Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   What do you do with flat sheets? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527475)

ThreeKids 08-10-2019 09:06 AM

What do you do with flat sheets?

I'm about to replace a lot of fitted sheets in this house which means we'll have a lot of flat sheets that come in the sets. We use them once in a while as the lightest blanket or to line a couch when a kid is sick bit hardly ever. Do you have a use for them. Should I throw them away or donate them?

knitlove 08-10-2019 09:27 AM

Re: What do you do with flat sheets?

The last few times I bought sheets I could buy them not in sets. I know that at Target and Ikea they have ways you can buy just fited sheets and pillow cases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MegMarch 08-10-2019 09:39 AM

We keep a couple for forts and guests and the rest go to donations to animal shelters.

WanderingJuniper 08-10-2019 09:42 AM

We’ve been able to buy sheets separately. But on the occasion we get a set usually we use the flat as a table cloth. I’ve turned a few into hammocks for the kids too. Or local animal rescue is always taking donations of old sheets blankets and towels as well. Oh I’ve also turned a few into curtains before.

marbles 08-10-2019 09:54 AM

I use them to cover the rug when the kids have food or messy things in the living room.

Lady Grey 08-10-2019 10:09 AM

I usually get the Threshold fitted sheets separately at Target, unless I find sets on clearance. We usually save them for kids’ sewing projects. I have heard of quilting guilds using them for the backing for charity quilts.

kiloyd 08-10-2019 10:47 AM

You don't use flat sheets on your bed? Just your comforter? My daughter does that, drives me nuts. :giggle

Don't throw them away! We use ours for forts, drop cloth when painting, cover on van seats for pets, picnic outside.

If you don't do those things then donate.

I once took 2 sheets from the very top of our neighbor's trash when they moved. I've used those 2 sheets for so many things!

Maedchen 08-10-2019 11:02 AM

All good suggestions above. They can be used to make clothing if you sew, or cut into strips and crocheted into rag rugs.

CelticJourney 08-10-2019 11:44 AM

If you don't buy them separately, donate the flat sheets. I sew for a lady who does 'trap, neuter, return' with cats and she needs the sheets (modified) to cover the traps.

ThreeKids 08-11-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6188811)
You don't use flat sheets on your bed? Just your comforter? My daughter does that, drives me nuts. :giggle

Nope. Even when I use the comforter that's hard to wash, I use a super soft fleece blanket under it. A thicker blanket stays in place better and if I get too hot, I cover less of myself.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I'm going to order a six pack of gray sheets for the twin size. Then, I'll be done with picking up a folded sheet and having to wonder if it's the flat or fitted since gray = fitted. And I'll donate the excess flats we have around here.

Aerynne 08-11-2019 07:47 AM

You don’t use flat sheets on beds? We use them to keep blankets cleaner so they don’t have to be washed as often. Flat sheets would make great tablecloths!

If you’re in the US I can send you a bunch of white twin fitted sheets that I just bought all new sheet sets to replace so I could have flat sheets. They’re used but fine.

ThreeKids 08-11-2019 01:24 PM

I'm in the US.

ECingMama 08-11-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6188873)
You don’t use flat sheets on beds? We use them to keep blankets cleaner so they don’t have to be washed as often. Flat sheets would make great tablecloths!

If you’re in the US I can send you a bunch of white twin fitted sheets that I just bought all new sheet sets to replace so I could have flat sheets. They’re used but fine.

This is me. I neeeeeed my flat sheets. I'm kinda in shock that others don't like them! I use them all year. Fleece in the winter. Cotton in the summer. I love my flat sheets.:giggle

ValiantJoy07 08-11-2019 02:10 PM

There was a big conversation about this recently with a bunch of friends on Facebook. Apparently a lot of people don't use flat sheets. :jawdrop

I don't think dh would if it weren't for my love of them, I love th cool, fresh, smooth feeling on top of me and having them tucked in tight at the end of the bed holding my feet snug.

My kids don't use them.

heartofjoy 08-11-2019 02:29 PM

I totally use flat sheets. I can't imagine sleeping without one! My kids mostly use them too, but not always.

RooMama 08-11-2019 04:17 PM

I was in Europe over the summer and none of the hotels had flat sheets. It was awful! It was way to hot to cover up with the heavy duvet, but I can't sleep without some sort of cover. So everynight before bed, I would pick up the edge of the duvet cover and shake the duvet down to one side and use the empty side like a sheet. I loooooovvvvveeee my flat sheets.

kiloyd 08-11-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6188899)
There was a big conversation about this recently with a bunch of friends on Facebook. Apparently a lot of people don't use flat sheets. :jawdrop

You mean to say that there are more people out there than just my daughter that sleep "wrong"? :giggle

knitlove 08-11-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6188919)
You mean to say that there are more people out there than just my daughter that sleep "wrong"? :giggle

I prefer to think of it a European ;-)

Aerynne 08-11-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6188920)
I prefer to think of it a European ;-)

It is European. Dh and I met in Europe and we tried the whole duvet thing both there and here. Turns out it is an enormous pain, at least to me. I don’t like stuffing the duvets into the covers every time I want to wash the covers. Comforters and flat sheets are so much easier! The only time my kids don’t use flat sheets is my little ones who just sleep with a smaller fleece blanket- then that is easy to throw in the washer with the fitted sheet.

But to each their own!

Lady Grey 08-12-2019 11:40 AM

Dh and I use a flat sheet and my oldest has for a few years, but the younger kids don't. They use a fleece blanket or a quilt.

expatmom 08-12-2019 12:55 PM

I’ve sewn 2 flat sheets together to make an inexpensive duvet cover that matches fitted sheets.

knitlove 08-12-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatmom (Post 6188973)
I’ve sewn 2 flat sheets together to make an inexpensive duvet cover that matches fitted sheets.

That is what I have done with them as well.

WanderingJuniper 08-12-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6188919)

:lol My son sleeps “wrong” too. He doesn’t even like comforters.
Fitted sheet and then just piles on as many fleece blankets as the weather requires it him. Just so much no.

Hermana Linda 08-12-2019 10:20 PM

I love my flat sheets. I have threadbare ones for hot weather and I often use 2 or 3 different weighted sheets in different combinations so I have just the right weight for the temperate.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

knitlove 08-12-2019 10:24 PM

I think people who like flat sheets don't sleep like I do. Where my feet feel trapped and suffocated in my toes can't peek out, and then when I move the flat sheets wrapes its self around me like an unfreandly octopus trying to eat me.

Hermana Linda 08-12-2019 10:26 PM

I don't actually tuck them in. : think But yeah, I am pretty still.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

MudPies 08-13-2019 06:36 PM

Knitlove- without a flat sheet your feet are not protected from the monster under the bed. You know- the one that grabs any exposed feet or toes!! :giggle. Even on the hottest days, my feet must be under the sheet.

Mother of Sons 08-13-2019 07:30 PM

I used to be super anti top sheet and never bought sets for that reason but a few years ago as an anniversary gift to each other we got nice bedding. I got a down duvet and cover (will never go back) and nicer sheets and so I started using the top sheet. It feels sooo nice.

kiloyd 08-13-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 6189225)
I used to be super anti top sheet and never bought sets for that reason but a few years ago as an anniversary gift to each other we got nice bedding. I got a down duvet and cover (will never go back) and nicer sheets and so I started using the top sheet. It feels sooo nice.

Much easier to wash the sheets than the duvet cover.

Aerynne 08-13-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6189228)

Yes. We use the top sheet even when we also use the duvet with the cover.

Mother of Sons 08-14-2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

It definitely is but I still wash the duvet cover when I change the bedding because I switch covers for a new look. It’s one of the things I like about duvets.

kiloyd 08-15-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 6189256)
It definitely is but I still wash the duvet cover when I change the bedding because I switch covers for a new look. It’s one of the things I like about duvets.

:haha I've been using the same plum colored duvet cover for the last 10 winters!

Mother of Sons 08-15-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6189457)
:haha I've been using the same plum colored duvet cover for the last 10 winters!

Lol I only have 2. I switch them every other week when I am on top of things.

mummy2boys 08-19-2019 10:58 PM

We use flat sheets always! I recently heard that people didn't use them and I was like :jawdrop:hunh:giggle

We use leftover sheets as drop sheets for messy activities, for putting on our pets beds, sewing etc