Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Natural Cleaning Recipes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=114066)

pirandellian 03-27-2011 12:41 PM

Re: Natural Cleaning Recipes

rebecca, you can do it! Honestly, the best way is to make sure you have the right tools (basically just vinegar and a sink and a spray bottle) and then just GET RID of the rest. If it's out of your house and you'd have to pay to buy more, you're not going to do it, you are just going to use what you've got.

rebecca 03-28-2011 10:29 AM

Thanks Rachel! I should just pour it all down the drain! I have vinegar and then I'd have all these empty spray bottles to fill!

I may have missed it in this thread, but is there a recipe for homemade dish soap? I'm talking the wash-by-hand stuff, unfortunately I don't have a dishwasher. Really want one though, hehe! :)

MaleikasMum 04-18-2011 05:39 PM

Awesome thread!!! Just made homemade laundry detergent yesterday and am going to start using it tomorrow. I used the Fels Naptha, but found the scent so strong and I'm thinking about switching to Ivory next time. Hopefully it will clean just as good. Also, the recipe I have calls for Baking Soda along with Washing Soda and Borax. Just wanted to put that out there, where I see a lot of recipes says washing soda only.

Grace78 04-19-2011 09:51 AM

I'm so interested in this!

Butterflynjesus 04-28-2011 09:14 PM

Hi there, I'm new to posting, but wanted to say thanks for these recipes. I have many of my own, but I always like trying new natural cleaning recipes.

I was going to ask if you're aware of a shelf expiration (so to speak) on these recipes> I'm wondering if some of the products need to be used faster than others.

Also, I'd love to know where y'all buy your essential oils, as they're rather pricey -I'm always looking for a good bargain.

Thanks!:)

graciousmomma 04-28-2011 09:30 PM

I buy my essential oils on vitacost.com

Momma2Luke 11-01-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothering by Heart (Post 294060)
I wish vinegar came scented :giggle

I've been reading through this amazing thread this morning looking for a good shower cleaner... and saw that someone wished for scented vinegar...

Here is a great orange vinegar how-to:
http://heart-hands-home.blogspot.com...e-cleaner.html

Instead of throwing out your orange peels, throw them in a vinegar filled jar for a few months to make Orange Vinegar. As an added bonus, the orange oils break down to help with degreasing.

renjac 12-16-2011 07:45 PM

I make my own laundry soap do to allergies,and I make my own all purpose cleaner

peep 12-20-2011 04:51 PM

WOW! I had no idea so many people were into making their own! Thanks for sharing everyone :D

natural_mama 12-20-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaleikasMum (Post 3845495)
Awesome thread!!! Just made homemade laundry detergent yesterday and am going to start using it tomorrow. I used the Fels Naptha, but found the scent so strong and I'm thinking about switching to Ivory next time. Hopefully it will clean just as good. Also, the recipe I have calls for Baking Soda along with Washing Soda and Borax. Just wanted to put that out there, where I see a lot of recipes says washing soda only.

I use 50% baking soda and 50% soda ash (a type of washing soda) for my laundry. I've tried pretty much every recipe I've been able to get my hands on and this is the easiest and most effective. Its awesome on nappies too.

tnaallen 09-23-2012 02:24 PM

A newbie here, but I had a silly question. I see alot of people using baking soda and vinegar for laundry. Um... isn't this the combination used to create the explosion part of a homemade volcano experiment? :shifty how does that play out in the washer? :scratch

Any laundry detergent recipes that don't use borax or that are completely natural? Like just vinegar and baking soda? Or do those things not get laundry really clean or leave a good smell?

made4more 10-29-2012 08:56 AM

:popcorn

Amy
Probably on my phone, I don't type well on this thing. Forgive me.