Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   Best AP book for new mom? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525523)

KSL 06-09-2018 08:48 AM

Best AP book for new mom?

Hi all,
My son’s teacher (whom we ADORE) is having her first baby next year. I’ve formed a nice relationship with her (she came Oder for dinner last week of school, and asked if we could keep in touch, said she’d be coming to me for parenting advice because she loves how I seem to enjoy moments with my kids, which made me feel really good!)

Anyways, we want to get her a little gift. I am thinking I’ll get her a Nose Frida snot sucker bc I think that’s an amazing practical gift, but I also thought about getting her a book and muslin baby blanket too. (I thought about a wrap, like a Moby, but that feels like something maybe she’ll want to pick? I don’t know.)

So here’s my question: my favorite AP-ish book for believers is Spirit-Led Parenting or the Dr Sears one (forgetting title but it’s an older one written specifically for Christians).

I don’t think his teacher is a Christian. So, what AP book would you recommend? What are some of your favorites for non-Christians?

tempus vernum 06-09-2018 12:13 PM

Re: Best AP book for new mom?

Dr Sears— the baby book

Soliloquy 06-09-2018 12:16 PM

I really like The Baby Book by Sears. It covers so many things, not just AP. It's pro-vaccine but not shaming to people who choose to delay or decline, IIRC. (It's been a long time since I read it but I've given it as a gift many times.)

It's also mainstream enough (written by a highly lettered pediatrician and his RN wife who had 8 children) that it can be used to help shush nosy people who try to tell you otherwise. "A pediatrician recommended that I not let my baby CIO," is much more effective than, "this book I read said . . . "

Virginia 06-09-2018 02:27 PM

I was going to recommend anything Dr. Sears— baby book or sleep book are my two faves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSL 06-09-2018 03:03 PM

I have the Baby Book and also loved it (I think I forgot about it because I loved the Christian version so much as it was a direct reply to the Babywise nonsense which sooooo many evangelicals had recommended to me).

Thank you ladies! I’ll order that one.

I really hope she asks me to come over and hold her baby so she can shower, etc. I love other people’s newborns and helping new moms so much because that was such a rough time for me.

Llee 06-09-2018 04:08 PM

I usually give 'The Wonder Weeks' and 'The Baby Book' by Dr. Sears. I also like 'Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby’s First Year' by Megan Tietz and Laura Oyer.

Virginia 06-10-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSL (Post 6144810)
I have the Baby Book and also loved it (I think I forgot about it because I loved the Christian version so much as it was a direct reply to the Babywise nonsense which sooooo many evangelicals had recommended to me).

Thank you ladies! I’ll order that one.

I really hope she asks me to come over and hold her baby so she can shower, etc. I love other people’s newborns and helping new moms so much because that was such a rough time for me.

Could you put the offer out there and let her know you’d love to help on a tangible way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSL 06-10-2018 07:53 PM

@Virginia— I’ve told her that I would love to come hold the baby so she can shower or nap or anything. And that I’d like to bring her a meal. I’m going to make the offer again at least three times after she has baby so she knows I really mean it!! :;) she also
Told me on last day of school she’s really hoping we invite her over again so her husband can come (he had had dental surgery and couldn’t come the day we had her over)

@lee— Spirit Led Parenting is my favorite book for new parents who are believers too! I’m about to order that one for another friend of mine who’s having her first baby. I contributed a story about babywise that made it from GCM (with my permission of course) into Spirit Led Parenting.

HadassahSukkot 06-11-2018 04:20 AM

It's out of print now, but still available - Born Dancing: How Intuitive Parents Understand Their Baby's Unspoken Language and Natural Rhythms