Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   What do you do with flat sheets? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527475)

ThreeKids 08-10-2019 09:06 AM

What do you do with flat sheets?

I'm about to replace a lot of fitted sheets in this house which means we'll have a lot of flat sheets that come in the sets. We use them once in a while as the lightest blanket or to line a couch when a kid is sick bit hardly ever. Do you have a use for them. Should I throw them away or donate them?

knitlove 08-10-2019 09:27 AM

Re: What do you do with flat sheets?

The last few times I bought sheets I could buy them not in sets. I know that at Target and Ikea they have ways you can buy just fited sheets and pillow cases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MegMarch 08-10-2019 09:39 AM

We keep a couple for forts and guests and the rest go to donations to animal shelters.

WanderingJuniper 08-10-2019 09:42 AM

We’ve been able to buy sheets separately. But on the occasion we get a set usually we use the flat as a table cloth. I’ve turned a few into hammocks for the kids too. Or local animal rescue is always taking donations of old sheets blankets and towels as well. Oh I’ve also turned a few into curtains before.

marbles 08-10-2019 09:54 AM

I use them to cover the rug when the kids have food or messy things in the living room.

Lady Grey 08-10-2019 10:09 AM

I usually get the Threshold fitted sheets separately at Target, unless I find sets on clearance. We usually save them for kids’ sewing projects. I have heard of quilting guilds using them for the backing for charity quilts.

kiloyd 08-10-2019 10:47 AM

You don't use flat sheets on your bed? Just your comforter? My daughter does that, drives me nuts. :giggle

Don't throw them away! We use ours for forts, drop cloth when painting, cover on van seats for pets, picnic outside.

If you don't do those things then donate.

I once took 2 sheets from the very top of our neighbor's trash when they moved. I've used those 2 sheets for so many things!

Maedchen 08-10-2019 11:02 AM

All good suggestions above. They can be used to make clothing if you sew, or cut into strips and crocheted into rag rugs.

CelticJourney 08-10-2019 11:44 AM

If you don't buy them separately, donate the flat sheets. I sew for a lady who does 'trap, neuter, return' with cats and she needs the sheets (modified) to cover the traps.

ThreeKids 08-11-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6188811)
You don't use flat sheets on your bed? Just your comforter? My daughter does that, drives me nuts. :giggle

Nope. Even when I use the comforter that's hard to wash, I use a super soft fleece blanket under it. A thicker blanket stays in place better and if I get too hot, I cover less of myself.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I'm going to order a six pack of gray sheets for the twin size. Then, I'll be done with picking up a folded sheet and having to wonder if it's the flat or fitted since gray = fitted. And I'll donate the excess flats we have around here.

Aerynne 08-11-2019 07:47 AM

You don’t use flat sheets on beds? We use them to keep blankets cleaner so they don’t have to be washed as often. Flat sheets would make great tablecloths!

If you’re in the US I can send you a bunch of white twin fitted sheets that I just bought all new sheet sets to replace so I could have flat sheets. They’re used but fine.

ThreeKids 08-11-2019 01:24 PM

I'm in the US.

ECingMama 08-11-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6188873)
You don’t use flat sheets on beds? We use them to keep blankets cleaner so they don’t have to be washed as often. Flat sheets would make great tablecloths!

If you’re in the US I can send you a bunch of white twin fitted sheets that I just bought all new sheet sets to replace so I could have flat sheets. They’re used but fine.

This is me. I neeeeeed my flat sheets. I'm kinda in shock that others don't like them! I use them all year. Fleece in the winter. Cotton in the summer. I love my flat sheets.:giggle

ValiantJoy07 08-11-2019 02:10 PM

There was a big conversation about this recently with a bunch of friends on Facebook. Apparently a lot of people don't use flat sheets. :jawdrop

I don't think dh would if it weren't for my love of them, I love th cool, fresh, smooth feeling on top of me and having them tucked in tight at the end of the bed holding my feet snug.

My kids don't use them.

heartofjoy 08-11-2019 02:29 PM

I totally use flat sheets. I can't imagine sleeping without one! My kids mostly use them too, but not always.