Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Cinco de Mayo recipes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527050)

RiverRock 04-29-2019 09:44 AM

Cinco de Mayo recipes

My cookbook club is celebrating Cinco do Mayo, and I am drawing a blank on what to bring. Any favourite recipes? Gluten free preferred. Vegetarian recipes welcome (there is one vegetarian in our group) but not necessary. Somewhat authentic or with a good story behind the recipe will help make it easier for me to talk about why I chose that recipe. Appetizer, main, salad, dessert...any category is good. I appreciate your ideas, recipes, or any links you might have.

ViolaMum 04-29-2019 10:36 AM

Re: Cinco de Mayo recipes

Dos Equis and Margaritas say Cinco de Mayo to me. :bag :giggle

Sorry, I'm not much help, huh? I'm an avid cook and an incorrigible baker, so usually i've got a dozen ideas. But Mexican appetizers (guac, tacos, etc.) and alcoholic drinks are all I've ever had for Cinco de Mayo. Oh, and Birthday Cake - one of the kids in my Sunday school class had a May 5 birthday.

I'm going to think about it, though and see if I can come up with any ideas. It sounds like fun.

knitlove 04-29-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRock (Post 6178897)
My cookbook club is celebrating Cinco do Mayo, and I am drawing a blank on what to bring. Any favourite recipes? Gluten free preferred. Vegetarian recipes welcome (there is one vegetarian in our group) but not necessary. Somewhat authentic or with a good story behind the recipe will help make it easier for me to talk about why I chose that recipe. Appetizer, main, salad, dessert...any category is good. I appreciate your ideas, recipes, or any links you might have.

Cinco do Mayo is a much bigger holiday in America than in Mexico https://en.m.wikipedia .org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

I would do a good guacamole or tacos. Shrimp or fish tacos could be really good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RiverRock 04-29-2019 03:32 PM

I'm going to look at shrimp taco recipes...and I'll also look up Dos Equis.

ViolaMum 04-30-2019 04:29 AM

Dos Equis is a beer - XX.

RiverRock 04-30-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6178959)
Dos Equis is a beer - XX.

...and not gluten free. :shrug3 I was hoping it was a cocktail. I might need to make shrimp tacos!

Maleldil's daughter 05-01-2019 10:07 AM

Shrimp tacos sound yummy.

Any kind of Mexican or Mexican-American food is good for Cinco de Mayo. Tacos, enchiladas, beans and rice, chips and salsa.

If you want easy but interesting, maybe a unique salsa such as a fruit salsa.

If you want to be extra, make mole. It's a very authentic Mexican fiesta food. (If you don't know it it's an amazing sauce. I've always had it with chicken. Traditionally it's very labor-intensive but there are easier versions.)

If you're looking for a dessert, maybe rice pudding. Red, white, and green gelatin or popsicles are popular where I live.

esperanza 05-01-2019 10:49 AM

Pozole or tortilla soup could both be made vegetarian (for the pozole, I'd leave some out and put meat in the rest).
Flan is always a hit for dessert.
My favorite tacos are tacos al pastor, which are definitely not vegetarian. I just buy the meat preseasoned at our local Mexican grocery store though- not sure if you have one close by.
Tostadas are super easy, can be set up as a buffet where people make their own, and then can also be vegetarian.

RiverRock 05-02-2019 08:13 AM

I was already considering tostadas...because I really like them. :)

Someone might already be bringing pozole... :think

Great ideas to consider in this thread.

Quiteria 05-02-2019 08:15 PM

I associate Cindo de Mayo with fresh handmade flour tortillas. Where I used to live, you'd find the celebration outdoors at a park, and vendors would have the charcoal grills all lit, with a flat surface for tortillas.

I'm drawing a complete blank on anything else. I'll bet there was probably meat to go in them, lol, but I was little. :o

esperanza 05-03-2019 04:37 PM

Do you need a drink? I was thinking about this thread today and it made me think of horchata. Soooo yummy! Non-alcoholic. It's so good when made well, and frankly easy to make because you can buy the concentrate and add milk.

Quiteria 05-03-2019 05:05 PM

Ooh, or iced hibiscus tea. https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/agua-...-hibiscus-tea/

esperanza 05-03-2019 06:59 PM

I am not a fan of jamaica, but I may be an odd one out. I love sweet, cold horchata!

Quiteria 05-03-2019 07:24 PM

I love jamaica...I'd take that over bitter black iced tea any day. :shiver

I was thinking it's cheap, easy to make a huge quantity if you aren't sure how many people will try it. Vegetarian.

Ideally, I'd offer both.

esperanza 05-03-2019 07:50 PM

Yes, it is cheap and easy! I'm just not a fan of any tea, so maybe that's part of it. ;)

tempus vernum 05-03-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6179410)
Do you need a drink? I was thinking about this thread today and it made me think of horchata. Soooo yummy! Non-alcoholic. It's so good when made well, and frankly easy to make because you can buy the concentrate and add milk.

Horchata is so so yummy. One of my favorite treats when we go out to eat :yum Recipe?

esperanza 05-04-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6179445)
Horchata is so so yummy. One of my favorite treats when we go out to eat :yum Recipe?

I love it too, unless it is too watery. Honestly I have never made it from scratch, and my in laws don't either so no guilt there! We just use concentrate and add milk. I think to make it even richer we have used sweetened condensed milk. This is an example of the concentrate. We get ours at the local Mexican grocery store. Should be easy to find in Milwaukee!
Fiesta Horchata Drink Concentrate, 16 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000GIVA0..._cOyZCb9B6BZET

tempus vernum 05-04-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6179455)
I love it too, unless it is too watery. Honestly I have never made it from scratch, and my in laws don't either so no guilt there! We just use concentrate and add milk. I think to make it even richer we have used sweetened condensed milk. This is an example of the concentrate. We get ours at the local Mexican grocery store. Should be easy to find in Milwaukee!
Fiesta Horchata Drink Concentrate, 16 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000GIVA0..._cOyZCb9B6BZET

:tu and yes we r probably within 2 miles of the best stuff :yum we have amazing Mexican grocery stores here. I used to get all our salsa there and now the large grocer carries their brands :yes

ViolaMum 05-06-2019 09:27 AM

So what did you end up taking, River Rock?

Did you have a good time? I'd love to hear about someone else's fun night!

We didn't have a party, just Taco night last night for dinner. But I did add on a margarita. :)

RiverRock 05-06-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6179598)
So what did you end up taking, River Rock?

I was kinda' hoping nobody would ask.:O I was feeling burnt out and skipped. My son had two theatre performances that day (home in between and stage make-up needing to be reapplied before going back) and I volunteered to be snack mom. The cookbook club was more than an hour drive from my home and I didn't have enough energy left to feel safe driving home at night. Sometimes things look like they work on paper, but reality is another thing. Not enough spoons.

I really appreciate the ideas though. I like to host themed dinners from time to time so I'll be looking for horchata mix next time I cross the border to shop in the US (I've never seen it in Canada, even though I can find a lot of Mexican foods). I love fish tacos and never before thought of making shrimp tacos. I'll be making those too.