Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Simplify your life challenge. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=169450)

ShangriLewis 08-23-2006 02:18 PM

Simplify your life challenge.

Crystal inspired me to post here. I read on another board about a blogger who started a challenge for herself. She is getting rid of 7 things every 7 days. I thought it would be fun to do that, as I have been getting rid of things lately. I feel so good!

I don't have my camera right now, but I will start posting pictures every week.

If anyone wants to join I will sticky it! I've been working on getting rid of useless clothing. But, I have been thinking of getting rid of some more of the baby stuff.

DogwoodMama 08-23-2006 02:21 PM

Re: Simplify your life challenge.

I'm in. :grin

ShangriLewis 08-23-2006 02:27 PM

Here is the blog.

http:// seven-things.blogspot.com/

You will have to correct the link. I don't remember seeing anything strange, but you never know.

2sunshines 08-23-2006 02:42 PM

Sounds like a great plan. I'm in!!!

Garnet 08-23-2006 02:50 PM

me too. I'm sure in this rambler I can find seven things. I'm getting rid of 3 pencil boxes, 3 thesaurauses and 3 dictionaries, 3 protractors. 12 items. there. :laughtears

8/27 got rid of 3t uniform clothes,(2 pants, 1 shirt) and 1 curves thermal waist trimmer.

ArmsOfLove 08-23-2006 02:52 PM

As much as I wish there was nothing left that was get-rid-of-worthy I'm sure there's plenty :shifty And that's only one thing a day--even I can do that :giggle

joystrength 08-23-2006 02:52 PM

8/27= 1. a bike helmet that Nana bought for dress up (won't be using it on kiddos for real ...will get new ones), 2. foam letter puzzle with numbers missing, 3. packing material used to deliver candles (haven't touched in a year!), 4. annoying bowling game, 5. items for latest swap :tu (that takes me over 7!!)

ShangriLewis 08-23-2006 04:35 PM

I'm planning on posting pics, but my dh has the camera and he is still housesitting. Little or small it doesn't matter!

Kelli you've got almost two weeks of stuff there.

4thekids 08-23-2006 04:43 PM

I'm IN! We HAVE to down size as we might be moving to a smaller place. And yeah we did just move 2 1/2 months ago but... oh well tis life. And it will be paid for by dh mowing the lawn. 4 hours of lawn maintance a week pays the rent. We spend that much on our lawn now and don't get paid for it! Anyways that was OT.

Booklover 08-23-2006 04:56 PM

I'd have to do more than seven things to make a dent in my mess, but I'll do it. Maybe if I did 7 things and 7 books a week (at least for a while; books are my weakness).

Naked Camper 08-23-2006 04:59 PM

sounds interesting...get rid of - does that mean the trash, or to goodwill? I guess it doesn't matter, huh? There is so much junk in our home - I'm sure this will be easy for me to get rid of *stuff.*

ShangriLewis 08-27-2006 01:16 PM

I don't think it matters. But, I've got plenty to depart with.

AngelBee 08-27-2006 01:22 PM

I too was inspired by the idea at the other board.

So far this is what we have removed form the home:

1 work van of donations
2 work vans of trash

I have one yard black trash bag of clothes and 2 kitchen trash bags of clothes ready to donate....or maybe sell. :)

Plus....approx 7 books sent off through www. paperbackswap.com

hey mommy 08-27-2006 04:46 PM

I'm in...
9/3/06
Well, y'day I threw away a bunch of stuff in the garage since DH was going to the dump... A couple of boxes, a broken tv tray, a broken ride on car, and some other stuff that I can't remember now...

mamahammer 08-27-2006 08:28 PM

I'm in!

mommyTay 08-27-2006 08:34 PM

Count me in too. My goal is to have our main living area decluttered and junk-proofed by Christmas.....hopefully sooner. With 8 kids, an infant and a teenager, the kids pull things back out faster than I can get it all put away. :banghead

I had planned to work through our schoolroom/playroom today, but ran into a major glitch at lunch time. I found NASTY LITTLE GRAIN WEEVILS had invaded a few boxes of mixes in the cupboards. So we spent the day emptying cupboards and sorting as we put the good stuff away. Saddest part is, for all the hours I worked in the kitchen, the only way you can see the change is to look in the cupboards, the counters are still a mess. :cry2

Garnet 08-28-2006 09:11 AM

I found some too in my cupboards so now everythign comes out of the box or bag it came in and into a air proof plastic container. ewww

erinee 08-28-2006 09:21 AM

I'm in, too. We did a whole lot of decluttering Saturday, and the kids are going to do a mini yard sale on Saturday (and keep what they make), so that's inspiring them to purge, too. :tu I like the idea, because it means I don't have to sit out there all day, I can just kind of keep an eye but let it be their project.

So we've done way more than 7 days' worth, but I will do this to stay on top of it. There is still so much to get rid of, this was just a way to get started.

RealLifeMama 08-29-2006 12:30 PM

OK I really, really need to do this.
Although I think for me, I need to do a more drastic method for a while, maybe 27-fling boogie/Flylady drastic.

I honestly do not know where to start!

ShangriLewis 08-29-2006 07:16 PM

One thing a day and that's it. It's suppose to be simple, so that you will do it. I have 7 piles of blackberry bushes, tree limbs and such in my backyard. My dad is going to help me load it up and get it to the green recycle on Thursday. Can that be my 7? I am so tired, but it feel so good.

ShangriLewis 08-30-2006 07:08 PM

Well, my piles kept growing together. So, here they are. This has taken me three days. I'm sorry I missed the pictures of the boys covered in dirt. I brought a big blanket and all the toys from storage and put it on the lawn. I didn't get before pics because my dh had the camera. I've got to get my own camera.

I feel so good. You can burn a lot of calories doing yardwork.

The Blackberries and brush were grown all the way up to the front of the garden shed and just about as high. They went all the way back to that fence. That shed is pretty big. That is a pile of blackberry bush.
http://static.flickr.com/78/229663680_bc3d1e94ce.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/89/229663031_70daeb1aab.jpg
Monty is keeping the rats away. I hate rats and I was terrified one would attack me. They are huge here. I think they are as big as my cat. In fact, my cat won't catch them Monty has to.

http://static.flickr.com/88/229662433_709798eb32.jpg

GotMyHeartFull 08-30-2006 07:14 PM

I'm in on this!!

RealLifeMama 09-01-2006 08:55 PM

So, do we just edit our post saying we are doing this?

I got rid of 5 or so DVD's this week, but they will eventually come back to me so I guess that doesn't count.
I threw out 2 catalogs yesterday
I threw out a pillow today.
Sept. 2- 1 children's book; 1 undergarment
Sept.3- a LLL catalog from 2002!!! and a child's game from Wendy's; some papers of DD's, and some dead flowers.
Sept 5: a kid's puzzle, some recipes I cut from a magazine

GotMyHeartFull 09-02-2006 06:08 AM

I forgot to count :doh But I threw away at least 6 pieces of clothing (too stained to donate) and some small outside toys

tinybutterfly 09-03-2006 08:25 AM

Oh, I keep talking about decluttering my basement, I do a little, the basement floods, then things get stacked up and are REALLY disorganized, then I try again, get distracted by life or by trying to declutter somewhere else...and keep buying stuff that comes INTO my house! :hunh

I have good intentions. Oh, and I READ tons of books on how to simplify our lives...putting it into practice is a bit harder, though. I am still trying!

I do declutter closets and drawers on a regular basis, but it seems like even that is a neverending cylce.

7 things a day...it may be worth a try.

mamahammer 09-03-2006 07:42 PM

I went through the kid's dressers today and now have a big bag of trash and an even bigger bag of Goodwill clothes :tu

AmyDoll 09-03-2006 07:59 PM

I cleaned up Sam's craft table - I threw out dried-up playdoh, dried-up markers, a Smokey-the-Bear Coloring book that was in disrepair, A cardboard Simba mask that was scribbled on, and old drawings that weren't cute/interesting.

Quiteria 09-03-2006 08:20 PM

Let's see--
30+ clothes in the swap

To my mom today--
3 items of hers

And I packed a bunch of ds's outgrown clothes--not gone, but not cluttering his dresser drawers either

In the next 7 days...fabric scrap that I have no use for, and I returned two more items to mom...and she sent home with me a box of clothes, a bag of toys, and a child-size table just like the one we alreay have... :banghead (Gotta love that grandma instinct!) Guess I better catch up since i should have done 4 more items as it was... :think

phermion 09-09-2006 06:46 PM

:tu I'm in!
Lemme see....what can I grab and chuck? :think

gabriola 12-06-2006 09:34 AM

For those of you planning on accepting this challenge I would highly recommend reading the book "Scaling Down - Living Large in a Small Space". Check out this blog for some inspiration. As a result of this information I have taken 1 large plastic garden bag, and 3 boxes full of stuff to the Salvation Army and filled another garbage bag full of papers and magazines to be recycled.

http://www.northofthe49.com/blog/?p=66

Garnet 12-06-2006 12:59 PM

this weeks chuckage :giggle 0-3mos boys clothes and a snowsuit, 2x shirts and jeans, 2x maternity top, boys coat sz 7, childrens place coupons, all given away via freecycle.

Jillian 12-09-2006 04:54 PM

I am accepting this challenge, because we are moving next week. And I'd like to get rid of every single thing I don't need or haven't used this decade. I already went through ALL our clothes, including 9 years of childrens clothing that I've kept ALL of. So, it is now in bins, organized by size, all nice and neat. :phew

Now, I just have to go through everything else :giggle In one week! :nails I am only bringing with us the things we dearly love and can't possibly part with and the things we use on a regular basis. That's it! :yes

It will be nice to go into the house without any clutter! :-)

RealLifeMama 12-10-2006 07:23 PM

I am glad to see this revived.
I have been getting rid of a few little things daily.
Magazines,
A pile of old recipes I had cut out but haven't tried and probably won't
A box of little girls clothes
Two bags of my old clothes to good will
A coffee carafe and a glass pie plate
a drawer full of expired coupons

I have not gotten rid of anything today, but I will accept the challenge to rid myself of at least one thing today, and post later what it was.. certainly I can find something.

fourbygrace 12-26-2006 09:51 PM

I just found this thread and am going to join in this week.

I just freecycled a cookbook, two other books a DVD, and 4 blankets.

Mary

Embracing Grace 12-27-2006 09:33 AM

This thread is very inspiring! We just moved about 5 months ago, and I got rid of A TON of stuff. Dh and I are such packrats and messies. Well, 5 months after the move we are cluttered again..... so yes, I am joining in! :yes

marathonmom 12-27-2006 02:46 PM

:yes

me too

mommyTay 12-27-2006 09:34 PM

Sis and I have been in major simplify mode. We thinned out the toy stash before Christmas, mostly because we knew the foster kids would be getting more toys than we would ever find space for.
This week, we sorted Mouse & Jacks dresser and took out a garbage bag of small and rarely worn clothes.
We are also cleaning up and donating all the baby items we are no longer using.....2 extra cribs, port-a-crib, saucer/bouncer, baby swing, bouncer chair and a bunch of other baby toys and stuff.
My mom is taking all of it to a friend who is the director at the pregnancy center.

all that out of the house and this place is still crowded! :hunh

tinybutterfly 01-06-2007 02:01 PM

I am sorting through old videos, dvd's, cd's...and eventually books. I am feeling sooo overwhelmed with all our stuff. But...I am the only one in my household who sees all this "stuff" as a problem! :jawdrop

GotMyHeartFull 01-07-2007 08:03 AM

I filled a box with giveaway stuff, and have 2 trashbags in the garage to take to the thrift store
This is one of my main goals this year

RealLifeMama 01-08-2007 11:28 AM

Well, we got rid of several small toys last week, took them geocaching, so we traded them for other small ones, but at least these get attention!
This week:
I got rid of 4 washcloths and a towel
Some makeup I no longer use
and a car