Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   What can I make with 1 lemon? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526614)

twoplustwo 02-01-2019 05:32 AM

What can I make with 1 lemon?

Ok, so I bought 2 lemons to go with our fish dinner and we only used 1.

What can I make with 1 lemon?

I can be any course, snack, meal, dessert.

I would like to be able to do it with supplies I have on hand (ie make it today) so maybe something dessert might be more likely. I was thinking lemon bars but probably need more than 1 lemon. I do not have lemon juice.

mommychem 02-01-2019 06:02 AM

Re: What can I make with 1 lemon?

Ooooh, I keep lemons in the house as they are so good to have around. I can make tea with one lemon. I can make salad dressing, either a lemon vinaigrette or add it to some other flavored dressing using it as the acidic ingredient. I make ranch dip with it (mayo, sour cream or yogurt (in a pinch), crushed garlic, salt and pepper to taste, fresh or dried herbs). I squeeze it over roasted or steamed veggies. Sometimes I put half a lemon in my bone broth or I stuff a chicken I’m roasting with it. I add some juice to blueberry bread or muffins. If you have a high powered blender, you only need one whole lemon for about four cups of lemonade. If you squeeze the juice out of it, you can use the peel and flesh to freshen your garbage disposal or put some salt on it to scrub a pot with stuck on food.

twoplustwo 02-01-2019 07:31 AM

tea - I drink a lot of tea all day long, but only like lemon in my cold tea.

salad dressing, either a lemon vinaigrette - I do have olive oil, vinegar
ranch dip I also have plain greek yogurt and crushed garlic, salt and pepper and ranch type dried herbs
I squeeze it over roasted or steamed veggies. I love that but the rest of the family prefers without lemon. I actually put lemon on my roasted asparagus yesterday. Thinking something more for everyone.

half a lemon in my bone broth or I stuff a chicken I’m roasting with it. I dont do bone broth and don't roast whole chickens since dd is a vegetarian and we eat low meat. It takes a lot for us to go through a whole chicken.

blueberry bread or muffins. I dont have blueberries but may have bananas in the freezer.

If you have a high powered blender, you only need one whole lemon for about four cups of lemonade. I do have a blender but dont know if its high powered or not but its too cold for lemonade! lol!

you can use the peel and flesh to freshen your garbage disposal yes I always do that and did it with the one we used yesterday with the fish.

Ok, so there IS a ranch dip I make with greek yogurt so I could try to add lemon with it. Also dh loves homemade vinaigrette so I could try that as well. Or maybe both.

:think

mommychem 02-01-2019 03:58 PM

What did you ultimately make?

twoplustwo 02-01-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommychem (Post 6170376)
What did you ultimately make?

Haha. Nothing. Yet.

We went sledding this am and then our new dog had her vet appt. And then we ate dinner, then played a board game. Now going to watch a TV Show and then bed. Tomorrow.

Soliloquy 02-01-2019 11:25 PM

Fresh lemon juice is delicious on top of just about anything.

Lemon bars require a lot of lemon juice. I buy the big bottle at Costco if we're going to make lemon bars.

heartofjoy 02-02-2019 09:03 AM

Lemon rice is good. Something like this: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-rice/

Aerynne 02-02-2019 01:12 PM

I was also going to suggest lemon rice. My 11 yo ds fries rice with a little oil, lemon juice, and a little sage. It is so good. He calls it restaurant rice.

You can make your own salad dressing.

Cut it up and put slices in any kind of drink- water, juice, soda, etc. It makes a meal feel really special (especially good with kids for a wow factor).

Any kind of blueberry muffin or cake or a pound cake- really it would be good in any baked good (substitute the lemon juice for liquid).

twoplustwo 02-02-2019 05:03 PM

busy day today (funeral, ds basketball, dd soccer) - I should use it tomorrow or Monday. I do like the idea of lemon rice too!

twoplustwo 02-09-2019 11:23 AM

I ended up making the lemon dip (greek yogurt). I really wanted to do the lemon rice but again . .. time. . .it was super good tho. And now I have a bunch of new lemon things I want to try.

Little Forest 02-09-2019 08:32 PM

Reading the title my first thought was a gin and tonic is the obvious answer. :D

We have a lemon tree and I just love it. Yesterday DH sent out a DD to pick one to make us gin and tonics. This is the life. :giggle