Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Salt encrusted floor (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525213)

Maleldil's daughter 04-24-2018 10:36 AM

Salt encrusted floor

While I was out yesterday, dd (2 yo) managed to dump about a pound of salt on the floor and then dumped a pitcher of water on it and mixed it all together. Dh tried to clean up the resulting slurry by mopping. That lead to a bunch of saltwater basically drying on the floor so now I have this layer of very hard salt crust. Kind of like those salt water art projects kids make. I'm not sure the best way to clean it up. It's tight to the floor - won't brush or scrub up. I'm afraid to scratch the floor - it's tile. Thoughts?

CelticJourney 04-24-2018 10:41 AM

Re: Salt encrusted floor

more water and maybe a shop-vac type vacuum to suck the water up so it doesn't dry. :think

knitlove 04-24-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 6138408)
more water and maybe a shop-vac type vacuum to suck the water up so it doesn't dry. :think

This or hand scrubbing with saturated rags that you change out as soon as the salt starts comming up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Aerynne 04-24-2018 11:18 AM

Soak with water, wait a few minutes, then scrub up. You might have to do it a few times, but it should improve each time.

Maedchen 04-24-2018 11:22 AM

After sopping the floor and getting as much of that up as you can, I would then try some strong vinegar water to cut it and then more water. Or just time?

Maleldil's daughter 04-24-2018 11:47 AM

So I've been trying to scrub it up with wet rags. Maybe I'm not getting it wet enough but I'm having to really scrub at it. I noticed some worn spots on the tile I just scrubbed. I really am afraid I'm damaging the finish on the tile. Maybe if I try to do a small area at a time and really flood it?

Maedchen 04-24-2018 12:19 PM

Are they ceramic tiles or peel and stick tile?

If they are peel and stick, I would be afraid too much water would cause it to turn loose.

If it is ceramic, I would put a towel down and pour hot water on that area and let it sit...................then rinse, and repeat until that area is clear. and move on to the next.

Peel and stick, I am not so sure of. :/

MegMarch 04-24-2018 12:33 PM

Was it fancy salt? You could call it a salt therapy room:P~

Will you let us know how clean up goes?

Soliloquy 04-24-2018 07:32 PM

google is recommending a water/vinegar solution.

I'm so sorry. :(

Love_Is_Patient 04-24-2018 11:45 PM

The salt itself might have damaged the finish. Working with hot water might help?

ViolaMum 04-25-2018 07:01 AM

Salt is abrasive - I've used it like baking soda to clean pots on occasion. If you scrub too much you could very well damage the finish of the tile.

I wonder if you let it dry out and then tap it with something heavy if you could break it up and loosen the grip on the floor. (I'm thinking of when you roast something in a salt crust - you crack the salt layer and peel it off to serve. But that probably involves a lot less moisture to begin with. :think)

I'm really sorry! That sounds like a nasty mess. :hug2

Quiteria 04-25-2018 12:18 PM

I'd try to put enough water to liquefy the salt to minimize the abrasion. I vote for hot towels, or maybe pouring a cup of hot water at a time, quickly covered with a dry towel to soak it up. Scoop up with something gentle like a plastic spatula if you manage to get a slurry again, but it's probably only going to make salt water from the surface rather than revert to slurry since it sounds like it was completely dissolved in earlier attempts. I wouldn't scrub at all...just dissolve and soak up, as many times as needed, in hopes that maybe the finish underneath will remain intact.

Maleldil's daughter 04-25-2018 09:45 PM

Thank you all so much, the solution was lots of warm water - way more than I thought. We poured it in cupfuls, swished, then soaked it up with old prefolds. It did take several passes on the thicker areas near the counter.
Dd was thrilled to help mommy by pouring water on the floor and swishing it around.

knitlove 04-26-2018 03:38 AM

I am glad that you got I up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk