Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Safe bakeware (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528353)

Aerynne 04-09-2020 03:08 PM

Safe bakeware

Feel free to move this- I couldn't decide where to put it.

I am in need of round pizza pans, round cake pans, and rectangle baking sheets (cookie sheets with the short sides).

Because I have kids and accidents happen like crazy, I need something that doesn't break. Also want something not crazy heavy for getting out of the oven.

What is everyone thinking about the safest thing to bake on? I am not doing cast iron. Lately I am liking the silicon liners, though who knows what people are going to find out about those in 20 years. There is also the ceramic lined bakeware, so that's an option, though I've heard that can have heavy metals and sometimes isn't entirely ceramic. Also it might be breakable(?)

knitlove 04-09-2020 04:59 PM

Re: Safe bakeware

My pizza pans( I normally do pizza on my steel - though I had a pizza stone before), cake pans a sheet pans are all steel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 04-09-2020 05:00 PM

Are you against steel pans?

Soliloquy 04-09-2020 05:29 PM

Pyrex is the safest, healthwise, IMO.

I have all Pyrex except for round cake pans, pizza pans, and cookie sheets.

My cookie sheets and round cake pans are stainless steel. I use parchment paper on them. Very inexpensive when purchased at Costco.

My pizza pans are stone. I wouldn't want to bake pizza on anything else. I preheat my stones to 500 F. I make the pizzas on parchment paper on a cutting board, then transfer them to the hot stone. We used to have a pizza peel but it cracked. Parchment paper is easier than a peel, though.

Aerynne 04-09-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6212976)
Are you against steel pans?

No, I’m not against steel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6212985)
Pyrex is the safest, healthwise, IMO.

I have all Pyrex except for round cake pans, pizza pans, and cookie sheets.

My cookie sheets and round cake pans are stainless steel. I use parchment paper on them. Very inexpensive when purchased at Costco.

My pizza pans are stone. I wouldn't want to bake pizza on anything else. I preheat my stones to 500 F. I make the pizzas on parchment paper on a cutting board, then transfer them to the hot stone. We used to have a pizza peel but it cracked. Parchment paper is easier than a peel, though.

I have a pizza stone. It’s heavy and they break. They do make good pizza, though.

I also have some pyrex pans, but they are also heavy and breakable.

Seriously, with kids big enough to cook and wash dishes, everything gets broken.

knitlove 04-09-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6212993)
No, I’m not against steel.

I have a pizza stone. It’s heavy and they break. They do make good pizza, though.

After I broke my 5 pizza stone my mom bought be a pizza steel is is a sheet of steel that I can use in the oven ( I normally just leave it there - I know that can be controversial) or on the grill or over and open fire if I want.

ViolaMum 04-09-2020 06:30 PM

My pizza stone cracked and I got a pizza steel. Works better than the stone, IMO.

Pyrex is more durable than stoneware. And it's inexpensive to replace. Stoneware, while it gives better browning and releases better, is so stinking expensive. I have one enamel-coated Pampered Chef Pie plate that has stood the test of time, but all of my other PC pieces have cracked after 3-4 years.

For the specific pans you're talking about, I use steel. I buy parchment sheets in bulk and use them for certain things, but silpat mats are actually less expensive over time (with the amount I bake it adds up). Silicone releases so beautifully. Coconut macaroons don't even stick to it. :shifty

Soliloquy 04-09-2020 09:19 PM

My kids don't handle my pizza stones, usually. I've had them a long time. We've dropped Pyrex bakeware on the the floor and it hasn't broken. Stainless steel is great, though, if you want unbreakable. I bought my cake pans & cookie sheets at Amazon

ViolaMum 04-10-2020 10:01 AM

My pizza stone lived in the bottom of the oven. It was big and heavy, and I get lazy :shifty so I left it in there. Eventually it cracked down the middle. It was never dropped, but I suppose pans could have been slammed down a little too hard on it when it was hot. That's the second one in 15 years, I think? I'm hoping the steel has more longevity.

knitlove 04-10-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6213088)
My pizza stone lived in the bottom of the oven. It was big and heavy, and I get lazy :shifty so I left it in there. Eventually it cracked down the middle. It was never dropped, but I suppose pans could have been slammed down a little too hard on it when it was hot. That's the second one in 15 years, I think? I'm hoping the steel has more longevity.

I can't imagine what would hurt a steel. I have accidentally dropped my in the snow after pulling it out of a hot oven when it was frogotten and it was fine.

ViolaMum 04-10-2020 10:25 AM

Exactly. It might eventually warp. Or get dented. Maybe?? This thing is such heavy-gauge that it feels like it should last forever. I'm hoping it goes on the list of things my kids argue over when I die, with the punch clock. :giggle

Aerynne 04-10-2020 11:39 AM

So it often comes to a two of three proposition. The three things I want are lightweight, unbreakable, and safe. It seems I can have any two of those, but steel seems like the best option I think.

Soliloquy 04-10-2020 12:50 PM

I think of stainless steel as safe. :yes

Aerynne 04-10-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6213129)
I think of stainless steel as safe. :yes

I think they say it is safe except for acidic foods.

ViolaMum 04-22-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6213165)
I think they say it is safe except for acidic foods.

How so? Stainless steel cookware does not react with acidic foods. (While cast iron definitely does.) I can't imagine bakeware being any different. I'm thinking out loud here....... lemon bars and the like can take on an off taste when baked in aluminum pans, but I've never noticed it with steel (or Pyrex, for that matter.)