Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Salads & Vegetable Dishes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=540)
-   -   So I bought butternut squash (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=426482)

staceylayne 10-12-2011 03:45 PM

So I bought butternut squash

...and I have no clue what to do with it! Any no-fail recipe suggestions? It can be main dish, side, bread or dessert. I'm just trying to incorporate new veggies in our lives. (Spaghetti squash is on the docket for tomorrow!)

Ready?

GO!

greengirl19 10-12-2011 03:52 PM

Re: So I bought butternut squash

I discovered butternut squash a couple years ago and it is my favorite fall veggie! THe simplest, no-fail recipe is to roast it in the oven. Peel it (be careful, it's hard), scrape out the seeds, and cut it into chunks. Toss them in a baking pan with some oil, salt, either sage or cinnamon, and roast it until it's tender. I've done it anywhere from 325 to 400 degrees depending on if I'm cooking something else at the same time. If you go savory you could also sprinkle some fresh parmesan on it when it comes out of the oven. Yummy!

backtobasicsmum 10-12-2011 03:59 PM

You could cook it and mash it with lots of butter, cinnamon and a dash of sweetener.

Soup from my friend Pamela

**Butternut Squash soup**
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon curry powder
6 cups (about 2.5 pounds) diced butternut squash
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed (I've only ever found larger cans but I still put in 2)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water

1. In soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and curry powder and cook 3 minutes. Add the butternut squash, apples, thyme, white beans, salt and vegetable broth and the 2 cups of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until squash is very tender. About 15 minutes.
2. Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or blender until almost smooth.

Turtle Herder 10-12-2011 04:01 PM

roast it! like greengirl says :yes totally delicious!

shaslove 10-12-2011 04:02 PM

I cut mine up into chunks, and added one chopped apple, one chopped med onion, and 6 c of chicken broth. Cooked it in the crockpot for 8 hours on low, and then ran it through my food processor (you can use a blender) and it is a wonderful fall soup. MMM!

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 4215765)
You could cook it and mash it with lots of butter, cinnamon and a dash of sweetener.

Soup from my friend Pamela

**Butternut Squash soup**
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon curry powder
6 cups (about 2.5 pounds) diced butternut squash
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed (I've only ever found larger cans but I still put in 2)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water

1. In soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and curry powder and cook 3 minutes. Add the butternut squash, apples, thyme, white beans, salt and vegetable broth and the 2 cups of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until squash is very tender. About 15 minutes.
2. Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or blender until almost smooth.

LOL! We posted about the same thing!

Daria_Aleksandrovna 10-12-2011 04:32 PM

Yes, another vote for just peel, chop and put into oven for roasting - especially with proper LARD. Yum yum yum...

It can be tossed on its own or together with potatoes, leeks, whichever leftover vegs you have...

abbiroads 10-12-2011 04:57 PM

I hate peeling it raw so I: cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and bake it, cut side down in a little water, until tender then scoop out and eat with butter and salt.

blondie 10-12-2011 06:19 PM

I cut them in half, scoop out the guts, then bake for about an hour at 350. When it comes out of the oven, I scrape all the flesh out and put it in a bowl with butter. SOOOO GOOD! My husband is bringing home more of them from my parent's garden tonight. I can't wait!!

Kiara.I 10-12-2011 06:21 PM

I do what Abbi does. SO much easier than peeling.

crunchymum 10-12-2011 06:25 PM

I just right now this minute am eating a paleo lasagna made from butternut squash. :yum it's delicious!

http://www.health-bent.com/beef/pale...squash-lasagna

cbmk4 10-12-2011 06:54 PM

My favorite soup is butternut squash soup with Thai red curry paste and coconut milk.

I also made a pasta sauce with cooked pureed squash, sauteed onions and garlic along with vegetable broth and parmesan cheese. It was sweet and savory.

I also chunk it up and roast it with olive oil and garlic.

Can'tTurnLeft 10-12-2011 06:57 PM

butternut squash soup :heart Our favorite fall soup

Sautee 2 apples and an onion in butter till soft.
Add roasted butternut squash
Blend with chicken stock until desired thickness.
Add some sage

AWESOME I like it with some creme fraiche

mrsd 10-13-2011 06:53 AM

I cook squash the same way Abbiroads suggested. Lots of butter. Some people like a little brown sugar for a sweeter taste.

jujubnme 10-13-2011 07:04 AM

So, what did you do?? I love butternut squash in all the ways mentioned above! When I ate grains, I also made a mean squash and kale risotto. :yum

I've just tried spaghetti squash for the first time this year too, so if you get any ideas on how you're going to cook that, I'm all ears. :listen

Barefoot Bookworm 10-13-2011 07:08 AM

I love it if you just peel it, cube it, boil it up and mash it. Lots of salt and butter. So good.