Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Ways to make first day of homeschool special? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=413386)

Earthmummy07 06-18-2011 09:50 AM

Ways to make first day of homeschool special?

Toby starts official homeschool in September. He is accutely aware that all his friends are starting 'away school', so I'm trying to think of ways to make his first day of school as special as everyone else's.

We're not going for bags of 'work' infact it wont be much different from what we're doing already. But I'm thinking of going shopping with him so he can help pick out his supplies. He's very excited about getting his own pencil case :heart

I'm thinking of asking him to think of something he wants to do a project about, so I can find all the resources out and he can start by learning about something he finds interesting.

I wanna take pictures of him, like everyone else has their first day at school pictures.

We're thinking of going out for a meal to celebrate in the evening.

What else fun can we do during the day?

We'll also be attending our local 'Not Back to School Picnic', but its unlikely to be the first day of term

Leslie 06-18-2011 10:04 AM

Re: Ways to make first day of homeschool special?

A friend of mine starts by baking cookies with the new student. It's sort of their initiation and first lesson in measuring.

Dh brings donuts home on our first day of school. It's the only time we ever have donuts.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teenageearthmummy07 (Post 3977878)
I'm thinking of going shopping with him so he can help pick out his supplies. He's very excited about getting his own pencil case :heart

I wanna take pictures of him, like everyone else has their first day at school pictures.

Those are good ideas. The friend who bakes cookies did School Pictures every first day of school, and she posted their First Grade picture on her blog along with their graduation picture when they graduated from homeschool. She had them hold up a cardboard sign that says what grade they're in and their name, so it looks like a real school picture, and I think she let them buy new school clothes, which they appear to be wearing in their pictures.

tigerlily 06-18-2011 10:14 AM

Last year we took pics, played some board games and I was able to take dd1 (her official start of Kinder year) to a special movie. That was for the kick off of our year.

On the first day of the public school year we went to the zoo.:yes

jandjmommy 06-20-2011 07:25 AM

I made a giant ruler to hang on the door to track the kids' height at the beginning of each school year -- I copied this idea: http://doorcouture.com/collections : scroll through until you get the pic of the door with the ruler, click on it, then you can register and get pdf instructions -- you can just figure it out from the photo if you don't want to register, but they've never sent me email or spam. I used real wood (cut to size for free at Lowe's) instead of foam board so it should last forever.

We take photos of it on the first day of school each year, and it makes a cute door decoration through September.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u...0/IMG_1062.JPG

SalH 06-20-2011 07:29 AM

My kids like special words. So can you take him on "An Excursion"? You'd get some great photos, can make a nice little scrap book page in a "learning story" folder or scrapbook, and it would be a good start to a project.

lenswyf 06-20-2011 07:45 AM

What if you gift him on the first day with his special collection of brand spankin' new school supplies? That always thrills ds.

BearyBlessed 06-20-2011 08:03 AM

The son of our hs group leaders felt the same way. I don't remember it even being on my radar, but I could just not remember it.
Anyway, that's why they started the First Day of School Picnic. It was always on the actual first day of school. We went to this really nice, big park. We took pictures of each grade together and a big group pic, too.

I think my mom also took pics of us each year, before we left for the picnic. But, that might have just been 1st grade. I'm not sure we did anything else to mark the day. But, I am following along here because I would like to do something for my boys.

Leslie 06-20-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenswyf (Post 3981091)
What if you gift him on the first day with his special collection of brand spankin' new school supplies? That always thrills ds.

That would thrill me!

Lady Grey 06-20-2011 09:07 AM

One thing I am thinking of doing is placing the new curriculum on a visible-but-out-of-reach shelf with a big ribbon tied around it - then "opening" on the first day.

littlemama 06-23-2011 06:36 PM

We go out for donuts and take pictures of everyone before we start our first day of lessons. :)

CelticJourney 06-27-2011 08:51 PM

We tend to 'take back the zoo' once all the public schoolers are back in class and it's much, much less crowded (or the park, etc)

tigerlily 06-28-2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemama (Post 3989726)
We go out for donuts and take pictures of everyone before we start our first day of lessons. :)

Love this -- that would be really fun!:heart