Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Tree Change Dolls (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=513129)

MaySunflowers 04-07-2015 08:28 AM

Tree Change Dolls

I've decided to find myself a craft to do and have landed on attempting to make tree change dolls myself! I've not actually done one yet but have started to collect some Bratz dolls that I am watching for in secondhand shops (as these are not something we've ever bought!) I need to just find the right paint brush and the right sealer and I will be ready to get started.

I was feeling very nervous about making the eyes but I've been looking at the lady's facebook page who does them and realized not a single doll she's made has even eyes... whew! Less pressure on me then!

I can't wait.

AngelaVA 04-07-2015 10:07 AM

Re: Tree Change Dolls

Excited to see how it comes out.

Hermana Linda 04-07-2015 10:19 AM

Me too!

Sent by Tapatalk from my phone

Kiara.I 04-07-2015 10:41 AM

Ooh, fun.
Do you have sugru for wellies? Or, even better, are you *making* the wellie material yourself? :popcorn

Sparrow 04-07-2015 11:52 AM

I can't wait!

Hopetobe 04-07-2015 12:05 PM

I have no idea what that is! Off to google...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers 04-07-2015 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara.I (Post 5905637)
Ooh, fun.
Do you have sugru for wellies? Or, even better, are you *making* the wellie material yourself? [emoji14]opcorn

Do you mean what am I doing for the shoes? Hah, that might be tricky! The bag I've bought of dolls and accessories seems to also come with at least one set of plain feet I thought I'd be able to make slippers for.... still figuring out if I get stuck making over the heels... might collect packs off ebay if this goes well.

MaySunflowers 04-08-2015 08:34 AM

I did a bit of costing... will be a heck of a lot cheaper if I stalk ebay for job lots of the more normal looking bratz shoes than it would be to make shoes/boots myself! It seems about £6 for enough sugru to make maybe 2 pairs of boots... whereas I've just ordered 8 pairs of boots/shoes on ebay for £7.95 (free postage).... none of those are the crazy stilletos, nice 70's sort of boots and just regular shoes/sandals... age appropriate.

Will keep stalking ebay for more.

Next week when my kids are in school I shall try to get on my first attempt at painting and sewing new clothes!

Kiara.I 04-08-2015 08:52 AM

Did you try costing out the homemade version of sugru? I'd be curious how it compares.

MaySunflowers 04-08-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara.I (Post 5905981)
Did you try costing out the homemade version of sugru? I'd be curious how it compares.

Not really, I don't know how to make them otherwise. I found something else, some sort of beads you add warm water too and mould them which was £20 for 500ml which was a better price but I don't know how well that works.

MaySunflowers 04-17-2015 05:04 AM

I've come back with an update on how my test doll is coming along. I've not had the time I hoped to get farther ahead, but I am excited with what I've done so far.

This is my first EVER painted face, and though I'm sure there is a lot wrong with it, like symmetry and the eye color isn't exactly smooth, and the eyes are a bit far apart... I think it is pretty good for a first try and with practice I think I just might make some decent doll faces in the future.... I do have 7 dolls in a bag waiting for a new lease on life, after all.

I still need to trim this doll's hair, paint the hands (gloves), red rubber boots and undies then make clothes. Oh, an I haven't varnished anything yet either.

twoplustwo 04-17-2015 05:36 AM

Never heard of Tree Change dolls & now thanks to google I saw the video & webpages & I am totally :heart

She has new ones going on sale tomorrow. Tomorrow Australian time, not sure what time that is EST or what the cost is in US $!

I would love to get one, but my daughter never really had any interest in little dolls.

She got some hand me down Bratz dolls & didn't like them so we quickly donated them (since I didn't like them either)

We got a ton of hand me down Barbie stuff & she gave away or sold (at her own little garage sale) almost all of it. (Barbies, Ken, a 3 story house, 4 cars, etc etc).

The only doll she has ever played with is her American Girl dolls (by AG doll, I mean both AG and her knock off Target ones).

I noticed in the video one of the little girls said how the Tree Change dolls look more like them. I wonder if thats why my dd never liked Barbie but did American Girl doll.

Maybe we should make our own. :think

I could take her shopping for one. I can help her clean it fresh. My dh could help her repaint it & sew her new clothes. :think

A summer project maybe?

Also, yours is turning out AMAZING! LOVE IT! Thanks for inspiring me! :heart

MaySunflowers 04-17-2015 08:12 AM

Definitely give it a try!

AngelaVA 04-18-2015 01:02 AM

Cute, I love the freckles.

MaySunflowers 04-29-2015 04:53 AM

Right... so I couldn't get comfortable with test baby's face... so I erased most of it and started again. I think I did some things a bit better this time. I'm hoping to clean it up and fix the bits I don't like still.... wish I had a MUCH steadier hand! But overall... I like this better than the first attempt. Picture in spoiler