Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Blueberry muffin recipe (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=516861)

esperanza 12-09-2015 09:04 PM

Blueberry muffin recipe

Anyone have a good one to share? Looking for pretty easy and semi healthyish without tasting like it.

charla 12-17-2015 09:42 PM

Re: Blueberry muffin recipe

:bump

derdsgirl 12-18-2015 03:00 AM

Re: Blueberry muffin recipe

2.25 cups whole wheat flour (I grind it myself, if using store bought, I'd decrease to 2 cups, and maybe cut the whole wheat with a bit of regular flour, since store bought whole wheat can be heavy on the bran which interferes with rising... anyway... I digress... )
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

1 egg
1 c milk (I use whole)
.5 c olive oil (or other oil)
.5 c honey

This is from BreadBeckers.

From this I add anything I want. Blueberries (a cup or two, I don't know exactly, I don't measure) and a spice like cinnamon or cloves. 2 mashed bananas and a touch of vanilla (could remove some oil or egg and/or sugar if adding banana, but sometimes I leave it all in :shrug). Add some whole millet for b vitamins and crunch (1/4 cup is plenty for a batch). Chocolate chips. I think I replaced some flour with oatmeal once, long ago. Mix and match all of the above. :shifty Sometimes I reduce the amount of honey either for money saving reasons, or to cut back on sugar. Though, truthfully, they are not super sweet muffins.

They bake at 350, and it goes quick - like 10 minutes? I don't know exactly, I just watch them, because it seems like every time I make them it takes a little bit different time, plus I make all sizes of muffins. So I just wing the timing each time... :shifty All total, I can make a batch and have it out of the oven in under 20 minutes (including milling flour if need be!).

It makes about 12 muffins without any add-ins. 2 dozen mini muffins which is my preferred size. You do fill each muffin about 3/4ths full, not 2/3rds as they don't rise the same because it is whole wheat. The texture at the end is great.

I feel like these are healthy. Whole foods. Whole wheat flour. Unrefined sugar (I use raw honey). Healthy oils. I never feel guilty giving these to my family. They aren't even considered a treat. Mostly I love that it is easy and is a what I call a "base recipe," one that is adaptable and flexible. Instead of having a bunch of different muffin recipes, I have one, and I adapt to what I want that day. It also flexes well (for a baking recipe) on the wet/dry ratio depending on what I have available to me and it still tastes great.