Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Anyone use CORE KNOWLEDGE for HS? Pros/Cons? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=243702)

StumblinMama 03-03-2008 01:41 PM

Anyone use CORE KNOWLEDGE for HS? Pros/Cons?

I'll preface by saying that I was an elementary teacher for a few years b/f becoming a SAHM. I used Core Knowledge a little bit while I was teaching, and I'm interested in using it with my dd who will start K in the fall. (That's assuming her dad agrees to HS vs. sending her to our local Charter School). Anyway, do any of you gals use Core Knowledge? If so, what do you see as the pros/cons? Also, which of their materials did you purchase? I plan on using a theme based approach as the basis of our HS. TIA!!

CelticJourney 03-05-2008 09:54 PM

Re: Anyone use CORE KNOWLEDGE for HS? Pros/Cons?

I used is some for early elementry. I used the science, art/music and geography sections. Early on I used the history, but I found I prefered a more focused history as they got older and it was hard to rework their spiral.

I liked that it was written for the child's level. I liked that I had a good resource for the basics for math and science. I don't care for their approach to history.

teamommy 03-06-2008 09:18 AM

I was hoping you would get more responses. :) I really like what I have seen of Core Knowledge. If there were a homeschool curriculum that implemented Core Knowledge, I would consider using it. Maybe someone needs to write one? :giggle

I refer to the "What you X grader Needs to Know" books, but I know that is really just a supplement to the program. I know the Core Knowledge website has a page or two or using it for homeschooling, and I have seen Core Knowledge lesson plans around the internet.

StumblinMama 03-06-2008 09:39 AM

Thanks for the replies, ladies! After digging around some more on their website, I found a Yahoo group of Core Knowledge HS'ers. I've joined them and will see how it goes. Like I said, this is all depending on whether DH will agree to let me HS or not. He has such a great heart for me and our dc. He wants what's best for all of us and feels like the charter school would be great for dd while giving me a little break at the same time (She is so smart, and VERY active). But, I've planned on HS her since she was in my tummy, so I'm having some pretty big thoughts about putting her in someone else's hands for 7 hours a day if you kwim.

Loralie 03-07-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamommy
I was hoping you would get more responses. :) I really like what I have seen of Core Knowledge. If there were a homeschool curriculum that implemented Core Knowledge, I would consider using it. Maybe someone needs to write one? :giggle

I refer to the "What you X grader Needs to Know" books, but I know that is really just a supplement to the program. I know the Core Knowledge website has a page or two or using it for homeschooling, and I have seen Core Knowledge lesson plans around the internet.

http://www.k12.com/ is a homeschool curriculum based on core knowledge sequence.

We refer here to the books, but I don't like their approach to history. I prefer the Montessori approach to history, and end up doing unit studied based on their interests for the real bulk of it. My kids are still elementary aged, however.