Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Artichoke hearts! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=115567)

Desert Rose 03-28-2005 03:02 PM

Artichoke hearts!

Since becoming a vegetarian, I am trying new things. I tried an artichoke and I liked it. So I bought some frozen artichoke hearts at Trader Joe's. Now, what do I do with them?

:think

flowermama 03-28-2005 06:53 PM

Re: Artichoke hearts!

I'm not sure. :think I'm afraid I don't have any artichoke heart recipes I've tested, but I've found lots of great recipes on this website: http://vegweb.com/ I noticed that quite few recipes come up if you put "artichoke" in the search box. I hope you find a recipe you like, and if you do, please share it with us. :)

Quote:

Since becoming a vegetarian, I am trying new things.
It's fun, isn't it? :smile I've tried so many new things since becoming a veggie. I love it! :heart :)

ArmsOfLove 03-28-2005 06:59 PM

I get TJ's sun dried tomatoes in herbed oil and saute them together, also adding in the olive paste, and add some balsamic vinegar and top pasta with it. If you throw in some canneloni beans it also makes a great topping for winter squash :) I do prefer the canned artichoke hearts, but that's just me.

ShangriLewis 03-29-2005 12:04 AM

Artichoke dip girls!!!!!

1 part Veganiase or Trader Joes mayo
1 part tofutti cream cheese
artichokes ( I prefer the TJ canned ones, but frozen will work) You may need to half or quarter the hearts
sliced green onions
spike seasoning to taste

Mix it up and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes till it's bubbly and browning around the edges. I'm going to try this with canned green chilis instead of the artichokes next time and serve with chips or tortillas or something. I'm thinking it might be like Chili Rellenos.

Artichokes hearts are great in pasta salad. We love them! Saute with some garlic and toss with spaghetti and some spike and thyme. I've seen Artichoke and Black Bean dip and Artichoke soup. Never tried either though. We save them for the dip. We eat the dip with a good bread or crackers for dinner. Maybe some fruit if we get to it.

Heather

Embracing Grace 03-29-2005 07:44 AM

We had a delicious veggie stew last night for dinner, and the recipe called for 9oz package of frozen artichoke hearts. The recipe can be found in Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker.

HTH

:)

ServingGod 03-29-2005 09:09 AM

There is a great recipe on VegWeb for artichoke heart lasagna....its Great!!!!! Especially with a nice crusty loaf of rosemary olive oil bread. :yum

Desert Rose 03-29-2005 10:02 AM

Wow! I can't wait to try these! :yum

Gailmegan 04-08-2005 12:29 PM

I just throw them in with my sauce when I make pasta. Nothing exciting, but it adds another vegetable that's tolerated pretty well by the little ones.

GrowingInGrace 05-04-2005 12:04 PM

we put them in pasta dishes, cold pasta salads, on foccocia bread and shredded we use them as cheese-replacer on pizzas!