Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Running from you & not coming to you (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=521904)

amylounell 01-28-2017 01:52 PM

Running from you & not coming to you

My daughter turned 2 in December & we're having problems with her running from us or not coming to us. This could potentially be dangerous in certain situations. What could we do about it? She thinks she's just playing so I don't want her to think she can't play with us but she's not going to know the difference if it's serious.
Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerynne 01-28-2017 01:54 PM

Re: Running from you & not coming to you

I would play the stop and go game with my kids. I would have them run (in a safe place) and yell for them to stop and they would stop. Then I would have them go again, etc. It's even more fun if you can borrow another toddler and have them do it together. Then they at least got used to stopping when they heard me say "stop".

mamacat 01-28-2017 02:01 PM

at that age you also have to troubleshoot and make sure they are safely contained when out and about. In a stroller,being carried, in a fenced area if outside at home . It is often one of those age 2 & 3 type stages that they will grow out of but you have to assume that they might dart away quickly if not contained or not being held .Even holding their hand sometimes isnt enough

OnAMission 01-28-2017 04:39 PM

Kids like to play chase! We did both of the above. We played red light/green light, so they were somewhat used to stopping if they heard red light, but the most important thing is to be super proactive. It is my responsibility as a parent to not let them get into a situation that depends on their stopping just because of my voice. In situations where there are streets, parking lots, hot grills, etc, I need to be between the toddler and the danger and/or have the toddler in arm's reach at all times :shrug3

MegMarch 01-28-2017 05:38 PM

I agree with what has been said. Little ones are too immature to be trusted to stay with you or return upon request so make use of any tools (including the fun of stop and go games) that you can.

Mine was not a big runner so this may be a no go for you, but we did a lot of "hand on red (tail light) or my purse" if I was transitioning her from cart to car or something like that.

Don't be afraid to use a child leash. Kids often think they are very cool since they have backpack style ones or enjoy pretending to be a puppy on a leash.

Mother of Sons 01-28-2017 10:52 PM

One thing I did when my kids was little was that I only called them to me for good things. Hugs, treats, cuddles, playing etc. if they were in trouble or it was something they would not like (like taking medicine or what not) I went to them. It made a positive association for coming to me and they didn't resist it but came quickly. Also we played freeze ALOT. It got to be that they would stop instantly even when trying to run away and that usually gave me that extra second to get bear them. Also if they ran and it was an issue, they either had to be carried or hold my hand. They didn't like that much so eventually learned to stay close.

WanderingJuniper 01-29-2017 06:49 AM

2 yo respond so well to playful parenting. If it's in your own yard and it's time to come in make it a game.
If you are out and need to keep her nearby let it be clear that this is what we do to be safe but we can play x game instead.
Holding hands while stomping on the blue times only, portending to be a train through the store, make an elephant walk where you hold hands or coats and swing arms to stay together. Creativity pays off.

It's also a prime time for get off your behind parenting. (Not suggesting at all that you are lazy parening it's just a concept) Go to the child first then make it clear you need them to come with you.

ViolaMum 01-29-2017 07:11 AM

We play Freeze, but call it Statue! (When I call out Statue! they stop and strike a pose - usually the funnier the better. ) Then there's the Parking Lot Rule - everyone must hold hands or be in a cart. I now just have to say "Parking Lot Rule" and they all grab someone's hand or grab onto the cart.

milkmommy 01-29-2017 03:08 PM

Margaret treated stop and come as giggle and run.. however freeze and rewind she thought was super fun and worth following.

rjy9343 01-29-2017 04:37 PM

My daughter didn't respond to playful parenting at that age, so she was restrained. I put her in a shopping cart, stroller, carrier, held her or held her hand. I tried the leash, but she just sat down and let me drag her. As she gets older, she will out grow it, but until then she may need to be contained.