Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Lice Prevention? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=173903)

Charlie U 09-29-2006 05:35 PM

Lice Prevention?

We got a "head lice" notice in Rebecca's backpack. It didn't say which class. (I don't need to know which student ... just which class.) So I asked Rebecca if anyone was missing in her class today. There was. :( According to Rebecca because she "had bugs in her hair. And she's not feeling good."

I did a quick check of her scalp and didn't notice anything. I'm going to buy a fine tooth comb tonight. I'm wondering what a good, natural prevention/cure would be. I'd like to wash Rebecca's hair real good over the weekend as a preventative or possibly cure. I've heard tea tree oil is good.

Charlie U 09-29-2006 06:26 PM

Re: Lice Prevention?

Eeek. Found out that TTO will work. Will it prevent?

cobluegirl 09-29-2006 07:01 PM

I don't know if it will prevent it...I would think so...if you wash with a few drops in your shampoo every couple of days. We had lice in Aug. Not fun. the best comb is the Nit Picker and it is like $12...very worth it if you get it. you could google it to see where who carries it..I got ours at a special pharmacy. But I think some walgreens have it.
A friend told me that Avon's Skin so Soft in the hair would prevent..but that would smell horrid..lol and look icky.

do a search in the NH2 forum and you will find my thread about this when we had it.

freshwaterfish 09-29-2006 08:36 PM

I read somewhere that clearasil works very good as well... Maybe do a search online? I would think that would be fairly non-toxic... :shrug

lmgeenw 09-30-2006 10:37 AM

We got exposed to lice at our homeschool group a week ago too. I have been using tea tree shampoo and :pray. I also heard that olive oil suffocates the bugs when you already have it, but besides that, I don't know much. Except that I am going to be :sick if my kids get it! I am not a squimish person except when it comes to bugs in my kids hair! :jawdrop

bliss 10-02-2006 10:22 AM

Just make sure she knows beyond the shadow of any doubt, that we do not:
1. share hats, scrunchies, barettes, hairbrushes, sweaters, coats, scarves, earmuffs, headbands. . .anything that's been on or near anyone's head (including costumes at school, if they have that kind of thing)
2. put our heads down with someone else's (like whispering in ears, lying in the grass head-to-head, etc.)
Lice has been rampant in our neighborhood for years, and these are military-style drills in our house! :giggle "Booger, can you use barettes at someone else's house?" "NO MA'AM!" "Booger, if Sarah down the street wants to play "Hair salon", what do you say?" "I AM NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY HAIR SALON MA'AM!" :giggle We haven't had them yet!
Good luck!