Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Entrees / Main Dishes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=541)
-   -   Go to recipes with Chicken breast! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529267)

2sunshines 01-21-2021 07:14 AM

Go to recipes with Chicken breast!

So I know that I can't be alone in falling in to a mundane routine of the same few meals on repeat.... I love the monthly what's for dinner thread for ideas! But I was thinking it would be nice to have an entire thread dedicated to one specific ingredient and see what people's favourite go to meals are with that main ingredient.

I always have chicken breast on hand.... So share your favourite go to meals that you make with chicken breast and make my family happy with new things to try. :lol

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

I'll start.

Slow cooker cream cheese chicken tacquitos: https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/slo...cken-taquitos/ We do these regularly -- probably once a week. Total fave of the kids.

My other go to chicken breast meals are some sort of shredded chicken with sauce made in the Instant Pot and served over rice. So:

Chicken Curry
Creamy chicken over rice

ViolaMum 01-21-2021 08:19 AM

Re: Go to recipes with Chicken breast!

Oooh, good idea! I'm getting a little bored with what we have.

Skillet/Stovetop:

Chicken cutlets - I do variations, must frequently lemon, but it's sauteed chicken breasts finished with a pan sauce.

Stir-fry - my kids are particularly fond of chicken with broccoli and red pepper

Chicken Lazone

CrockPot/IP:

White chicken chili - we do a traditional broth-y version and also a creamy one from the THM cookbook

My kids adore several variations on Cheesy Chicken - it's eerily similar to your recipe above for the Taquito filling, but with Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere's - I love that stuff!), Buffalo, or Ranch w/bacon

Green Taco Chicken - honestly, this doesn't feel like cooking to me but my oldest makes the request every month or so. Two ingredients - chicken breasts and a jar of green salsa, 4 hours on low. (Any time I try to "muck around" with her dinner by adding fresh ingredients, tweaking the spices, or <gaso!> making my own green salsa, I get reprimanded. :giggle)

knitlove 01-21-2021 08:49 AM

I do stirfry or soup most often with chicken breasts.

My mom will grill up a tun ( like totally cover her large grill) of chicken breasts and then freeze them. She will pull them out to slice and toss on top of salid, pasta or pizza or even to make a sandwich out of

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rdsmommy 01-21-2021 09:56 AM

I make something similar to green bean casserole but with chicken and cheese added. I usually use chicken thighs but today I had chicken breast on hand. I put chicken in a 9x13 baking pan, season with season salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning, mix a can of mushroom soup with either frozen peas or green beans, spread that on top of the chicken, and top with fried onions and shredded cheese. It goes in the oven at 350 or 400 depending on how fast I need it to cook and I bake it for 30 to 45 min.

The Tickle Momster 01-21-2021 10:39 AM

Shredded bbq chicken (IP)
Chicken soft tacos (IP)
Lemon chicken with broccoli & potatoes

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

charla 01-21-2021 11:14 AM

Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Florentine
Chicken with Apple Gravy, Rice Pilaf and Green Beans
Chicken with Artichokes and Angel Hair
My fave that I made with shredded chicken breasts: Chicken Spaghetti

Lady Grey 01-21-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6242288)

Slow cooker cream cheese chicken tacquitos: https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/slo...cken-taquitos/ We do these regularly -- probably once a week. Total fave of the kids.

My family liked the other taquito recipe (chipotle) on that blog. I need to remember to make it again!

The current chicken breast favorite here is tortilla soup in the IP.

tempus vernum 01-22-2021 09:23 AM

:yum

Atsirk 01-25-2021 05:43 PM

Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole we make this one a lot!

ViolaMum 01-25-2021 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6242300)
I do stirfry or soup most often with chicken breasts.

My mom will grill up a tun ( like totally cover her large grill) of chicken breasts and then freeze them. She will pull them out to slice and toss on top of salid, pasta or pizza or even to make a sandwich out of

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I need to do that - grill (or otherwise cook!) a lot of chicken at once to have on hand. There are plenty of casseroles and the like that I shy away from on busy days because I don't have the time to cook chicken first. I know my older two would eat grilled chicken on salads.

Oh, how I wish my kids would eat soup! But...nope. They will eat chicken tomato bisque, if I sautee the chicken breast first so that it's got a crust. And occasionally they'll eat spinach soup. (Except Littlest, "I don't like 'pinach and I don't like soup!! On those nights I make popovers and Littlest fills up on them.)

MegMarch 01-25-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6242298)

CrockPot/IP:

White chicken chili - we do a traditional broth-y version and also a creamy one from the THM cookbook

Could you please share your chili recipe?

I love Penzey's Adobo blend on chicken (add salt!) to use in quesadillas or rice bowls.

Lemon pepper chicken and leftovers used in chicken noodle soup is so, so good.

Bite size pieces seasoned with some garlic salt and then finished with balsamic is a big hit with my oldest. I pull out some plain pieces for the little one.

Soliloquy 01-25-2021 08:25 PM

Here are two recipes for white chicken chili that everyone in my family loves.

https://carlsbadcravings.com/white-chicken-chili/ 30 minute version

https://carlsbadcravings.com/slow-co...-chili-recipe/ slow cooker version

(I've never gotten a dud recipe from this blogger.)

I make panang curry quite often. This recipe is truly, truly good. Tastes like it's from a fantastic Thai restaurant. I often use Thai red curry paste if I don't have panang curry paste and it's wonderful. The fresh basil leaves are key. My grocery store sells them in large quantities for a low price. I add fresh lime juice as I serve it. If I don't have limes, a few drops of lime essential oil work great.

https://carlsbadcravings.com/pantry-...-panang-curry/

I often tweak recipes to make them easier, less expensive, or based on what I have on hand. I've made all 3 of these recipes as is and with tweaks. If bell peppers are crazy expensive, I sub other vegetables or use frozen, sliced bell peppers.

ViolaMum 01-26-2021 05:28 PM

My recipe is still a work in progress. Current incarnation is as follows:

Chicken Chili

1 lg onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced (I prefer red/orange/yellow. Green gets bitter)
2t chili powder
2t cumin
salt, to taste (or use 1 t of Tony Chachere's, omit the salt, and decrease the chili by half)
Chipotle pepper to taste (I use home smoked jalapenos, 1/4 t, which is typically spicier than commercial)
1/2 t dried cilantro
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 small can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 quart chicken broth
2-2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2 inch pieces
1-2 cups soaked cannelini beans
1 10-12 oz package of riced cauliflower, optional

Sweat the onion and pepper in olive oil over med high heat until soft.
Bloom dry spices in the pot.
Add chicken, brown it
Add all other ingredients, bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 3 hours or so.
Garnish with fresh cilantro.

Alternatively, you can dump everything in the crock pot (4-6 hrs on low) or Instant Pot (30-35 minutes). In this case, I use a bag of frozen peppers and onions.

We have a more "green" version which subs out the fire-roasted tomatoes for jarred green salsa, uses fresh jalapeno instead of the smoked, and fresh cilantro. I usually leave out the cauliflower as well for the truly green version.

If you can eat dairy, this is good with shredded cheese and sour cream.