Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   SO DH want to go "gluten free" (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=513480)

milkmommy 04-27-2015 08:44 AM

SO DH want to go "gluten free"

I have very big mixed feelings on this...
NONE of us have gluten allergies or have seen any huge benefit from going gluten free (though its only been me and the girls that have ever stuck with it)
I DO believe we can see a LOT of overall health improvements with lowering grains in general focusing on whole foods etc and eliminating processes stuff etc and that alone would mean a HUGE decrease in "gluten".
However I told him I 100% refuse to start "trading" gluten for gluten free item for item. Its hugely expensive and in most cases not at all nutritionally better. Plus its just icky tasting in many instances :shifty
So I'm not going to go out replacing Eggo Waffles with Gluten free frozen waffles for example. The can get a 24 pack of the Eggos for $4 the gluten free that tastes like dirt is like 6 in a pack for $4... :shrug3
I'll gladly stop buying Eggos but I'm not buying 4 packs of the gluten free stuff to make up for it.... Stuff like that. :shifty :shrug3
SOme staples sure I'm willing to invest and have on hand but if he just wants to see what he eats every day as "gluten free" ummm no.. :shrug3

So getting past the vent part and into making this possibly work.. I'm at a lost for some general meal ideas. Breakfast being a HUGE one.

1) He hates eggs Oatmeal Quinona hell eat most fruits "whole" but hates things baked with them hates like cottage cheese yogurt etc...
I told him most bacon is Gluten free I'm not serving that every morning...
SO what exactly does he want.
I find gluten free cereals like say Chex or the so called "healthier ones" expensive tiny box for like $3-$6 on average and void of almost any nutritional value. I know the few times I do bring like Chex home the box is gone in a day because they need to eat 5 times as much to feel anything.. :shrug3

SO lets talk breakfast ideas... (I'll need stuff that wont always require I get up and make it as well)

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

As an example this morning I cooked breakfast.. The girls and I had scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil Margaret had some blueberries with hers and Cecilia and I had a banana. (few berries left or I'd have joined Margaret in those)
Overall cost effective simple make with in a few minutes with extremely little effort.. High protein healthy fats and will fill tummies...

DH wont touch the eggs so instead he made him self 2 toaster waffles (walmart brand) covered with log cabin syrup and added 2 bananas to the mix.

CelticJourney 04-27-2015 08:45 AM

Re: SO DH want to go "gluten free"

Call Quaker Oats and double check, but I think dh called and they are basically gf, but can't label their products that because they are manufactured on machines that make other things with gluten.

Protein bars are often gf. Yogurt, cheese, fruit.....

Be careful that you don't replace wheat with lots of rice based items since increase in rice increases other chemicals that you might not want.

milkmommy 04-27-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 5911587)
Call Quaker Oats and double check, but I think dh called and they are basically gf, but can't label their products that because they are manufactured on machines that make other things with gluten.

Protein bars are often gf. Yogurt, cheese, fruit.....

Be careful that you don't replace wheat with lots of rice based items since increase in rice increases other chemicals that you might not want.

yea see above... :shrug3 I'm totally cool with using quaker oats (since were not actually gluten allergic I'm not worried about some "trace" gluten such as with quaker oatmeal...
regardless though he wont touch it... Wont touch yogurt he will eat cheese but like a TON which I think contributes way more to his "gut' issues than many grain choices. Fruit alone isn't going to work. and its already hugely expensive...

This is the man who commonly eats 2 BIG bowls of cereal adds in 2 toaster wffles or plain toast or bagels etc (what ever he can find) adds 2 FULL pieces of fruit and if I happen to have like protein bars around (that he "approves") he'll grab 2 of those as well.... Yea its ridiculous.

BTW his overall weight isn't all that terrible. Hes got that "carb" belly weight but overall he is in decent shape. He an avid hiker and gardener both which keep him active.
All of us *including Cecilia* could stand to loose about 25-50 lbs... to be in a more ideal place.

WanderingJuniper 04-27-2015 08:51 AM

I understand your frustration!
Protein bars might be a good option if breakfast is the biggest culprit.
My gluten free girl only eats eggs an egg bake, she only eats oatmeal if its baked into bar and even that is hit or miss. She does like granola. She does like protein shakes and protein bars. Those two are her staple breakfast. The rest of the day is easier but breakfast ugh!

ReadingMommy 04-27-2015 08:54 AM

Ideas...

Breakfast casserole using eggs, potatoes, etc to be reheated
If you're ok with corn tortillas you could do breakfast tacos to be reheated
Smoothies
Apple and nut butter
Hard-boiled eggs
Meat patty with avocado or guacamole
I have one grain-free muffin recipe I like...I use less sweetener than the recipe calls for: http://comfybelly.com/2011/10/pumpki.../#.VT5bJ5PTkzx

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Just saw the part about no eggs. Now THAT throws out half our breakfasts!

milkmommy 04-27-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadingMommy (Post 5911594)
Ideas...

Breakfast casserole using eggs, potatoes, etc to be reheated
If you're ok with corn tortillas you could do breakfast tacos to be reheated
Smoothies
Apple and nut butter
Hard-boiled eggs
Meat patty with avocado or guacamole
I have one grain-free muffin recipe I like...I use less sweetener than the recipe calls for: http://comfybelly.com/2011/10/pumpki.../#.VT5bJ5PTkzx

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Just saw the part about no eggs. Now THAT throws out half our breakfasts!

Yea the no eggs with DH is HARD! however some good idea for the rest of us. :rockon Oh and yea he doesn't like avocado either :doh or pumpkin :shifty

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote:

Yea that a whole other issue.. the amount of rice this man eats is horrific. (he'll make it on his own as well).. I'm not anti rice even plain white but he'll make servings meant for 4-6 people and eat it all him self.

ctab 04-27-2015 09:56 AM

One thing I love is to make bacon on the weekend, and sauté veggies for a couple days worth of breakfast in the bacon fat. It gives it that bacon flavor without having to have several pieces of bacon everyday. Things like butternut squash, sweet potato etc give it a nice carb feel, but a lot of times I just did red pepper, onions, mushrooms,etc. I then reheat the veggies for breakfast ( I did top mine with an egg). Maybe that with chicken sausage or othermeat you wouldn't mind him regularly having.

knitlove 04-27-2015 10:09 AM

Would he eat potatoes for breakfast?

We eat eggs, sausage, fruit and a carb for breakfast.

Does he not eat eggs at all? My non egg liking girl loves meekas ( I have no idea how to spell it) tortea chips in scrambled eggs. Some how a hand full of crunched chips turns scrambled eggs from' I will scream and flop on the floor if they touch my plate ' to' I have to eat half a cup of them'

milkmommy 04-27-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctab (Post 5911617)
One thing I love is to make bacon on the weekend, and sauté veggies for a couple days worth of breakfast in the bacon fat. It gives it that bacon flavor without having to have several pieces of bacon everyday. Things like butternut squash, sweet potato etc give it a nice carb feel, but a lot of times I just did red pepper, onions, mushrooms,etc. I then reheat the veggies for breakfast ( I did top mine with an egg). Maybe that with chicken sausage or othermeat you wouldn't mind him regularly having.

:giggle I feel like I'm being difficult... I'm not against using meats just not going to cook up whole slabs of the stuff daily. ;)
But again we get into his weird picky list
Hates any squash, sweet potato mushrooms *he is fine with onions*
SO the issue I get with like meats is there is soo little he'll really eat with it then to make up he'll eat an excessive amount of the meat it self claiming with out hes hungry of use "filler carbs"
Him eating a huge breakfast of bacon" with potatoes or rice day after day isn't really a healthy choice either. Its has its place sure but not every day.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 5911622)
Would he eat potatoes for breakfast?

We eat eggs, sausage, fruit and a carb for breakfast.

Does he not eat eggs at all? My non egg liking girl loves meekas ( I have no idea how to spell it) tortea chips in scrambled eggs. Some how a hand full of crunched chips turns scrambled eggs from' I will scream and flop on the floor if they touch my plate ' to' I have to eat half a cup of them'

its Migas ;) a staple meal around here.. Nope wont touch the stuff.
potatoes are an option but we need more than that...

CelticJourney 04-27-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 5911591)
yea see above... :shrug3 ...
... Hes got that "carb" belly weight but overall he is in decent shape. ....

I read that as 'Oatmeal Quinona', not just oatmeal. Sorry, I don't think I can offer any help.

knitlove 04-27-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 5911639)

its Migas ;) a staple meal around here.. Nope wont touch the stuff.
potatoes are an option but we need more than that...

Thank you I knew I was so far off but couldn't come up with a better option while I was being climbed on

milkmommy 04-27-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 5911641)
I read that as 'Oatmeal Quinona', not just oatmeal. Sorry, I don't think I can offer any help.

We talked he said he MIGHT be willing to try oatmeal. :phew
A lot of his issues come from his mother... :shifty An AWFUL cook who force fed the kids...
HE talks about for example his mother making granola (which I said would be a good idea since I can make in bulk and it can be served just like cereal with out me having to cook every morning)...
He says the whole house would stink horribly... and it was just awful..
I said then sounds like she was burning the stuff and not making it right :shrug3 I said it shouldn't "smell" much different than say baking cookies. :shrug3
If over cooked burned oatmeal is his thoughts on granola then... Well maybe we do have hope.
(he is always at work when I cook it for the girls) :shrug3

bananacake 04-27-2015 11:43 AM

Not a particularly helpful comment, but knowing your DH's eating habits, this doesn't sound like fun :doh

Does he have suggestions on what to eat and how to make this work? I might have missed that.

ArmsOfLove 04-27-2015 12:56 PM

If you do it, I would highly recommend ordering in bulk from Sprouts for your grains. It's much cheaper to buy 25-50 pounds of brown rice flour and cook your own things than it is to buy pre-made gluten-free foods.

ctab 04-27-2015 01:35 PM

You aren't bring difficult. If anything it sounds like your husband is uber picky, and wants you to do all the work. I was thinking more sausage that could be microwaved, or made one day and then reheated later.

Sometimes getting out of breakfast food mode can help too. I know paleo parents actually does soup for breakfast. Are there any veggies he likes? I wouldn't be cool with a meat and potato and that is pretty much it diet either.

Does he like fruit? Smoothies can be pretty filling if you use a protein in there like peanut butter. I use almond milk in mine, but my husband uses water and/or a bit of juice.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Will he eat nuts? Maybe a handful of nuts, fruit and some cheese?