Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   coconut oil- why is it good? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=358965)

greenishmama 05-11-2010 02:50 PM

coconut oil- why is it good?

I have been reading here and there about this and that, and have come across using coconut oil. I bought some today. Now that I have it I'm having a hard time with the idea of eating saturated fat.

I'm too worn out researching things lately. Can anyone tell me why coconut oil is supposed to be good for you and why it should replace butter and vegetable oils?
Also, should it be your main source of fat, a replacement, or just a certain amount a day?

NovelMama 05-11-2010 03:26 PM

Re: coconut oil- why is it good?

I can't tell you about amounts and all that, but coconut is a superfood, and pretty much any way you can get it into you is good. Also, it's the only fat that does not change on a molecular level when it is heated, which is also good, though I can't remember why.

Auroras mom 05-11-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovelMama (Post 3078126)
Also, it's the only fat that does not change on a molecular level when it is heated, which is also good, though I can't remember why.

Well, no - it's not the only oil that doesn't change on a molecular level when heated. However, because it is saturated, like lard and butter, it is very stable at high temperatures. Polyunsaturated fats, such as many plant oils, are very unstable when heated and undergo reactions that change their structure and can create harmful byproducts. Monounsaturated fats are less prone to this problem.

Generally speaking, you should never cook with vegetable oils. Olive oil should be eaten raw on salads and such. Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.

Coconut oil is antifungal in nature, which is great for the body. It has also been found to help in thyroid function. Many folks swear by its healing properties.

As far as fear of saturated fats, it is pretty well established now I think that there is not a correlation between saturated fats and heart disease. There is a lot of info you can read on that, but in the alternative health communities at least, the causal link is considered to be a total fallacy.

My personal stance on it is that I prefer to eat a moderate amount of a variety of wholesome fats - from nuts, butter, fish, meat, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and sometimes coconut oil.

greenishmama 05-11-2010 06:19 PM

so... I know that cooking and baking is probably not healthy in some ways (I don't know a lot about whole foods, raw foods diet, etc.) But what fats or oils SHOULD we bake with or cook with? (different subject I know...)

cobluegirl 05-11-2010 06:40 PM

coconut is good for baking and cooking. I think that Safflower or Sunflower are good too..but not sure on that one.

www.nutiva.com has some good info about coconut oil

Garland 05-11-2010 06:46 PM

:popcorn I'm curious too. I've tried some and love it! Even just eating it by the spoonful is yummy.

mollobe 05-11-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auroras mom (Post 3078264)
Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.

I don't know what "molecular weight" means, but what about baking with co? Is that still healthier than butter?

cobluegirl 05-11-2010 06:48 PM

it makes the best buttermilk biscuits..... yummy!! and pie crusts..

pirandellian 05-11-2010 07:25 PM

I've got some but haven't fully gotten in the habit of using it. I do know that it's a 1-1 ratio if you are subbing it in and you can sub it in for pretty much anything (butter, crisco, etc).

My google reader has like, 200 results for "coconut oil" when I searched, but I pulled up a few blog posts that convinced me to buy/try.

Baseline Fats Chart

FAQ on Coconut Oil and how to use it

Uses of coconut oil

Q&A on Coconut oil

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Oh, and I just noticed one of those said to put it on eczema spots. i'm going to have to try it for my super stubborn patch (the only thing that's been working has been steroid cream.. which I'm out of).

greenishmama 05-12-2010 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Auroras mom;3078264] Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.

QUOTE]

What about baking though- temps are usually like 350F and up.... does it destroy the good properties of it or turn it "bad"?

Lady TS 05-12-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auroras mom (Post 3078264)
Well, no - it's not the only oil that doesn't change on a molecular level when heated. However, because it is saturated, like lard and butter, it is very stable at high temperatures. Polyunsaturated fats, such as many plant oils, are very unstable when heated and undergo reactions that change their structure and can create harmful byproducts. Monounsaturated fats are less prone to this problem.

Generally speaking, you should never cook with vegetable oils. Olive oil should be eaten raw on salads and such. Coconut oil is lower molecular weight than the oils in butter even, so it should be used only at lower temps when cooking.

Coconut oil is antifungal in nature, which is great for the body. It has also been found to help in thyroid function. Many folks swear by its healing properties.

As far as fear of saturated fats, it is pretty well established now I think that there is not a correlation between saturated fats and heart disease. There is a lot of info you can read on that, but in the alternative health communities at least, the causal link is considered to be a total fallacy.

My personal stance on it is that I prefer to eat a moderate amount of a variety of wholesome fats - from nuts, butter, fish, meat, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and sometimes coconut oil.

Does this mean that we really shouldn't be making popcorn with it(since that uses high heat)?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenishmama (Post 3078423)
so... I know that cooking and baking is probably not healthy in some ways (I don't know a lot about whole foods, raw foods diet, etc.) But what fats or oils SHOULD we bake with or cook with? (different subject I know...)

I think it depends on what camp you decide to go with.

I recently heard a speaker(affiliated with Weston Price, I believe) saying that all vegetable oils(corn, soy, sunflower, safflower, canola etc) are really bad for us, even if they are organic.

He recommended cooking/baking with lard, butter, palm fruit oil and coconut oil. (All organic/pastured/no abx, etc where that applies)

Here is a smoke point chart on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point
It confuses me, though, because it says extra virgin olive oil has a smoke point higher even than coconut oil. So is it really bad then to cook on the stovetop with olive oil(like sauteeing veggies and such)?

mollobe 05-12-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl (Post 3078502)
it makes the best buttermilk biscuits..... yummy!! and pie crusts..

Will you share these two recipes? They sound delish!

Auroras mom 05-14-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenishmama (Post 3078423)

I use butter, coconut oil, and honestly - olive oil (even though I shouldn't).

*** Re - the popcorn question - I use olive oil (I know, I know) or buter usually - but the butter can scorch. I dunno! Maybe use bacon fat, LoL. Sometimes it seems in all this health stuff that we just cannot win for lsoing? Because even if I use the right oil, I bet my pans are poisonous!

mollobe 05-14-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auroras mom (Post 3083940)
Sometimes it seems in all this health stuff that we just cannot win for losing?

That's how I feel - I cut out something or add something into our diets, then I find out something else we rely on isn't good. Pretty soon we'll only be drinking water and eating organic raw carrots. Oh wait, but our water has chlorine and fluoride and the carrots were grown with polluted rain water. :doh :-/

cobluegirl 05-14-2010 12:39 PM

coconut oil is supposed to be an excellent high heat oil.... or least I always thought so... :think

Molly..I just take a normal (Betty Crocker) buttermilk biscuit recipe and substitute coconut oil for the butter or shortening. Same thing with the pie crust.