Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Home-keeping Schedules (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=114068)

joyfulmomof2 01-12-2006 08:17 PM

Re: Home-keeping Schedules

Edited again to reflect a change in my schedule:

My Weekly Plan

(Taking care of, playing with, teaching and feeding dc are all considered a given in my list.)

Sunday:
Church
To Do List
Baths, stories, lights out
Me time

Monday:
Laundry
To Do List
Get ready for work the next day
Me time

Tuesday:
Work

Wednesday:
Work

Thursday:
Work
Me time

Friday:
To Do List
Clean the house
Laundry
Stories, lights out
Me time

Saturday:
To Do List
Stories, lights out
Me time

Taedareth 01-16-2006 07:24 PM

I'm trying the "Sidetracked Home Executive" system. Has anyone else?

Michelle-Lea 01-25-2006 02:23 PM

My routine isn't really a routine as much as a daily maintenance.Have a 2 year old and 3 month old twins makes cleaning quite difficult. :lol: I do what I call my morning and evening sweeps..

Get up, make bed
Get DS's up, they make their bed and get dressed
Eat breakfast
DS #1 goes to school
Feed babies, put down for tummy time
Go through all the rooms gathering what doesn't belong and putting it back, wash morning dishes, start a load of laundry and vacuum if needed.
I'm usually done with this by 10 or so, then I feel free to play with the twins/DS #2

We have lunch and I wash dishes up
Then it's story time and naptime

DS#1 comes home from school
We talk about our days and review any school things/do homework
We make dinner and eat
We do dishes and put them away
DS's play
Bathtime
Bible/bedtime

Then, I make another sweep just like I do in the morning. My house isn't perfect, but it's presentable and de-cluttered. And, with as much as I have going on right now, I'm happy with it. :)

Linnis 02-12-2006 11:47 PM

I do housework in 15 minute chunks, not only because being a SAHW and taking care of my nephew I have active rheumatoid arthritis. Keeps me from over doing it.

Like I'll empty the dishwasher, load it again, & wash any big dishes(AKA pots, pans, mixing bowls)

I'll do something else and come back and clean off the counters, table and sinks, collect trash.

Take a break to message board, then I'll clean the bathroom.

Cleaning the kitchen and dishes happens 2-3 times a day, normally I only load the dishwasher after dinner or on bread making day I do two loads.

Bathroom gets done once a week and touched up when needed. Dusting gets done once a week as well as mopping floors.

Vacuming gets done 3-4 days a week because I have two asthmatics.

AmyS 02-21-2006 11:37 AM

:blushI am not a great house keeper. However, when I feel the need to take action and reaaly get it under control I like Fly Lady. You even get e-mail reminders. Otherwise, we have a GI party (as in GI Joe) once a week for 1/2 the house at a time.

RealLifeMama 02-21-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taedareth
I'm trying the "Sidetracked Home Executive" system. Has anyone else?

I love that system and that book.
I haven't used it in a long time but it really worked for me when I did.

reneeber 02-28-2006 08:54 AM

I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not.

I use the schedule from Motivated Moms - http://www.motivatedmoms.com/ It's awesome, and you can buy it and then download it from their website. You can also choose to get one that includes a daily Bible reading plan.

I don't do it perfectly, but it helps keep me more on track.

reneeber 02-28-2006 08:54 AM

I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not.

I use the schedule from Motivated Moms - http://www.motivatedmoms.com/ It's awesome, and you can buy it and then download it from their website. You can also choose to get one that includes a daily Bible reading plan.

I don't do it perfectly, but it helps keep me more on track.

HA 04-28-2006 04:45 PM

:popcorn Keeping a Schedule to list down what should be made priority for each day seems to be the best way to do things by setting a goal before you as something to reach or aim toward.

Blessings,

Dee

KatieMae 07-06-2006 08:06 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these posts about how we 'do it all' (or not sometimes! :P~) Simple, Daily Maintenance is the key to never having to do a "project" to get a clean room in your house.

Here's my main idea for housekeeping; I keep it on an index card on the fridge, right at eye level so I always see it...

Monday
* Thorough vacuum of the downstairs
* Laundry (2 loads + sheets + towels)

Tuesday
* Finish sheets/towels (if needed)
* Clean one of the two upstairs baths (while kids play after their bath; These bathrooms are little-used, so I alternate weeks)

Wednesday
* Quick vacuum (high-traffic areas)
* Sweep kitchen & powder room

Thursday
* Meal plan & make grocery list
* Dust downstairs
* Clean powder room

Friday
* Laundry (3 loads + rugs from kitchen/baths)
* Quick vacuum (high-traffic areas) in evening

Weekend
* All shopping done first-thing on Saturday morning w/ DH & children (I mean early, we leave around 7:30am - there are so few people in the stores - it's a great time to shop! No lines at the check-out & you'll get personal attention when you need help)
* Mop kitchen & powder room floor (while DH keeps children occupied!)
* Once a month, I dust & vacuum upstairs (we're only up there to sleep so it doesn't get very dirty at all)
* NOTE: I used to try to do all my big cleaning (floors, bathrooms, etc) on the weekend, but I never got to it b/c I wanted to spend time with my family, so I've decided to spread it out easily throughout the week and now it's done and I can still have our time together.

My Daily Tidy Routine - I especially love doing a "Reset" at the end of the day
* Morning: empty dishwasher while oatmeal cooks
* Quickly hand-wash any dishes that didn't get in the dishwasher the previous night (like large pans, which were WELL-RINSED the night before)
* Throughout the day, as soon as a meal/snack/baking is done, the dishes go into the dishwasher, keeping the counters clear
* Pick up toys when the kids are eating snacks/meals (mine are too young to really "help" much, but when they're older, THEY will pick up at these times also)
* At naptime, I sit relax & enjoy my tidy living room!
* Also, throughout the day, anything that needs to go upstairs is put in the basket we have next to the stairs & I take it up with us at bathtime and I immediately put the items wherever they belong.
* At bathtime, I get each room ready for bed - putting toys away, fluffing pillows, pulling back sheets (note: I never make our beds b/c the kids nap in them mid-day, so it's pretty useless at this point, but again, when they're older this WILL be done)
* "THE RESET": When DH takes Lucas to bed, I pick up & put away their toys as well as make sure all dinner dishes are in the dishwasher or rinsed & on the counter for the morning hand-wash; run the dishwasher. Also, make sure DH's lunch is ready to go for the morning.I go to bed with a clean house & when I come down in the morning I'm not depressed by all the work I already have to do from the previous day.

NEmomof4 08-13-2006 06:07 PM

What I can handle as far as routine is pretty basic but it makes me feel good when I know if it's not bathroom day, I don't have to clean the bathroom etc.
Monday-Wednesday-Friday - Laundry +weekends if it is excessive
Tuesday - Bathrooms
Thursday - Floors
Those are the main ones for me but every morning we do family clean up where we get the general tidy done and I do the extras like dusting only when I'm having important company :O

jollygreen 11-13-2006 10:02 AM

Clean (shovel?) for one hour after my morning workout. Then mad scramble when DH calls on his way home - gives me a 30-minute window - to get things appearing tidy. I really need to do something more comprehensive, as kiddo #3 is on his/her way... Inspire me, ladies!

Drew 01-12-2007 07:01 AM

This thread is exacly wha I need! We just moved into our new house and I'm terrified that it is going to get our of control. We couldn't even manage to keep our apartment clean half the time. :shifty

Quietspirit 01-12-2007 08:22 AM

I completely plagarized KatieMae :O and used her schedule as a template and added my own things to it. I hope that's okay! I loved how you had it set up. :heart

Anyway, here is my schedule and I'm loving it!

Monday
* Vacuum downstairs
* Laundry (2 loads + sheets + towels)
* Make beds with clean sheets
* Put out new towels

Tuesday
* Clean upstairs baths
* Laundry (2 loads)

Wednesday
* Laundry (2 loads)
* Sweep kitchen & powder room
*Vacuum upstairs

Thursday
* Laundry (2 loads)
* Clean powder room

Friday
* Meal plan & make grocery list
* Laundry (2 loads + bath rug and pillows)
* Vacuum upstairs

Weekend
* All shopping done first-thing on Saturday morning
* Mop kitchen & powder room floor

My Daily Tidy Routine - I especially love doing a "Reset" at the end of the day
* Boys responsible for their chores morning and afternoon
* Quickly hand-wash any dishes that didn't get in the dishwasher the previous night (like large pans, which were WELL-RINSED the night before)
* Throughout the day, as soon as a meal/snack/baking is done, the dishes go into the dishwasher, keeping the counters clear
*Make A’s lunch for next day; check that papers are signed and ready for school
* "THE RESET": I make sure all dinner dishes are in the dishwasher or rinsed & on the counter for the morning hand-wash; run the dishwasher. Any stray toys are put away at this time also. Montessori area is straightened.

anitajoye 01-20-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShangriLewis
So, if I notice we have a problem we work on it till no one thinks about picking things up. Like I find myself cleaning the bathroom if I'm in there with the kids or if I'm cooking I clean the kitchen or put away dishes.

Heather

I actually am writing up a formal schedule because I am starting 15 hours at the university , have 2 kids, and want to keep my life straight! But I agree with this, often, While brushing my teeth I will wipe the sink, if the kids are in the bath I will clean the toilet, etc... If I am on the phone I will do spare dishes....But like I said, I am going to have to tighten up a bit, instead of having whole days to do things, i will need to be more deliberate, which is why I clicked on this thread!
Anyone BTDT with full time school with 2 small ones? I am open to tips! VERY OPEN.
-AnitaJoye