Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   What would cause intermittent blurry vision in a 10yo? update from appointmentpost 24 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=503430)

Aerynne 04-23-2014 02:44 PM

What would cause intermittent blurry vision in a 10yo? update from appointmentpost 24

I'm taking her to the eye doctor tomorrow. When she has it, she wakes up with it and has it all day. The only causes I can come up with is migraines (she does get headaches frequently, as do I), diabetes (no other symptoms), or a brain tumor. Other ideas? Ideas about the likelihood of any of these scenarios?

Zooey 04-23-2014 03:10 PM

Re: What would cause intermittent blurry vision in a 10yo?

I think migraines. It sounds like some of the kind of symptoms that I sometimes have when a migraine is coming on. And I have one cousin who says, that whenshe gets migraine, she sometimes completely loses the sight in her one eye.

Dtswife 04-23-2014 04:41 PM

:hug

My brother had that as one of the earliest symptoms of a brain tumor. More followed, but that was the first weird thing.

The optometrist was actually the one to have him rushed to the hospital for surgery because he could see something was very, very wrong during an eye exam. Until then, my parents thought it was chronic debilitating migraines (an Eye, Nose and Throat Dr. told them that - I think they should have reported him to the AMA).

HomeWithMyBabies 04-23-2014 05:18 PM

Any chance it's allergies? I get stringy whiteish eye goop on days the pollen is bad. It gets stuck to my eyeball and I don't notice it just from looking in the mirror, I only realize it when my eyesight is blurry. Once I clean it out it's fine.

Aerynne 04-23-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooey (Post 5742669)
I think migraines. It sounds like some of the kind of symptoms that I sometimes have when a migraine is coming on. And I have one cousin who says, that whenshe gets migraine, she sometimes completely loses the sight in her one eye.

Interesting. Migraines wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtswife (Post 5742716)
:hug

My brother had that as one of the earliest symptoms of a brain tumor. More followed, but that was the first weird thing.

The optometrist was actually the one to have him rushed to the hospital for surgery because he could see something was very, very wrong during an eye exam. Until then, my parents thought it was chronic debilitating migraines (an Eye, Nose and Throat Dr. told them that - I think they should have reported him to the AMA).

Thank you for being honest with me. :hug Dd has an eye doctor appointment tomorrow and I'll be biting my nails until then. Glad to know eye doctors can see something is wrong if there's a brain tumor (at least sometimes).

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies (Post 5742747)
Any chance it's allergies? I get stringy whiteish eye goop on days the pollen is bad. It gets stuck to my eyeball and I don't notice it just from looking in the mirror, I only realize it when my eyesight is blurry. Once I clean it out it's fine.

Maybe. How do you clean out the goop if you can't see it?

HomeWithMyBabies 04-23-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 5742758)
Maybe. How do you clean out the goop if you can't see it?

I don't notice it until I go looking for it. It comes off in a long string. It's gross. Sometimes I use homeopathic allergy eye drops and that helps keep it from getting too sticky.

Aerynne 04-23-2014 06:00 PM

So I just gave her an eye test and it came out 20/20. Granted it was "for educational purposes only" but that is still interesting. She's the one claiming her vision is blurry. I have no doubt it seems blurry to her, but I'm not sure what's going on (and she did say her vision was blurry when I gave her the test).

ShangriLewis 04-23-2014 06:04 PM

When my son was having eye problems he was sent for an MRI. Hopefully your appointment goes well. Follow your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerynne 04-23-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShangriLewis (Post 5742801)
When my son was having eye problems he was sent for an MRI. Hopefully your appointment goes well. Follow your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was the MRI and what did they find? She now says she isn't sure the blurry vision is intermittent. It might be constant.

I was driving around town with her tonight and asking her about things she could and couldn't see clearly. It seemed her vision is only slightly worse than mine (corrected- uncorrected I can only barely read the E at the top of the charts.

ChristmasGirl 04-23-2014 08:56 PM

Another thought is head injury (concussion)...headache and blurry vision can follow one...just something to consider if there's been a recent bump to the head that find' tween significant at the time. I've also seen this in migraine too. :hugheart

Blue-EyedLady 04-23-2014 10:20 PM

You can have 20/20 vision, and have it still be blurry. Blur is a function of the accommodative system rather than the focusing system. (Though the systems are similar and I can't yet explain the difference. I'm still learning...)

She could be having binocular issues and just need vision therapy. Ask the optometrist if that's a possibility.

Zooey 04-24-2014 04:16 AM

Astigmatism, maybe?
I have a spot in my left eye that is always a little "off". Turns out that its astigmatism.
But it was never caught when I was a kid, because I couldn';t explain what the problem was. :thinkMaybe "blurry" means something different to her than it doea to an adult.

Little Forest 04-24-2014 05:36 AM

Has she compared each eye by itself?

There are so many possible kinds of causes of blurred vision. If it truly is intermittent there are a few serious things that should be ruled out.

I will just point out that you can see 20/20 vision but it can still seem blurred. And seeing 20/20 vision does not rule out pathology.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aerynne 04-24-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Forest (Post 5743118)
Has she compared each eye by itself?

Yes, they are both blurry but one is worse.

teamommy 04-24-2014 09:48 AM

Hope the appointment goes well.