Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   High School Spanish or French (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523386)

FlyingBlueKiwi 07-24-2017 07:31 AM

Re: High School Spanish or French

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6096810)
Jodi, I did not even see your reply until I had finished replying to FlyingBlueKiwi. Also, I was responding to the question of why Spanish if she wanted to take something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 6096817)
I think since you mentioned it in the OP, people assumed it was part of the equastion.

Yes, I assumed it was part of the question. My apologies. It does sound like you are a bit overwhelmed. :hug

RiverRock 07-24-2017 08:39 AM

I've studied French, Spanish, and Portuguese. They are all "Romance Languages" and similar in structure. After studying years of French, Spanish and Portuguese were easy for me to learn. Your knowledge of conjugating verbs in Spanish will be helpful if your dd studies French. If she takes ballet, she will have an understanding of the pronunciation. Between French and Spanish, I think Spanish is easier to learn because the phonetics are more straight forward.

If she is willing, you could have her practice both languages on Duolingo (free) and then decide after she has a bit of experience with both languages. I know you said you don't have time for her to explore languages, but a week spent learning French should be enough time for her to convince you that she is willing to put the effort in for two years. If she doesn't like French after a free trial, then Spanish can be your back-up. If she isn't self-motivated with French, then she will likely need your help with Spanish.

mamacat 07-24-2017 09:24 AM

Letting her study the language she wants may be the motivating factor and using something like duolingo may help her to enjoy it.My dd was very motivated and did it pretty independently but you may have to set a time each day to help her to stay on task and agree to letting her study the French and use the app if she follows through

RealLifeMama 07-24-2017 09:31 AM

I am overwhelmed trying to get all her required courses in. :yes
I am not against French if she'd do it.
Thanks for the ideas and input.

tempus vernum 07-24-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6096905)
I am overwhelmed trying to get all her required courses in. :yes
I am not against French if she'd do it.
Thanks for the ideas and input.

Junior year was really really tough for dd1. We were :crazy planning and we survived :phew ok so dd just finished her advanced biology last week and has a few more lessons of US history but she will be done before September and we lived through it :O. Sooooo hard that senior year feels like easy street :hug

Quiteria 07-24-2017 11:55 AM

We recently decided to give dd an extra year or two. I know that's not likely an option for you, so not saying that as a suggestion, but just commiserating that the stress of cramming it all into four years has hit here, too. It's tough, and I don't know how they expect kids to fit it all in with quality work. :hugheart

mamacat 07-24-2017 12:16 PM

What helped for us was to use things as elective credit that were not so load heavy.It may be something she already is doing like music groups or other activities.Then you can keep the basic courses meatier if you like

ECingMama 07-24-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6096947)
Junior year was really really tough for dd1. We were :crazy planning and we survived :phew ok so dd just finished her advanced biology last week and has a few more lessons of US history but she will be done before September and we lived through it :O. Sooooo hard that senior year feels like easy street :hug

You know, that reminds me. I graduated from high school a year early. I was *done* and ready for college. I had to take American History by correspondence. Easy. Easy. Easy. I also took it in college where I actually learned something. However, if there is anything you can do like that to make it easier on your whole family, I second it!

I do like Duolingo. I re-do the lessons over and over again until I'm sure I know the words.

tempus vernum 07-24-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6096995)
You know, that reminds me. I graduated from high school a year early. I was *done* and ready for college. I had to take American History by correspondence. Easy. Easy. Easy. I also took it in college where I actually learned something. However, if there is anything you can do like that to make it easier on your whole family, I second it!

I do like Duolingo. I re-do the lessons over and over again until I'm sure I know the words.

:tu dd1 has a very very light load for senior year. She will be working more and enjoying her last year of high school extracurriculars ;)

RealLifeMama 08-09-2017 12:25 PM

I thought maybe we could try Monarch.
Has anyone had experience with their classes? It is very affordable.

I am leaning toward the French now, although I really would love the opportunity to dive into Spanish again.

She has been asking me what certain words Spanish words mean, though, because she has been listening to that song "Despacito" this summer. :lol

Quiteria 08-09-2017 12:45 PM

That song has been driving me nuts! Lol, I can catch words that I know, but not fast enough to string together whole phrases. :doh I need to Google the lyrics so I see the ones I'm not hearing clearly enough.

tempus vernum 08-09-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiteria (Post 6099911)
That song has been driving me nuts! Lol, I can catch words that I know, but not fast enough to string together whole phrases. :doh I need to Google the lyrics so I see the ones I'm not hearing clearly enough.

:giggle I have to do it with English songs too :shifty my kids laugh with me sometimes when I'm singing the wrong words :giggle

RealLifeMama 08-09-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6099899)
I thought maybe we could try Monarch.
Has anyone had experience with their classes? It is very affordable.

Quoting myself, because it just dawned on me that the Monarch is going to pretty much be the same as SOS, right? Just that with SOS, I would own it and could use it for another kid, and the Monarch would just be a license, right?
I think they are the same price.

Quiteria 08-09-2017 01:12 PM

:yes All their products are the same, just formatted as paper, CD-ROM, or online license.

(I haven't tried them, though. Just looked into it since a friend uses SOS.)

RiverRock 08-10-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6099899)

She has been asking me what certain words Spanish words mean, though, because she has been listening to that song "Despacito" this summer. :lol

I recently watched a google translate video that was hilarious. Google translate was voiced over the original video. It can probably be found on youTube.