

amyhntr2 05-17-2010 04:38 PM

:popcorn

ValiantJoy07 05-17-2010 04:59 PM

Awesome!!!:rockon Copying and pasting all of the references to look up and make up a sheet of my faves to hang on the fridge! :ty
:heart

charla 05-17-2010 05:08 PM

Psalm 103:8-14, 17-18
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;
he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--
with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

Jeremiah 31:3
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.