Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   2.5yo throwing up since Monday - update posts 9 & 12 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446867)

StewardofLOs 04-21-2012 06:29 AM

2.5yo throwing up since Monday - update posts 9 & 12

DD has been fighting a stomach bug since Monday. She was fussy all day, had a hard time sleeping, then threw up around midnight. Since then, she has been throwing up anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours after ingesting fluids (mainly breast milk and a little water). She developed a low-grade fever Tuesday evening, but it hasn't been constant - sometimes she'll have a fever, other times she won't. :shrug3 She's weak, but she's playing on the couch/bed between throw up sessions..

Would you take her in? I'm not sure that she's dehydrated, I'm just worried that she keeps throwing up. Can they even do anything about that? Will an Urgent Care treat her? I *really* don't want to go to the ER on a weekend...:nails

mamacat 04-21-2012 06:56 AM

Re: 2.5yo throwing up since Monday - when would you take them in?

would not want to do a UC or ER on weekend either. do you have a reg dr. with an AFTER HOURS LINE?WONDERING IF THEY COULD CALL IN SOME PHENERGAN TOPICAL CREAM TO USE TO BREAK THE CYCLE whoops hit caps are you giving regular water?that can cause vomiting with a sore stomach lining.would get smartwater and start with that along with the nursing a little bit every 10 minutes or so still wet diapers? would def chck in with someone after all these days of vomiting........

Psyche 04-21-2012 06:58 AM

yes

SouthPaw 04-21-2012 06:59 AM

For me, that's long enough that I would take her in.

cheri 04-21-2012 07:00 AM

Throwing up like that for 5 days? Yes, I would absolutely get a doctor involved.

IME, Urgent Care is not so great, especially with children. If you can't get your regular doctor, an ER is a better choice than Urgent Care.

MercyInDisguise 04-21-2012 02:34 PM

I would try her ped/primary care doctor and after that I might hit the ER if I couldn't get ahold of them. :hug

november 04-21-2012 03:04 PM

I am the type to hold off as long as possible, but vomiting for 5 days is definitely where I draw the line. I would definitely take her in. I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this! :(

mamacat 04-21-2012 03:31 PM

How is it going? We caled our ped one time on weekend and he met us in the office so dd could get IV fluids and some topical phergan

StewardofLOs 04-21-2012 05:12 PM

Well we went in. Most expensive Zofran ever. And I haven't even filled the prescription yet.
They didn't even mention giving her fluids. Doc checked her vitals, throat, and ears, then ordered a urine sample. Which meant a cath. (DD has no concept of making herself go potty). She had just thrown up before we left for the ER, and she had just peed in her diaper before he ordered the cath, so it took a while to get anything, and even then they werent sure it would be enough. :(
Doc eventually came back and said there was no sign of infection, but "a significant amount of blood." She's dry down there from being (at least mildly) dehydrated. Couldnt the blood be from that?
Anyway, he gave us a script for zofran, which I will fill tomorrow.

cheri 04-21-2012 05:25 PM

I'm assuming that you're going to follow up with her ped/regular doctor? That just doesn't sound right to me.

My dd is also 2, and I wouldn't be satisfied with a prescription for Zofran and very little other information.

tracierowe 04-21-2012 05:33 PM

:pray4

StewardofLOs 04-21-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheri (Post 4589239)
I'm assuming that you're going to follow up with her ped/regular doctor? That just doesn't sound right to me.

My dd is also 2, and I wouldn't be satisfied with a prescription for Zofran and very little other information.

Yep, I'll call on Monday :yes3
I hate ERs :sigh

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

oh and every time she's peed since the cath she has cried. :cry

Tandem mama 04-21-2012 06:38 PM

Caths have always caused me to bleed and peeing hurt for a bit of time after. I have a very very sensitive urinary tract. Poor thing :( I wonder If calmoseptine would help. It's often suggested on the intactivist bf groups or irritation of intact boys, I'd think it'd work for a girl. :think it can be purchased without prescription at the pharmacy (behind the counter)

http://www.calmoseptineointment.com/