Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   The official Cal Mag thread (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=247839)

Katherine 04-01-2008 08:49 AM

The official Cal Mag thread

ok.. I was *very* surprised that there's not a sticky that just screams CALLLLL MAGGGGG! :giggle

But since there's not.... (and please redirect me if I missed it) can everyone sort of chip in to this one? Links are fine. One word answers are fine. Whatever you want to say. :smile

Cal Mag is mentioned in every fifth thread here.. on every forum. :giggle i'm still snitching kids Calcium gummy bears :O but probably need to move on to something more.. ahem.. mature.

So..
1) What's the best brand?
2) Any features to look for or avoid (I've seen mention of carbonate free.. ?) ?
3) Typical dosing for adults and children?
4) What issues are caused by Cal/Mag deficiency... or what issues are generally helped by Cal/Mag?
5) Any side effects or cautions? (I saw the thread about sleepiness... SEE! As many times as I've heard CalMag praised, I never knew *that* about it... :doh )

Give me the scoop guys! I've googled this a bit, but I always find out stuff here that Google doesn't turn up. ;)

Raspberries 04-01-2008 08:52 AM

Re: The official Cal Mag thread

I think there might be one in the Cradled forum FAQ. I don't remember. I mean, I know there is one, just not where exactly.

hey mommy 04-01-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raspberries
I think there might be one in the Cradled forum FAQ. I don't remember. I mean, I know there is one, just not where exactly.

Well that doesn't help those of us who never go there.. I think it should be here too.

cobluegirl 04-01-2008 08:58 AM

hmm...good idea...

LadybugSam 04-01-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hey mommy
Quote:

Well that doesn't help those of us who never go there.. I think it should be here too.

cal/mag is good for people who are not pregnant as well :yes

HomeWithMyBabies 04-01-2008 09:11 AM

I sort of hop around brand wise so I'll be curious to see what people like. For the boys we give Peter Gillham's Natural calm stuff, they have baby and kid ones, too.

Quote:

What issues are caused by Cal/Mag deficiency... or what issues are generally helped by Cal/Mag?
I can say for sure my migraines are less frequent and less severe. I noticed it a few months into taking the mag, and then happened to read the bottle where it said migraines could be a sign of a deficiency. I sleep better, too.

Raspberries 04-01-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. Hope I didn't come off as bad or anything. I was just saying that there was something out there somewhere, just wasn't sure where (:lol I know so helpful)

hey mommy 04-01-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. Hope I didn't come off as bad or anything. I was just saying that there was something out there somewhere, just wasn't sure where (:lol I know so helpful)

no, you didn't come off as bad or anything. I was just trying to remind people that some of us don't visit the cradled board and having it as a sticky here too would be a good idea. :)

klpmommy 04-01-2008 09:51 AM

it has helped my restless leg syndrome & solved some, ahem, bowel issues.

I think a sticky here is a good idea, it is kind of "hidden" in cradled & I know a lot of ladies don't go there.

LadybugSam 04-01-2008 09:53 AM

I know that when i take my cal mag i sleep better, i'm more regular, and i don't have leg cramps :tu

I got the trader joe calcium citrate/vit D and then i take the magnesium with it. I take it right before bed.

Calcium citrate is the most readily absorbed calcium, from what i read..

where IS Allison? :P

ShiriChayim 04-01-2008 10:47 AM

:popcorn

hey mommy 04-01-2008 10:53 AM

I take the Natural Calm at night when I remember... I need to remember more often though.. It does help me a lot.

HEmomma 04-01-2008 10:54 AM

I have some.. but I always forget to take it. :blush Maybe I should add a line to my siggy... :giggle

Calliope 04-01-2008 10:57 AM

So is Natural Calm good? I almost got some but the $20 a container thing stopped me. :shrug

Gentle Journey 04-01-2008 11:00 AM

:popcorn

I'm intrested in dosing for kids, adults and pregnancy