Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Garden Planning (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522495)

charla 04-01-2017 08:22 AM

Garden Planning

How are your plans coming along for a garden this year? What are you planning to grow?

greengirl19 04-01-2017 08:29 AM

Re: Garden Planning

we're finishing off the last of the radishes today. My collards are still small but it's getting too hot for them so we'll likely have to eat them small.

I'm not sure how much I want to commit to for summer (which starts about now where we live) given a few big hurdles - my raised beds are no longer in full sun due to trees that have spread and we're expected to have an even drier year than last year and I just cannot keep stuff watered.

charla 04-01-2017 08:34 AM

My asparagus has taken off this year. I have a very small plot and I've harvested at least $18 dollars worth in the last couple weeks.

I have a couple bag gardens on my deck and I think I want to plant spinach and radishes in those. Then in my 4x4 garden, I want to try tomatoes and cucumbers and herbs. I didn't have much success with any of it last year so am still unsure what to try. :think

HuggaBuggaMommy 04-01-2017 09:29 AM

We still have snow. The first things that go in the ground here are snap peas, usually mid-April or a bit after.

We've done raised beds for the past 5 years. I used to really like them, but our space is limited (there is only a small area of our yard the gets enough sun for the garden) and now I'm finding the beds limiting as well. This year we're planning to rototill and use the entire area for planting. I hope we'll be able to grow much more.

PrincessAnika 04-01-2017 12:46 PM

I have some seeds I need to start and we'll need to find a mantis we can borrow (too hard on dh to dig up the beds and I cannot right now with baby). Other than that....peas didn't do well last year. Or peppers. Or tomatoes. Beans did though. We'll orly try all again, along with some lettuce onions and carrots - the carrots have always done well. I think next year we'll have to expand our garden - 3 4*4 raised beds isn't much for 5 kids. :giggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaybeGracie 04-01-2017 12:58 PM

I plan to keep our garden simple this year (baby due mid-June). We'll do snap peas, carrots, green onions, spinach, lettuce, and basil. Possibly cherry tomatoes. No cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon, or broccoli this year.

2sunshines 04-01-2017 03:30 PM

We have two raised beds and I try to keep it simple too. I will probably do pretty much the same as last year -- one of the beds I will plant 4 heirloom tomatoes plants and 4 herbs (definitely parsley and basil, I have done a few different ones for the other two depending on what I feel like...). The other bed I will do zucchini and one other plant.... Depending on what I feel like on market plant buying day. :shifty Last year I did romaine lettuce which started out amazing until the bunnies chewed through my fence. So I won't do that again...

ServingGrace 04-23-2017 06:34 AM

We have no actual garden this year! I am jotting down some permaculture design plans for each of the properties we will be looking at this spring though. If that falls through and we end up in an apartment again my green thumb is going to fall off, haha.

greengirl19 04-23-2017 09:11 AM

I've gotten motivated and done a lot in the past few weeks. I planted tomatoes in the middle of the front yard. 2 new patches of strawberries, a few new blueberry bushes. Lots of weeding and a few new flowers too!

backtobasicsmum 04-23-2017 09:03 PM

Definitely not doing any gardening yet (snow forcasted overnight ), but thinking about what I'll tweak from last year.

We put up 5 metal trellis on our back fence (faces south) with snap peas and pole beans. Snap peas fizzle out so quickly but the beans produced a very long time. So I think I'll just do beans on all the trellis.

Then in front we have room for zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinach, carrots, and lots of cucumbers. I'll probably rotate plant placement to not stripe the soil.

gerberadaisy 04-23-2017 10:37 PM

we'll plant in the next few weeks.
Tomato
cherry hot & jalapeno peppers
carrots
wax beans
bush beans (from son's "Seeds" class at the environmental center)
Pumpkin (both from heriloom seeds & son's pumpkin from yesterday's Earth Day Festival)
melon
watermelon
asparagus (from seed so hopefully in about 2 years we'll have some)
cucumbers
zucchini
radishes
peas
& we'll attempt popcorn for the first time.

last year most of our garden was decimated by wild life. This year we have a fence but I still think it's horribly inadequate. we need the rabbit barrier too but hubs doesn't agree with me so we'll see

charla 05-13-2017 01:34 PM

I finally got to plant today!!! :jump My mom was here and helped me so that was fun to spend time with her. :heart I planted spinach, radishes and kale in my bag garden on the deck. I planted two tomato plants, an jalapeno plant, and one hill of cucumber seeds in my 4x4 garden. It already had a chive plant that has come back for several years. I have sage and mint in another flower bed that comes back every year. Then I planted a few vinca flowers in two pots on my deck and I planted zinnia seeds in another pot. Dd planted herbs in her rectangular pot on the deck - rosemary, oregano, basil, and parsley. This time of year makes me so happy. :) I'm praying that the garden will bear fruit.

2sunshines 05-13-2017 01:42 PM

We still have freeze warnings some nights. Usually not safe to plant till at least memorial day weekend.

BUT I did pull the weeds from my garden beds today! :shifty THat's progress. Next I need to finish that and then rotortille.

gerberadaisy 05-13-2017 04:01 PM

We've yet to plant because it's been too cold. Still with frost warnings some nights. Hopefully soon.

esperanza 05-13-2017 04:18 PM

Is this a good place to ask for HELP?! :) I'm not a gardener at all. I have vague memories of a garden when I was a child, but I don't remember anything about what we did to take care of it or plant it. I had this really great idea to get ds a garden seeds kit for Easter. It's super cute, but I obviously didn't think through what we were were going to do with all his seedlings. He has six different plants that have sprouted and probably should have been transplanted forever ago. Beans, radishes, summer squash, watermelon, carrots, and cucumbers.

I went to Home Depot and left with two bags of soil. Ugh- what is it called? Not topsoil, but the soil you use to make a raised bed? That's as far as we've gotten. We have a big backyard, but I don't want a garden to be in the way of where ds plays. I was really hoping we could just have some pots with plants (I must have been thinking that when I decided to get the kit), but I guess the watermelon and summer squash are going to need a lot more space. I have little motivation to put a lot of work into this, but I also know that ds will be thrilled if he actually gets some fruit and vegetables. I also have very limited time with help from dh. We've been saying "tomorrow" forever about this. What do we do??!! Our backyard faces west if that helps.