Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Proverbs parenting? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=389954)

BarefootBetsy 12-31-2010 10:42 PM

Re: Proverbs parenting?

Well, it takes a long time to go through even just five verses and figure out what all the main words could mean in Hebrew and look at all the different ways they've been translated in English over the years and puzzle out the various ways they could be interpreted... I can understand why not everyone would want to do that when the "rod" verses have such an established meaning already.

But I'd think that doing such a thing would be something a teacher *should* be doing before they teach about it. It really is disturbing that so few (read: almost none) actually bother to do anything remotely like a word/context study on certain passages (not just these) because they just accept what the popular interpretation is without question. They might do it on other passages where the consensus is a little shakier, but since everyone seems to agree that the rod verses mean spanking... who's going to question it? IMO, until and unless we shake that consensus enough for people to actually need to revisit it, almost nobody will.

Peridot 01-01-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpsings (Post 3559950)
What does the Holy Spirit tell you? Does it make sense to you that a loving God would want you to beat your child with a rod?
I hope this isn't coming across wrong, but I think it's important that we listen to the Holy Spirit when trying to interpret His word. Then we can consider how it's been translated and taught and discern which is right.
:hug2

:yes When I was spanking Maximus for hitting his newborn brother, I was saying, 'YOu may not hit him just because he doesn't do what you say!'...

a gentle voice whispered, "but that's what YOU are doing".... :blush

There's a reason we feel uneasy when we start spanking. It makes us feel badly, and that's because it is NOT right. :no

On another note- BareFootBetsy's posts are SO good that a gentleman who is prospanking posted it to his website saying that it was well done and he needed to wrestle with it because there was truth there. :happytears

(its in the comments) :kiss

BarefootBetsy 01-01-2011 08:22 AM

Wow. "Significant merit" :happytears

*must finish next post this weekend - the sicknesses coming to my family will not stop me!!!*

NewCovenantMama 01-01-2011 09:10 AM

There's a really good article at http://parentingfreedom.com/discipline/ which explains why it's actually impossible to take the "rod scriptures" as a command to spank small children, and unlikely that they refer to spanking at all, when they are read in the original Hebrew :) .

Emma

Maggie 01-01-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy (Post 3570965)
Wow. "Significant merit" :happytears

*must finish next post this weekend - the sicknesses coming to my family will not stop me!!!*

Wow, very cool! :heart Where can I find this? Is it on your blog? I couldn't find the comments there. :O

Peridot 01-01-2011 10:21 AM

sorry, its a 'pingback' at the bottom, Steven Borque, I think.

I don't think I can link it to GCM.... uav. :think

BarefootBetsy 01-01-2011 10:59 AM

If you go to the post:

http://greenegem.wordpress.com/2010/...terpretations/

And follow the page all the way down you'll see the pingback between the last comment and the box where you can comment. If you click on the pingback link it'll take you to his post :yes

I believe the Parenting Freedom article is another one I linked to (don't remember if it was part one or part two though). There were a lot of great articles to link to which is partly why that post also took a while to write :giggle

Zooey 01-02-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy (Post 3570581)
Well, it takes a long time to go through even just five verses and figure out what all the main words could mean in Hebrew and look at all the different ways they've been translated in English over the years and puzzle out the various ways they could be interpreted... I can understand why not everyone would want to do that when the "rod" verses have such an established meaning already.

But I'd think that doing such a thing would be something a teacher *should* be doing before they teach about it. It really is disturbing that so few (read: almost none) actually bother to do anything remotely like a word/context study on certain passages (not just these) because they just accept what the popular interpretation is without question. They might do it on other passages where the consensus is a little shakier, but since everyone seems to agree that the rod verses mean spanking... who's going to question it? IMO, until and unless we shake that consensus enough for people to actually need to revisit it, almost nobody will.

This.